Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Leber, over rated?

Basically I only have one thing left to add.

No matter where you play the LB position you should make more than 46 tackles a year.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Mr" wrote:

No matter where you play the LB position you should make more than 46 tackles a year.
    Not when you're off the field because offenses are coming out in 3 or 4 WR sets to exploit the crappy pass defense.

Relying solely on statistics obscures the true value that Leber had.

Oh - and he also missed 1 game and was limited in several others because of injury.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

I wasn't impressed with him really this year

I laughed my ass off when I saw some people on here mention him to go to the friggin probowl hahahahaha.. Dang gimme those purple shades

One Love

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:

Not when you're off the field because offenses are coming out in 3 or 4 WR sets to exploit the crappy pass defense.

Relying solely on statistics obscures the true value that Leber had.

Oh - and he also missed 1 game and was limited in several others because of injury.

=Z=
    Since when did he come off the field in 3-4 wr sets?

James Farrior of the Steelers only played 14 games last season, he had 119 tackles in a 3-4 defense.
    Zach Thomas played 14 games last season and had 158 tackles.

Thats just 2 guys who didn't play full seasons and doubled or tripled his production.

I'm not out to get Leber, I never base an argument on stats alone.

I'm just pointing out something I noticed.

I felt he played pretty well this year. He is a smart player and is in the right place at the right time in alot of cases IMO. I think he will have a great year next year, and rack up some more tackles.

patistheman is offline Starter

"Ltrey" wrote:
    "UndisputedVike" wrote:
    "Rambro" wrote:
    Yea, I can see Greenway taking his spot...Leber is a run stopper not that great in pass coverage.
    Wrong, Leber is our best pass coverage LB, do your homework. He had 4 passes deflected.

As for Leber being overrated, that's poopy, he's probably our best LB out there. Week 1 vs. the 'Skins he basically shut down Chris Cooley and he was solid in coverage all season not to mention making clutch plays when we absolutely needed them. If you think for a second he's overrated because he doesn't have 100+ tackles then you are sadly mistaken. If Leber is overrated then the rest our LB's are way overrated.
    Leber's affect on the team was enormous. Remember the games when he was out with an injury? Go back and look at those games and look at the difference in the defense. There is a palpable difference between when he was out there and when he wasn't. Childress picked him as a guy that is great in the system, and that's what he is.
    Leber did better than I expected him to this year, but he isnt as good as some of you think.
    He missed only one game this year, the Buffallo game.
    In that game we allowed 63 yds rushing, 263 passing, and 17 points.
    I wouldnt say we missed him that much.
    Yes he did make some great plays this year, however there were some that he missed also, the one that haunts me the most is when he whiffed on a should be easy sack on Farve at Green Bay.
    I definatly dont want Leber gone but I sure wouldnt mind having somebody better.
    I wouldnt say he was our best LB in pass D either.

Here are their stats

Leber-
    1 INT
    5 PD
    Henderson- 2 INT 4 PD 1 TD

Harris- 3 INT 4 PD

Furthermore being the best LB on the Vikings D in pass defense is not saying much.
    I thought the LB were by far the biggest liability in the pass defense this year, not the secondary.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

This is a situation where this quote pertains. "if it aint broke, don't fix it". Nothing wrong with Leber, he did his job just didn't put up the stats. I never saw particular plays where I could call out Ben and say "Hey, he didn't do his job, I want him out of here" like I saw with guys like Smoot, Udeze, and Troy at times.

eelpout72 is offline Starter

i seem to recollect that leber often didnt play in the nickel defense and that they were trying to find ways to get leber more involved at the end of the year when everybody abandoned the run against us.
    maybe since we were in nickel so often, he didnt get as many reps.

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

from what i saw all season Leber was a part of that D. He might not be the MvP of it, but he was def a solid part of what we did this year.
    a lot of people questioned the move to get him, and he's proven that it was a good call. so to say he's overrated, based on what.. the fact he was a cheap signing that made a starting impact?

he'll be on this team for a few years hopefully, and as our D develops. either he'll remain a consistent player that he is or be overtaken by a young dynamic lB.

i like the differences he's made in games and hope for him to hvae a good future as a ViKiNG!

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"eelpout72" wrote:
    i seem to recollect that leber often didnt play in the nickel defense and that they were trying to find ways to get leber more involved at the end of the year when everybody abandoned the run against us.
    maybe since we were in nickel so often, he didnt get as many reps.

You are correct he does come off the field when they go to a nickle package and the Vikes tried to use a 3/4 defense towards the end of the season to keep him on the field more.

If the defensive coordinator (Tomlin) didn't think he was playing well would they have done this?

pretty easy answer.
    NO

He had some huge plays at critical times this year and he was our 2nd best Linebacker behind EJ who really stepped up his game.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast