Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    ndnorseman is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Leslie Frazier fulltime head coach

Leslie Frazier...a recap:

Took over a 3-7 heavily demoralized Vikings team AND fanbase...

Week 12 (W): Frazier's very FIRST game as HC. Took the team ON THE ROAD to Washington, and coached them to their first road win of the season, 17-13.

Week 13 (W): Coached the team to a thorough THRASHING of the Bills, 38-14, in what would be the LAST game played in the Dome for the rest of the season, and possibly next season, as well. Please...DON'T point to the Bills as being a shitty team. SO what??? EVERY team in the freaking LEAGUE has to face a shitty team during the season. The WELL-COACHED teams take those shitty teams out to the woodshed...just like the Vikings did to the Bills under Frazier.

Week 14 (L): Supposed to be the 2nd in a 3 game home stretch, but the Gods had other cruel plans, and so the Vikings got to play (and lose) a "home" game against the in-the-Playoff-hunt Giants, 3-21...on a DIVISION RIVAL'S TURF!!! Oh yeah, and Favre goes out with an injury, leaving us with 2nd-string "Sucky McTurnoverstein" and 3rd string "Receiver McRookiestein".

Week 15 (L): The third "home" game of the stretch, only this one got to be OUTDOORS, and at NIGHT, with a STILL-injured Favre, on a college team's frozen field, and against Da Bears, who play out in that crap regularly, since they're an outdoor stadium team. Yeah...gotta love the homefield advantage there...took us to an embarrassing 14-40 loss. I'm sure it's something that should have been overcome by ANY interim Head Coach worth their salt, though...regardless of how raw, and inexperienced his 3rd string Field Corporal was.

Week 16 (W): A beaten down, God-hates-us-PLEASE-let-this-season-end-NOW mentality of the fans, a PHYSICALLY beaten down team.....going into SNOWY, HOSTILE Playoff-bound Philadelphia a full TWO DAYS later than the game was even scheduled for...with a rookie QB. NO fault could be laid on Frazier for a loss here. End result: The Vikings leaving with a WIN, 24-14, and the Eagles stuck with a "WTF just happened???" look on their faces!!!

Week 17 (L): The whole HORRIBLE, drawn-out, drama-filled season finally caught up to our guys, and they just caved to the Lions, 13-20, who are beginning to re-invent themselves as an NFL team.

All I ask is this....before we set Frazier's bar to the same level as ANY other NFL coach, and judge him too harshly for what he DIDN'T do this season.....how about we give him a chance at a LEGITIMATE season, with his OWN CHOSEN assistant coaches, and a COMPLETE foresight of WHERE/WHEN his team will be playing out their schedule.

Childress: 3-7
    Frazier: 3-3 (with only one REAL home game, out of SIX)

Frazier's the right guy...JMO

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

I'm kindof on one side of the fence here. Lets recap:

a. He has interviewed for something like 7 other HC'ng jobs and hasn't been selected. Heck, one of those teams that passed him over is already selecting another HC.

b. The defense basically sucked this year with him in charge. It wasn't until he turned D-coord duties over to Coach Pagac, that we actually saw some sort of gameplan and prodcution out of what has been a pretty good defense.

c. The staff still owes the Chiller something like 6 Mill.

d. The staff is in trouble with revenue because of a stadium issue that can't get resolved.

e. The staff elected to go cheap and tender all thier players instead of paying the ones that deserved it.

f. Indications are it is only a 3 year deal. That means they are giving him a chance (at a discount price) to prove himself all the while allowing him an out for bigger money if he succeeds. Call it a 3 year interview.

My guess, this is the second indication that the Wilfs are done putting money into this team until they can get a more viable revenue stream.

Next indicator that this is in fact the truth, watch how many of the 29 players that need contracts get a deal done.

Again, I have nothing against Leslie. I just think this is a cost savings effort by the Wilfs until they can get thier revenue stream fixed.

In the end, it means Leslie will try to do More with Less and we saw how that worked for Tice.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by "ndnorseman" #1086543
    Leslie Frazier...a recap:

Week 14 (L): Supposed to be the 2nd in a 3 game home stretch, but the Gods had other cruel plans, and so the Vikings got to play (and lose) a "home" game against the in-the-Playoff-hunt Giants, 3-21...on a DIVISION RIVAL'S TURF!!! Oh yeah, and Favre goes out with an injury, leaving us with 2nd-string "Sucky McTurnoverstein" and 3rd string "Receiver McRookiestein".
    ROTFLMAO!

:laugh:

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1086548
    I'm kindof on one side of the fence here. Lets recap:

a. He has interviewed for something like 7 other HC'ng jobs and hasn't been selected. Heck, one of those teams that passed him over is already selecting another HC.

b. The defense basically sucked this year with him in charge. It wasn't until he turned D-coord duties over to Coach Pagac, that we actually saw some sort of gameplan and prodcution out of what has been a pretty good defense.

c. The staff still owes the Chiller something like 6 Mill.

d. The staff is in trouble with revenue because of a stadium issue that can't get resolved.

e. The staff elected to go cheap and tender all thier players instead of paying the ones that deserved it.

f. Indications are it is only a 3 year deal. That means they are giving him a chance (at a discount price) to prove himself all the while allowing him an out for bigger money if he succeeds. Call it a 3 year interview.

My guess, this is the second indication that the Wilfs are done putting money into this team until they can get a more viable revenue stream.

Next indicator that this is in fact the truth, watch how many of the 29 players that need contracts get a deal done.

Again, I have nothing against Leslie. I just think this is a cost savings effort by the Wilfs until they can get thier revenue stream fixed.

In the end, it means Leslie will try to do More with Less and we saw how that worked for Tice.
    I am seeing this too. Mike Tice was "given a chance" by Red McCombs under similar circumstances.

It is my hope that the Vikings are waiting to see how the CBA works out before giving out huge contracts based on the old CBA that will eat the new cap, as the players will likely get a smaller percentage this time. It could be a wise move, or it could be the sign of the apocalypse for the Vikings franchise in Minnesota.

Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1086529
    There are a number of reasons I think this is a bad choice...and none of them have to do with Leslie himself. For all I know, he may wind up being a fantastic HC.

But I worry because this move leaves Zygi and Mark Wilf with their fingers in the pot. Something I have been against since day 1.

I wanted a strong FOOTBALL guy to come in and relegate the Wilfs to the owners box...sort of like Bob Kraft in New England. That's worked pretty well there...

Instead, I fear that Zygi will continue to try and be the next Jerry Jones, something that I fear will NOT work out well here.

Again, I have nothing against Leslie Frazier, and I sincerely hope he does well. But I am not happy about this move...not in the slightest.
    I understand what you are saying, and I do agree to the point about not having a football person in charge. As a counterpoint, I have to ask, how many Lombardi trophies does Dallas have under the ownership of Jerry Jones? How many does Detroit have after going to a football guy as their GM? Not every team will get a Polian, Pioli, or Finks.

One could say that the Wilfs allowing so much of the football operations to be in the hands of Childress was a mistake. The Wilfs were pretty hands off when in came to his assistant coaches, schemes, and gameplans. They were hands on when asking minority owners and banks for more cash for players.

It is too early to see how this unfolds.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "Minniman" #1086580
    There are a number of reasons I think this is a bad choice...and none of them have to do with Leslie himself. For all I know, he may wind up being a fantastic HC.

But I worry because this move leaves Zygi and Mark Wilf with their fingers in the pot. Something I have been against since day 1.

I wanted a strong FOOTBALL guy to come in and relegate the Wilfs to the owners box...sort of like Bob Kraft in New England. That's worked pretty well there...

Instead, I fear that Zygi will continue to try and be the next Jerry Jones, something that I fear will NOT work out well here.

Again, I have nothing against Leslie Frazier, and I sincerely hope he does well. But I am not happy about this move...not in the slightest.
    I understand what you are saying, and I do agree to the point about not having a football person in charge. As a counterpoint, I have to ask, how many Lombardi trophies does Dallas have under the ownership of Jerry Jones? How many does Detroit have after going to a football guy as their GM? Not every team will get a Polian, Pioli, or Finks.

One could say that the Wilfs allowing so much of the football operations to be in the hands of Childress was a mistake. The Wilfs were pretty hands off when in came to his assistant coaches, schemes, and gameplans. They were hands on when asking minority owners and banks for more cash for players.

It is too early to see how this unfolds.
    Yeah if the Wilf's were overly involve Childress would have been gone sooner and Moss would have been moping around in purple for a few more weeks.

While Zygi was not happy about the move he did let it playout

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "marstc09" #1086476
    Nice work to get it done before the NFL season ends.
    God, you're dense.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Erinnn is offline Starter

If Frazier is in fact going to have the "interim" label removed from his title I've already heard one thing I really like. He's already told the players he expects everyone to participate in OTAs, unlike last summer when about 20 guys were missing.

Okay...I have two questions for those who think the Wilfs are going to railroad Frazier and basically be his puppet-masters....

1) When have the Wilfs EVER forced their will, other than keeping Favre as a starter? Even THAT is still being debated...

2) Why do you think the WIlfs are going to turn into Jerry Jones? He LOVES the camera...Zygi, on the other hand...

Now that Favre is finally gone, I think we'll see the Wilfs blend right back into the woodwork, and keep their fingers out of the proverbial pie.

Well, now that Frazier has the job, maybe he can BE that guy. We just don't know, do we? What did you expect him to do in his interim position...flat out DEFY the wishes of the owners? Not friggin' likely.

Seems to me, it'd be kind of career suicide to be LOOKING for a Head Coaching gig, and the first thing you do in your probationary period, is be insubordinate.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast