singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Leber Appears to Leave Foot Injury Behind

[size=18px]Leber Appears to Leave Foot Injury Behind [/size]

By: Scout.com

Date: Jul 9, 2006

Vikings linebacker Ben Leber took it easy in the team’s first minicamp, but the last two months the expected starter on the strong side has appeared to be playing at full strength and leaving a foot injury behind, giving the Vikings some probable stability in at least one of the linebacker positions.

The Vikings’ early splurge into free agency netted them a new starter at strongside linebacker.

Ben Leber, limited to nine games last season with San Diego because of a foot injury, is considered a good fit for the pass rushing and coverage skills needed in the version of the Cover-2 defense the Vikings will employ.

The Vikings wanted to be cautious with Leber’s foot injury early on and limited him during a pre-draft minicamp in April. But he has appeared to be going full speed the past two months.

Other than Leber, the Vikings’ linebacker group still has plenty of question marks.

First-round pick Chad Greenway, who like Leber is a native of South Dakota, could end up starting on the weak side if he picks up things quickly. Right now, Leber and E.J. Henderson are the starters at the strong and weak side, respectively.

That leaves Napoleon Harris — a major disappointment after being acquired from Oakland in the Randy Moss trade last year — and Dontarrious Thomas as candidates to start in the middle. If Harris and Thomas struggle, Leber and Greenway could wind up starting on the outside, with Henderson in the middle.

The Vikings don’t have nearly as many question marks, or potential changes, on the front and back ends.

The only significant addition to the line is DeQuincy Scott, also a free agent from San Diego. Scott likely will serve as the backup to Erasmus James at right end, taking the place of Lance Johnstone (Oakland).

In the secondary, Tank Williams left Tennessee to take Corey Chavous’ place as the starting strong safety. Chavous signed with St. Louis.

The 6-foot-3, 223-pound Williams, whose 2004 season was cut short after nine starts when he tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee, was third on the Titans with 83 tackles last season and will provide a hard-hitting presence in the secondary.

Leber Appears to Leave Foot Injury Behind

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

Re: Leber Appears to Leave Foot Injury Behind

seems we are def making foward movement in our positions. Our backups are strong, and our starters seem great. lets just hope that it all gells correctly with enouf time to make the playoffs and then surge to the S.B!!

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Yeah buddy.. I see Leber, Greenway, and Henderson as our starting LB's.. They all are the prime example of a cover 2 defense.. They are quick, and can cover alot of ground.. Hopefully we will not have a curse this season, and they will play to their abilities..

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Good for Leber! I think he could end up being a steal. If he pans out and Greenway develops quickly our linebacking corps might finally have some teeth in a year or two.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

This is great to hear! It would be sweet if he did turn out to be a steal.

MensaTice is offline Star Spokesman

I have high hopes for Leber. I watched him a lot in college and loved the way he played. He's not going to be Ray Lewis or anything but I believe he will be a consistent player who will be in the right place- something we are not used to seeing at LB

[color=red]

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Good...otherwise the coaching staff might have to injure THEIR feet kicking Leber's BEHIND!!! :lol:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"MensaTice" wrote:
    I have high hopes for Leber. I watched him a lot in college and loved the way he played. He's not going to be Ray Lewis or anything but I believe he will be a consistent player who will be in the right place- something we are not used to seeing at LB
    You mean like KEITH NEWMAN last season?
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE