Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Leader on Defense

Everyone knows our offense is set. However, our defense has been less than par every season since finishing 13th in 1998.

I believe a very important step in having a dominant defense is having a "defensive leader on the field", who steps up and makes big plays when needed, and rallies the troops when necessary. I think this was lacking last season, especially during our losing streak.

My question to you is, who will be that player this season for our Vikes? Will it be Antoine Winfield? E.J. Henderson? Kevin Williams? Chris Hovan?

I know the defense must play together as a unit to succeed, but my point is not everything is going to go their way this season, especially with all the rookies and other young guys we have. So who do you guys see stepping up during crunch time and changing the pace of the game?

I'd have to go with Antoine Winfield.

Let me know what you guys think!
    Skol!
    Go Vikings!

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

Leader on Defense

Well since I haven't seen him play yet I'm going to have to hold off on my answer to that, but I'm hoping he is a strong improvement and think he will be.

Right now I'm going to have to say Chavous is our strongest and my favorite player on D... he plays smart football

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

Re: Leader on Defense

I don't think it will be one guy on D. Winfield, claiborne, and chavous seem to be the three that are the type. Sounds like claiborne has been doing a good job so far, of being a leader to the young LB's. EJ & Williams are too young IMO to take that role yet. They can realy only lead by example, or by playing good.

dan3ski is offline Coordinator

Leader on Defense

Well each area need a leader the line needs one the lb's need one and the secondary needs one. This is a team sport after all.
    can we clone Bud Grant?

PhillyVikes is offline Starter

Leader on Defense

I will have to say Williams.. He has the skiils to post big #'s. Last year in his rookie season he posted 10.5 sacks and has the moves to change the game and get the defense pumped.

Leader on Defense

Id say Chavous

TEXPACK is offline Pro-Bowler

Leader on Defense

I agree with the comments about leadership within each unit.

My favorites are: Williams DL
    Claiborne LB (I think E.J. takes his job eventually)
    Winfield DB

Typically, LBs run the D huddle. Claiborne is in Viking's land for one reason to provide experience, leadership, and not let less experienced players get fooled. His best playing days are behind him. The Vikings knew that when they signed him that he didn't have much upside. I think he's too heavy and slow. Look for E.J. to take over by week 6. He was a monster in college.
    Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not, but we will all be judged by only one thing - the result." --Vince Lombardi

TEXPACK is offline Pro-Bowler

Leader on Defense

Hey neo,

Did I miss our appointment?
    Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not, but we will all be judged by only one thing - the result." --Vince Lombardi

Leader on Defense

TexPack, your creditbility went to zero after your alleged, "I played college football, almost went pro" story. Although I do believe you are 300 pounds, I do not believe you are anywhere close to 6'8'. I can't believe some people on this site actually bought that whole story.

However, if you still want meet, I think Lewisville would be a good meeting place, right in between Bedford and Plano. I would kinda feel bad for picking on a fatty such as yourself though.
    Skol!
    Go Vikings!

TWISTED is offline Training Camp

Leader on Defense

Leave him alone, Im sure its just a glandular problem. :lol: I think Chavous will be the vocal leader of this Defense. Hopefully somebody in the front 7 will step up and lead by example though.
    cf7231f7c41f3d4c4e95634c9d920584

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast