Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Leber is ready for Vikes

[size=18px]NFL: Leber is ready for Vikes[/size]

Vermillion native excited to be part of Minnesota team

Associated Press

VERMILLION, S.D. - A Vermillion native who recently signed with the Minnesota Vikings said he's happy to be back in the Midwest.

When Ben Leber signed with the San Diego Chargers in 2002 fresh out of Kansas State, he came to a team with a new and young coaching staff. "It was exciting to be around," he said.

The linebacker sees a similar situation in Minnesota, as the Vikings prepare for their first season under head coach Brad Childress. Everybody is relatively new to the team with some of their roles and positions, he said.

"It's going to be a learning experience for everybody," Leber said. "That's just a great situation to be in, especially being new to the organization."

The veteran has started 52 games at outside linebacker, and Seattle and Tennessee were among Leber's leading suitors. The chance to play closer to South Dakota was "just kind of an added bonus," he said.

"I would have gone to any team, regardless of location, if they presented the best package," Leber said. "Minnesota, with the new coaching staff, the enthusiasm and the energy, just beat out everybody else, hands down."

The Chargers went 4-12 in 2003 and 12-4 in 2004, and Leber learned from both the ups and downs in San Diego.

"I got to see the best of football and the worst of football," he said. "In both situations, you take away a lot of good life lessons."

A decision to have surgery on a broken foot cut last season short.

"It was a difficult decision to get the surgery," he said. "For the first time in my life, high school, college, professional, I had to sit out because I was not able to play. It was a very hard thing for me to sit there and watch."

He said he's almost up to full strength and should be ready to play by training camp.

"We've taken a very conservative approach on my recovery because it's something I've battled with for almost two years now. They definitely want to make sure the bone does heal and everything is up to speed," he said. "I'm not quite at 100 percent, but definitely I would say we're 90 to 95 percent there."

Leber is ready for Vikes

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Leber is ready for Vikes

Sounds good to me. If he's 95% now, then he'll easily be 100% by training camp.

Can't wait to see him out there and see what he can do.

i just hope he isnt a bust like napoleon harris...we really need to devoelop a better, more stable linebacker group. cowart and harris were supposed to help but after one they dont even play for us anymore. i really hope leber is as good as we hope (and that we get another good linebacker in the draft.
    WE CAN BUILD ON THIS!!!

In AP I trust

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

He seems solid.. Hopefully he can step right in and lead our LB group..

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

"farvathevikinglover" wrote:
    i just hope he isnt a bust like napoleon harris...we really need to devoelop a better, more stable linebacker group. cowart and harris were supposed to help but after one they dont even play for us anymore. i really hope leber is as good as we hope (and that we get another good linebacker in the draft.
    I am tired of reading how Napo was a bust. Napo was not a bust. Cottrell and his stupid D scheme was the bust. Nobody looked that good in it with the possible exception of Sharper and even he got burned on occasion because of the crappy coverage calls. :wink:

WWBGD

ChiTownVike is offline Hall of Famer

Thats good to hear

I like people who express their stituation

Thank you Josdin for the sig

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"RK." wrote:
    "farvathevikinglover" wrote:
    I am tired of reading how Napo was a bust. Napo was not a bust. Cottrell and his stupid D scheme was the bust. Nobody looked that good in it with the possible exception of Sharper and even he got burned on occasion because of the crappy coverage calls. :wink:

Paul Allen who is the voice of the Vikings revealed a few weeks ago that Napoleon Harris injured his knee in training camp and played hurt the whole year. Probably stupid on his part but hopefully he will be healed and see if he can produce this year, if not then I think it will be the end of Napo with the Vikes.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

"singersp" wrote:
    [size=18px]NFL: Leber is ready for Vikes[/size]

Vermillion native excited to be part of Minnesota team

Associated Press

VERMILLION, S.D. - A Vermillion native who recently signed with the Minnesota Vikings said he's happy to be back in the Midwest.

When Ben Leber signed with the San Diego Chargers in 2002 fresh out of Kansas State, he came to a team with a new and young coaching staff. "It was exciting to be around," he said.

The linebacker sees a similar situation in Minnesota, as the Vikings prepare for their first season under head coach Brad Childress. Everybody is relatively new to the team with some of their roles and positions, he said.

"It's going to be a learning experience for everybody," Leber said. "That's just a great situation to be in, especially being new to the organization."

The veteran has started 52 games at outside linebacker, and Seattle and Tennessee were among Leber's leading suitors. The chance to play closer to South Dakota was "just kind of an added bonus," he said.

"I would have gone to any team, regardless of location, if they presented the best package," Leber said. "Minnesota, with the new coaching staff, the enthusiasm and the energy, just beat out everybody else, hands down."

The Chargers went 4-12 in 2003 and 12-4 in 2004, and Leber learned from both the ups and downs in San Diego.

"I got to see the best of football and the worst of football," he said. "In both situations, you take away a lot of good life lessons."

A decision to have surgery on a broken foot cut last season short.

"It was a difficult decision to get the surgery," he said. "For the first time in my life, high school, college, professional, I had to sit out because I was not able to play. It was a very hard thing for me to sit there and watch."

He said he's almost up to full strength and should be ready to play by training camp.

"We've taken a very conservative approach on my recovery because it's something I've battled with for almost two years now. They definitely want to make sure the bone does heal and everything is up to speed," he said. "I'm not quite at 100 percent, but definitely I would say we're 90 to 95 percent there."

Leber is ready for Vikes
    I would have rather had Arrington than Leber.
    "We are Lions!!" - Achilles (from the movie Troy )

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

I think he will be a solid contributor to the team this season.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

enlvikeman is offline Hall of Famer

all help is welcome

"24 mil under the cap? there are teams 30 mil over the cap, heck that gives us at least 50 mil to spend"

CollegeGuyJeff circa 2006

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast