Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Leber says he joined the Vikings because it was good fit

Posted on Thu, Aug. 10, 2006

[size=18px]Leber says he joined the Vikings because it was good fit[/size]

Associated Press

MANKATO, Minn. - The Minnesota Vikings hold training camp about 230 miles from linebacker Ben Leber's hometown of Vermillion, S.D.

Leber has appreciated the proximity, as his parents and friends have made the 3 1/2-hour drive to south-central Minnesota to watch him and his new team practice.

But Midwestern roots aren't what lured Leber back when the former San Diego Charger signed a five-year, $20 million contract with the Vikings last March.

"Not at all," Leber said. "I knew I had to sign with a team that was the best fit for me. Fortunately, it turned out to be a team that was close to home."

While Leber had family in the Minnesota State University stands, there haven't been too many other eyes focused on him.

When it comes to the linebacking corps, first-round draft pick Chad Greenway and veterans E.J. Henderson and Napoleon Harris have garnered most of the attention so far.

Camp began with those players' spots on the depth chart in flux. But Leber was all but set as the starter on the strong side from the first day of camp.

"Ben is doing some good things," defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin said. "He's been really solid. Ben is a guy that we have been rolling around positionally because he is so sharp, and we haven't held him back in that regard."

Leber's ability to play the run and in coverage has made him a good fit in Tomlin's Tampa 2 defense.

"He has a great head on his shoulders," said Greenway, Leber's roommate and also a South Dakota native. "He plays smart, he plays physical, he plays fast. He fits in (to the defensive system) because he's versatile."

On Tuesday, the Vikings released an official depth chart for the first time with Leber on the strong side, Harris in the middle and Henderson on the weak side, backed up by Greenway.

"There are always questions in the offseason," Leber said, "and I think right now we've answered the call. Guys are confident. They're looking good."

Leber started 52 of the 57 games he played for San Diego, although a foot injury cut his season short after nine games last year. He's compiled 204 career tackles and 12 sacks. Although he has no interceptions, he has forced four fumbles.

"You can tell that he's a veteran," Tomlin said.

Henderson said Leber's presence has added maturity to the position. Leber and Harris, both fifth-year players, are the team's most-experienced linebackers.

"It's (Leber's) whole demeanor," Henderson said. "He's come here in shape. He's a blue-collar guy. He was just the guy we needed."

Notes: Receivers Marcus Robinson (neck) and Koren Robinson (knee) and running back Ciatrick Fason (concussion) sat out Thursday's practice.
    Fason watched the entire practice, while Robinson and Robinson were on the sidelines for the second half after receiving treatment.

... Backup center Jason Whittle was carted off the field during the morning session with a rapid heart rate, a condition the team has been aware of, coach Brad Childress said.

... Tackle Bryant McKinnie (hand) returned after leaving Wednesday's practice early, and safety Darren Sharper (hamstring) returned to full-team drills.

... Longtime pro scout Paul Wiggin will be inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in South Bend, Ind., Saturday.

Leber says he joined the Vikings because it was good fit

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Leber says he joined the Vikings because it was good fit

Leber is a perfect fit for this defense.Hes got great speed,and he seems like hes always gonna make the tackle.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Leber was a great signing in my opinion.. He does fit the Tampa 2 very well.. I just hope that Harris, and Henderson can live up to their hype, otherwise it is last season all over again..

I hope Leber will be good, we are paying him as a good LB

Midway through the offseason, I felt the LB corp was our weakest position, but since then, I've heard nothing but positive news coming out of camp on the LB's.

Published August 11, 2006 01:03 am

The Minnesota Vikings hold training camp about 230 miles from linebacker Ben Leber’s hometown of Vermillion, S.D.

[size=18px]Leber: Vikings best fit for me[/size]
    South Dakota native is currently starting weakside linebacker on team’s depth chart

By Shane Frederick
    The Free Press

MANKATO —

The Minnesota Vikings hold training camp about 230 miles from linebacker Ben Leber’s hometown of Vermillion, S.D.

Leber has appreciated the proximity, as his parents and friends have made the 3 1⁄2-hour drive to south-central Minnesota to watch him and his new team practice.

But Midwestern roots aren’t what lured Leber back, when the former San Diego Charger signed a five-year, $20 million contract with the Vikings last March.

“Not at all,” Leber said. “I knew I had to sign with a team that was the best fit for me. Fortunately, it turned out to be a team that was close to home.”

While Leber had family in the Minnesota State University stands, there haven’t been too many other sets of eyes focused on him.

When it comes to the linebacking corps, first-round draft pick Chad Greenway and veterans E.J. Henderson and Napoleon Harris have garnered most of the attention so far.

Camp began with those players’ spots on the depth chart in flux. But Leber was all but set as the starter on the strong side from the first day of camp.

“Ben is doing some good things,” defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin said. “He’s been really solid. Ben is a guy that we have been rolling around positionally because he is so sharp, and we haven’t held him back in that regard.”

Leber’s ability to play the run and in coverage has made him a good fit in Tomlin’s Tampa 2 defense.

“He has a great head on his shoulders,” said Greenway, Leber’s roommate and also a South Dakota native. “He plays smart, he plays physical, he plays fast. He fits in (to the defensive system) because he’s versatile.”

On Tuesday, the Vikings released an official depth chart for the first time with Leber on the strong side, Harris in the middle and Henderson on the weak side, backed up by Greenway.

“There are always questions in the offseason,” Leber said, “and I think right now we’ve answered the call. Guys are confident. They’re looking good.”

Leber started 52 of the 57 games he played for San Diego, although a foot injury cut his season short after nine games last year. He’s compiled 204 career tackles and 12 sacks. Although he has no interceptions, he’s forced four fumbles.

“You can tell that he’s a veteran,” Tomlin said.

Henderson said Leber’s presence has added maturity to the position. Leber and Harris, both fifth-year players, are the team’s most-experienced linebackers.

“It’s (Leber’s) whole demeanor,” Henderson said. “He’s come here in shape. He’s a blue-collar guy. He was just the guy we needed.”

Leber: Vikings best fit for me

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    Published August 11, 2006 01:03 am

[size=18px]Leber: Vikings best fit for me[/size]
    South Dakota native is currently starting weakside linebacker on team’s depth chart

By Shane Frederick
    The Free Press

MANKATO —

Leber has appreciated the proximity, as his parents and friends have made the 3 1⁄2-hour drive to south-central Minnesota to watch him and his new team practice.

But Midwestern roots aren’t what lured Leber back, when the former San Diego Charger signed a five-year, $20 million contract with the Vikings last March.

“Not at all,” Leber said. “I knew I had to sign with a team that was the best fit for me. Fortunately, it turned out to be a team that was close to home.”

While Leber had family in the Minnesota State University stands, there haven’t been too many other sets of eyes focused on him.

Camp began with those players’ spots on the depth chart in flux. But Leber was all but set as the starter on the strong side from the first day of camp.

“Ben is doing some good things,” defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin said. “He’s been really solid. Ben is a guy that we have been rolling around positionally because he is so sharp, and we haven’t held him back in that regard.”

Leber’s ability to play the run and in coverage has made him a good fit in Tomlin’s Tampa 2 defense.

“He has a great head on his shoulders,” said Greenway, Leber’s roommate and also a South Dakota native. “He plays smart, he plays physical, he plays fast. He fits in (to the defensive system) because he’s versatile.”

“There are always questions in the offseason,” Leber said, “and I think right now we’ve answered the call. Guys are confident. They’re looking good.”

Leber started 52 of the 57 games he played for San Diego, although a foot injury cut his season short after nine games last year. He’s compiled 204 career tackles and 12 sacks. Although he has no interceptions, he’s forced four fumbles.

“You can tell that he’s a veteran,” Tomlin said.

Henderson said Leber’s presence has added maturity to the position. Leber and Harris, both fifth-year players, are the team’s most-experienced linebackers.

“It’s (Leber’s) whole demeanor,” Henderson said. “He’s come here in shape. He’s a blue-collar guy. He was just the guy we needed.”

Leber: Vikings best fit for me

This is the exact same article as the one from the Associated Press above! This guy (Shane Frederick ) just stuck his name on it and ran it like his own, isn't that plagiarism?

Maybe you should go find your own information and interviews, or watch video's and write your own story! Plus the guy is in Mankato and he doesn't go over to practice to get a story, Very lame!

I didn't sleep last night so it took me awhile to realize that this guy might of been the original author and sold it to the Associated Press, if so sorry to Shane! If not then I still think you are lame.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

illiniviking is offline Waterboy

Maybe he wrote it for the AP? Someone had to write this article.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"illiniviking" wrote:
    Maybe he wrote it for the AP? Someone had to write this article.
    I just added that.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

I find it funny how before camp opened, all of the linebackers were going to be trained in 2 of the 3 linebacker positions. Since then EJ has become the starting weakside linebacker and Harris has become the starting middle linebacker and Tomlin has backed off from moving guys around..

Except Leber apparently, the guy who was most secure in a starting role coming into camp.

I don't mean to imply anything by my comments, I just find it interesting how the philosophy regarding the linebackers has changed because of camp.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast