Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

The Last Time Vikings Had 2 First Round Picks

2013 Vikings Draft: A Look Back To The Last Time Minnesota Had Two First Round Picks

2013 Vikings Draft: A Look Back To The Last Time Minnesota Had Two First Round Picks - Daily Norseman

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    I'll just pretend this article is talking about last year and what a great job we did with 2 1st rounders and not that other year with a 5 in it.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Oh I don't need any reminders about what happened last time! I don't think a single guy from that draft was on the team as lil as 3 years later. Ouch! Ugly.

But, in Tice and co.'s defense, that was a horrible time to have an extra 1st round pick, as it was the tweener season where the draft happened under McComb's cheap ass scouting staff before the Wilfs had a chance to properly invest in that department.

We can only hope to do better this time around, specially considering how well we did last draft!

SKOL VIKINGS!!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    One thing I know is we have not had a great MLB since Del Rio left and that was a hell of a long time ago. If there is one position I would love to see us draft a franchise player besides QB it would be MLB.

JPPT1974 is offline Starter
    2012 Is past and that hopefully 2013 will open up! As would love to see someone that can bring leadership, teamwork, and value to the team! In the long run that is!
    NFL 2013 is Here!

MulletMullitia is offline PP.O Ambassador
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    One thing I know is we have not had a great MLB since Del Rio left and that was a hell of a long time ago. If there is one position I would love to see us draft a franchise player besides QB it would be MLB.
    +1! Say no to DT in the first round. Say no to Urlacher too!

I'm fine starting any of the top 3 guys. Arthur Brown, Alec Ogletree, or Manti Te'o (great fit for our scheme) .

Sorry Rick! Keep up the good work.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    Oh I don't need any reminders about what happened last time! I don't think a single guy from that draft was on the team as lil as 3 years later. Ouch! Ugly.

But, in Tice and co.'s defense, that was a horrible time to have an extra 1st round pick, as it was the tweener season where the draft happened under McComb's cheap ass scouting staff before the Wilfs had a chance to properly invest in that department.

We can only hope to do better this time around, specially considering how well we did last draft!

SKOL VIKINGS!!!
    Not sure, but it's probably still primarily the same scouting team with Studwell now as it was back then. I don't recall a huge overhaul in that department.

Scott Studwell Director of College Scouting
    Jamaal Stephenson Assistant Director of College Scouting
    Scott Kuhn Pro Scout
    Ryan Monnens Pro Scout
    Jeff Robinson Pro Scout
    Steven Price Pro Scout
    Paul Roell Regional Scout
    Frank Acevedo Area Scout
    Terrance Gray Area Scout
    Kevin McCabe Area Scout
    Mike Sholiton Area Scout
    Reed Burckhardt Blesto Scout

Burckhardt appears to be a newer addition/relacement
    Last edited by singersp; 03-19-2013 at 05:56 AM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by MulletMullitia View Post
    +1! Say no to DT in the first round. Say no to Urlacher too!

I'm fine starting any of the top 3 guys. Arthur Brown, Alec Ogletree, or Manti Te'o (great fit for our scheme) .

No he's not! Te'o is slow and another version of Brinkley. If you are going to run a Tampa Two you had better have a faster LB than him.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    I remember some articles coming out after the ownership change became official about how used car salesman McCombs had gotten with the franchise, cutting corners everywhere. Tice wasn't just head coach, he also had to be the positional OL coach, the D-Coord was also coaching LBs, etc.

I'm pretty sure there are numbers somewhere showing that the staff more than doubled once the Wilf's fully took the reigns...?
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Not sure, but it's probably still primarily the same scouting team with Studwell now as it was back then. I don't recall a huge overhaul in that department.

Scott Studwell Director of College Scouting
    Jamaal Stephenson Assistant Director of College Scouting
    Scott Kuhn Pro Scout
    Ryan Monnens Pro Scout
    Jeff Robinson Pro Scout
    Steven Price Pro Scout
    Paul Roell Regional Scout
    Frank Acevedo Area Scout
    Terrance Gray Area Scout
    Kevin McCabe Area Scout
    Mike Sholiton Area Scout
    Reed Burckhardt Blesto Scout

Burckhardt appears to be a newer addition/relacement
    While that may be true, isn't it the case that Red had cut way back on the budget and the support staff that supported them? It seems to me there were articles after Wilf bought the team that stated Red had pretty much gutted the staff and that Wilf had to put a lot of money into getting things back the way they should be in the personnel department.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast