Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Leber, over rated?

"Mr" wrote:
    I was just on NFL.com checking up on some stats when I realized....

Ben Leber only made 46 tackles all season. That's less than half as many as EJ Henderson and Antoine Winfield.

Players with more:
    EJ Henderson-109
    Antoine Winfield-97
    Fred Smoot-61 (Supposedly the worst tackler on the team)
    Napoleon Harris-59
    Dwight Smith-78
    Darren Sharper-67

None of those guys are big tacklers either, a LB should definitely make more than all of them.

Players with the same number of tackles:
    Darrion Scott-46

A defensive end who wasn't even supposed to start this year made more tackles.

Players with less(obviously not all of them, but ones with a lot of playing time and a number relatively close to his):
    Pat Williams-44
    Cedric Griffin-41
    Kevin Williams-36
    Kenechi Udeze-29
    Kevin Williams-36

I understand he made some big plays this year(3 sacks, an interception, 2 fumble recoveries and a td) but EJ had 3 sacks, 2 ints, 2 fumble recoveries, and a TD.

I didn;t think I'd be saying this, but I think Leber is the weak link of our linebackers, and with Chad Greenway coming back next year, I don't see Leber in the starting lineup.

Fred Smoot made more tackles.............Fred Smoot.
    Napoleon isn't getting re-signed....that means that we either have to find a new MLB...or someone moves into that position.
    Greenway is NOT a SLB type of player...therefore he will NOT be taking Leber's place.
    Greenway is a textbook WLB...which means that if he starts, he either has to beat out EJ...or the Vikes move EJ back to the middle...which is a distinct possiblity.
    Both Leber and EJ have big contracts that are probably not tradeable, so figure that they will be here...and STARTING unless they just fall off the map.
    Greenway is the most likely LB to step in the open slot...but Dontarrious could surprise us and take the next step....I think that this is his contract year, so he might make that leap.
    If DT steps in and can be consistent at the MLB spot (he's 6'2", 250 and runs a 4.4), EJ could stay on the weakside and Greenway would possibly be the passing down substitution for either EJ or Leber...but don't expect to see Leber or EJ on the bench.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

sirweeze is offline Starter

"cajunvike" wrote:
    Napoleon isn't getting re-signed....that means that we either have to find a new MLB...or someone moves into that position.
    Greenway is NOT a SLB type of player...therefore he will NOT be taking Leber's place.
    Greenway is a textbook WLB...which means that if he starts, he either has to beat out EJ...or the Vikes move EJ back to the middle...which is a distinct possiblity.
    Both Leber and EJ have big contracts that are probably not tradeable, so figure that they will be here...and STARTING unless they just fall off the map.
    Greenway is the most likely LB to step in the open slot...but Dontarrious could surprise us and take the next step....I think that this is his contract year, so he might make that leap.
    If DT steps in and can be consistent at the MLB spot (he's 6'2", 250 and runs a 4.4), EJ could stay on the weakside and Greenway would possibly be the passing down substitution for either EJ or Leber...but don't expect to see Leber or EJ on the bench.
    an entire post about linebackers without mentioning donnie edwards?!?
    are you feeling okay??

i agree, i think harris is as good as gone, and i think theyre gonna like EJ in the middle, he's starting to remind me a bit of jeremiah trotter... that will allow greenway to step in

UndisputedVike is offline Coordinator

"Rambro" wrote:
    Yea, I can see Greenway taking his spot...Leber is a run stopper not that great in pass coverage.
    Wrong, Leber is our best pass coverage LB, do your homework. He had 4 passes deflected.

As for Leber being overrated, that's horseshit, he's probably our best LB out there. Week 1 vs. the 'Skins he basically shut down Chris Cooley and he was solid in coverage all season not to mention making clutch plays when we absolutely needed them. If you think for a second he's overrated because he doesn't have 100+ tackles then you are sadly mistaken. If Leber is overrated then the rest our LB's are way overrated.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"UndisputedVike" wrote:
    "Rambro" wrote:
    Yea, I can see Greenway taking his spot...Leber is a run stopper not that great in pass coverage.
    Wrong, Leber is our best pass coverage LB, do your homework. He had 4 passes deflected.

As for Leber being overrated, that's poopy, he's probably our best LB out there. Week 1 vs. the 'Skins he basically shut down Chris Cooley and he was solid in coverage all season not to mention making clutch plays when we absolutely needed them. If you think for a second he's overrated because he doesn't have 100+ tackles then you are sadly mistaken. If Leber is overrated then the rest our LB's are way overrated.
    Leber's affect on the team was enormous. Remember the games when he was out with an injury? Go back and look at those games and look at the difference in the defense. There is a palpable difference between when he was out there and when he wasn't. Childress picked him as a guy that is great in the system, and that's what he is.

"sirweeze" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    an entire post about linebackers without mentioning donnie edwards?!?
    are you feeling okay??

i agree, i think harris is as good as gone, and i think theyre gonna like EJ in the middle, he's starting to remind me a bit of jeremiah trotter... that will allow greenway to step in
    The bolded portion is CODE for Donnie Edwards...didn't you get the secret decoder ring?
    ;D

BradTheMan14 is offline Starter

i had my doubts about leber before the season and still do. i think he is a solid starter for us. i think some make him up to be more than he is...but about the 46 tackles probably means he doesn't go and jump on the pile and get credited for an assist. he should have more tackles tho...
    Q: At your age, can you handle a full season?
    A: I m 37, number one. I took my family to Perkins a couple of days ago, and they didn t hand me a senior citizens discount card, so I feel pretty good.
    (Brad Johnson at an interview before the start of the season)

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Mr" wrote:

Ben Leber only made 46 tackles all season. That's less than half as many as EJ Henderson and Antoine Winfield.
    He's the Weak-side LB.
    Doesn't that mean that, generally speaking, the play will go away from him (if it's a run), to the side where the TE is lined up?

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Rambro is offline Rookie

"UndisputedVike" wrote:
    "Rambro" wrote:

As for Leber being overrated, that's poopy, he's probably our best LB out there. Week 1 vs. the 'Skins he basically shut down Chris Cooley and he was solid in coverage all season not to mention making clutch plays when we absolutely needed them. If you think for a second he's overrated because he doesn't have 100+ tackles then you are sadly mistaken. If Leber is overrated then the rest our LB's are way overrated.
    Op!...my bad, I was wrong.

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:

He's the Weak-side LB.
    Doesn't that mean that, generally speaking, the play will go away from him (if it's a run), to the side where the TE is lined up?

=Z=
    Not necessarily...besides, my understanding is that Leber is the Strong side LB...which STILL doesn't tell you anything about tackle OPPORTUNITIES.
    Fact of the matter is this...he did a very good job this season and is signed for three more years at 4 mill or so per...he's not going anywhere.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:

He's the Weak-side LB.

=Z=
    Not necessarily...besides, my understanding is that Leber is the Strong side LB...which STILL doesn't tell you anything about tackle OPPORTUNITIES.
    Fact of the matter is this...he did a very good job this season and is signed for three more years at 4 mill or so per...he's not going anywhere.
    Yeah, you're right.
    It's after 8pm, so I can barely find my ass right now.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast