josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

LB update - Newman

Since the linebacker position seems to be the one with the most questions so far, I thought I'd post this update for everyone.

Sunday, August 8, 2004

[size=18px]Newman makes impression on Vikings coaches[/size](source)
    Associated Press

MANKATO, Minn. -- Linebacker Keith Newman didn't sign with the Minnesota Vikings until June, but he's showing that he's as quick with the playbook as he is chasing down quarterbacks.

"I think I'm progressing pretty well," Newman said Saturday after a joint practice with the Kansas City Chiefs. "After I signed, I had to study on my own, but now that I'm in camp, I'm catching up with the defense."

Newman had a couple of sacks against the Chiefs, and he made some hard hits during contact drills.

The Vikings were looking for competition for Chris Claiborne at strong-side linebacker, and they seem to have found it.

"(He's) definitely a guy we're going to be able to count on, and he can rush the passer," head coach Mike Tice said. "Claiborne has to have a great preseason because Keith Newman is a good football player. That's a good problem to have if we've got two good football players there."

Newman joined the Vikings because of his familiarity with coordinator Ted Cottrell's defense, having played in Buffalo from 1999-2002. He thinks the work against the Chiefs this weekend was valuable, but he also recognizes the tough task he faces every day in practice.

"Kansas City has a lot of weapons, but you have to remember I go against Randy Moss, Daunte Culpepper, Michael Bennett, the list goes on," Newman said. "When you compete against those guys, you're going to get better."

Newman said his strength is stopping the run, but the 6-foot-2, 248-pounder, who played with Atlanta last season, has looked good on the blitz.

"I think I'm well-rounded," he said. "I can do a lot of things."

ON THE BUBBLE: At the very least, Tice has his top three receivers set: Randy Moss, Marcus Robinson and Nate Burleson. Keenan Howry has impressed Tice and, for now, holds the edge over Kelly Campbell for No. 4.

That means, as always, the fight for the remaining wide receiver roster spots is tight.

The Vikings are looking for two backup receiver/special teams players. So far, Ryan Hoag and Lane Danielson look to be the leading contenders. Both saw a lot of action against the Chiefs.

"We're very pleased with the pickup of Ryan Hoag," Tice said earlier in the week. "He's done very, very nice."

Danielson, meanwhile, has drawn comparisons to former special teams ace Chris Walsh.

"Lane is, I think, going to show us that he's going to really make us think hard about keeping him on the active roster," Tice said.

OFFORD'S OPPORTUNITY: Tice had high expectations for safety Willie Offord when he was drafted in 2002.

His rookie year was plagued by mental mistakes, which caused him to lose confidence. Last season, he was beaten out by Brian Russell for a starting spot alongside Corey Chavous.

In training camp this year, Offord seems to have his swagger back. He made several hard hits against the Chiefs this weekend and also has been getting work at linebacker in the nickel package.

"We're trying to find a niche for him," Tice said, who has said that Tyrone Carter probably has the edge on Offord for the fourth spot.

"Willie's worked hard this offseason," Tice said. "He's a big young man. ... We have to try to find a little niche for him because he's been in the program long enough."

BRIEFLY: The players had Sunday off and will resume workouts Monday morning.

hawaiianvike21 is offline Team Alumni

LB update - Newman

Not to be negative or anything, i dont really fall for these player thats doing good in camp right now. I would have to wait till at least the preseason or regular season started to see how much a player improved and hows hes playing.

I remember a few years back, tice was raving about a guy by the name of kyries herbert or something and how amazing he was at rb. What happens after preseason, he gets cut. :lol:
    Hupo oe ke kau ana i ka waiupa a ma kou pa o & Hupo na Po o waiupa a

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

LB update - Newman

"hawaiianvike21" wrote:
    Not to be negative or anything, i dont really fall for these player thats doing good in camp right now. I would have to wait till at least the preseason or regular season started to see how much a player improved and hows hes playing.

I remember a few years back, tice was raving about a guy by the name of kyries herbert or something and how amazing he was at rb. What happens after preseason, he gets cut. :lol:

Herbert was a safety I believe, but yeah it is way too early to say that this guy is gonna be awesome this year, because tice said he looks good. I have seen newman play many of times before, and he isn't better than claiborne. Claiborne is much better, but newman has played in cotrell's system before, so he might look like he is just as good as claiborne right now, as claiborne is learning the new system. Newman is about as good as crockett was, not the same type of LB, but about as good.

I think it is the same thing for tyrone carter and willie offord. Carter is ahead of offord right now, but he played under cotrell last year, so the scheme is fresh. Offord is much more talented than carter, and should move ahead of him on the depth chart as he learns the new D.

Larry ned was the RB that tice was talking up last year during camp and he sucks.

LB update - Newman

"muchluv4moss" wrote:
    "hawaiianvike21" wrote:

Herbert was a safety I believe, but yeah it is way too early to say that this guy is gonna be awesome this year, because tice said he looks good. I have seen newman play many of times before, and he isn't better than claiborne. Claiborne is much better, but newman has played in cotrell's system before, so he might look like he is just as good as claiborne right now, as claiborne is learning the new system. Newman is about as good as crockett was, not the same type of LB, but about as good.

I think it is the same thing for tyrone carter and willie offord. Carter is ahead of offord right now, but he played under cotrell last year, so the scheme is fresh. Offord is much more talented than carter, and should move ahead of him on the depth chart as he learns the new D.

Larry ned was the RB that tice was talking up last year during camp and he sucks.

Also being a practise player could play a major role in who looks impressive. Some players really excell in practise and show great potential. but when they play in games they never live up to that potential. and on the oppisite side of the spectrum some players look awful in practise and can perform well in games.