Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re:LA Stadium Builder will NOT attempt to move Vikes

Marrdro wrote:
    marshallvike wrote:
    Good news, although Ziggy just lost some leverage.
    Or this guy knows that the Ziggy Ownership group has another venue in mind.
    San Antonio might still be interested, after the "owner who shall not be named" dangling that purple carrot in front of them. Between San Antonio and Austin, you could fill an NFL stadium pretty quickly, I'd imagine. Can't swing a dead cheesehead down there without hitting someone talking football.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

ConnecticutViking wrote:
    There is lots of talk about the Bills possibly moving to Toronto. Found this article in the Washington Post.

NFL Gold in Canada?
    Buffalo's experiment with Canada will be watched closely around the NFL. The league is desperate to find new markets to expand into and Canada remains an untapped gold mine. Football is popular in Canada and Canadian fans not only watch the NFL on television they travel across the border from cities like Toronto and Vancouver to watch games in Buffalo and Seattle. Still, there remains a divide. Canada has its football league, while the U.S. has the NFL.
    By entering the mega metropolis of Toronto for a handful of games, the Bills not only can hold onto their local fans in upstate New York but they can begin to make serious inroads in Canada's biggest city. It also opens Canada as a potential market for the NFL which must find a way to expand its reach outside the United States or risk someday falling behind sports like baseball and basketball which have a huge global reach. As the NFL's efforts to build itself in Europe and Asia slowly chug along, Canada remains the best place for the league's initial growth.
    It remains to be seen whether Canada would support a fulltime team. Obviously moving the Bills permanently to Toronto is an appealing idea given the immense size of the Toronto market. Perhaps a better solution might be to have a Buffalo-Toronto franchise that plays half of its games in Buffalo and half in Toronto. The biggest problem with this is the same problem that has confounded other Canadian franchises in other sports -- the value of the dollar. For many years, Canada's dollar significantly trailed the US's. It meant Canadian teams were selling tickets and advertising in Canadian currency and yet paying players in American money. That, among other things, drove the NBA from Vancouver, baseball from Montreal and hockey from cities like Quebec City and Winnipeg.
    The NFL could probably not survive in Montreal or even Vancouver despite the great size of those cities. But it would have a chance in Toronto, especially if that franchise was marketed as the nation's team.
    And the NFL, which has seriously considered putting a team in England, has no choice but to try.
    By Les Carpenter | December 2, 2009; 11:43 AM ET | Category: Buffalo Bills
    Do not copy/paste articles. Brief quote with a link...need the link.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

marshallvike wrote:
    Ziggy losing leverage is a good thing, when you consider he's trying to stuff a billion dollar stadium up our collective asshole.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

jmcdon00 wrote:
    marshallvike wrote:
    Ziggy losing leverage is a good thing, when you consider he's trying to stuff a billion dollar stadium up our collective asshole.
    Slightly inaccurate. The $250 million for a retractable roof is not the Vikings' choice.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

Zeus wrote:
    jmcdon00 wrote:
    marshallvike wrote:
    Slightly inaccurate. The $250 million for a retractable roof is not the Vikings' choice.

=Z=
    Not to mention the Vikings throwing out 250M. Oh my God!!! A professional sports franchise asking for public contributions!!! I mean, it's like never been heard of before!

This Ziggy guy is a real grade A a-hole. My backside hurts just thinking of his evilness.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Zeus wrote:
    jmcdon00 wrote:
    marshallvike wrote:

=Z=
    Actually it is grossly inacurrate. First of all, the Vikings are NOT the authors of the $954 million proposal OR the more current $870 million proposal. The MSFC proposed them.

Also, neither of the proposals were for $1 billion dollar stadiums - I don't know if $130 million is chump change to you, but it seems pretty significant to me.

Finally, Zygi has at least made a financial offer - he committed to a minimum $250 million of a new stadium.

So let's at least keep facts straight. The $870 million proposal (not $1 billion) is the most current, was proposed by the MSFC, contains a $250 million roof that the Vikings don't want, and the Vikings committed to spending $250 million of their own money.

That means that there is about $370 million that the Vikings are asking the state to absorb through their nether orifice, not $1 billion. BTW, have we mentioned that the Vikings are estimated to bring in $500 million in direct tax revenue to the state in the next 20 years? Why wouldn't people want to spend $370 million to make $500? The lack of business sense kills me sometimes.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

NodakPaul wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    jmcdon00 wrote:
    marshallvike wrote:

=Z=
    Actually it is grossly inacurrate. First of all, the Vikings are NOT the authors of the $954 million proposal OR the more current $870 million proposal. The MSFC proposed them.

Also, neither of the proposals were for $1 billion dollar stadiums - I don't know if $130 million is chump change to you, but it seems pretty significant to me.

Finally, Zygi has at least made a financial offer - he committed to a minimum $250 million of a new stadium.

So let's at least keep facts straight. The $870 million proposal (not $1 billion) is the most current, was proposed by the MSFC, contains a $250 million roof that the Vikings don't want, and the Vikings committed to spending $250 million of their own money.

That means that there is about $370 million that the Vikings are asking the state to absorb through their nether orifice, not $1 billion. BTW, have we mentioned that the Vikings are estimated to bring in $500 million in direct tax revenue to the state in the next 20 years? Why wouldn't people want to spend $370 million to make $500? The lack of business sense kills me sometimes.
    I have come to the conclusion that many/most of the people against it are more against it because of their own personal principles than anything else.

In my opinion, many people simplify it as "giving public money to a rich guy" and refuse to look any deeper than that, or are blinded by their own ideology. Looking at it in a different light is inconvenient and damaging, regardless of any benefit.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

BloodyHorns82 wrote:
    ...refuse to look any deeper than that, or are blinded by their own ideology. Looking at it in a different light is inconvenient and damaging, regardless of any benefit.
    Isn't that a prerequisite for being a member of pp.o?
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Prophet wrote:
    BloodyHorns82 wrote:
    ...refuse to look any deeper than that, or are blinded by their own ideology. Looking at it in a different light is inconvenient and damaging, regardless of any benefit.
    Isn't that a prerequisite for being a member of pp.o?
    I checked that box on my application.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

BleedinPandG is offline Coach

NodakPaul wrote:
    That means that there is about $370 million that the Vikings are asking the state to absorb through their nether orifice, not $1 billion. BTW, have we mentioned that the Vikings are estimated to bring in $500 million in direct tax revenue to the state in the next 20 years? Why wouldn't people want to spend $370 million to make $500? The lack of business sense kills me sometimes.[/quote]

NP... if you give me $370M and ask for $500M back 20 years from today, you're a fool... that's a horrible investment... 30% growth in 20 years? That's 1.5% per year WITHOUT compounding... inflation will run about 3.5% compounded.

While I believe there is a simple business case to be made for using the public funds (don't forget all those MN jobs this money will create), you didn't make it with the numbers you provided.
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast