Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

Re: With Kyle Orton Starting Our biggest Concern is stopping Hester

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    I'm just glad they don't put Hester in at RB... I know it sounds dumb, but this guy has the speed and moves to do some damage, making up for his lack of size.
    Not at RB. He'd be no better than Reggie Bush, probably worse.

He has great vision, but I think he works better on a larger scale, like kick and punt returns where he has the ability to see everyone around him. It's much more crowded running at a mass of 10-15 people all within about 10 yards of eachother, and it takes a different type of guy to do that. A 5-11 running back can't see a linebacker who's about to fill a gap over a 6'5 lineman, and weighing only 180 he'd get absolutely murdered.

He by no means has what it takes to be an NFL running back.
    Hester is the best return man in football.
    Possibly ever.
    But the Bears need to understand what his role is.
    He is not a WR.
    He is not a RB.
    He is a return man, and possibly a CB.
    Trying to force him into another role is not going to work.
    Agreed, but Chicago is desperate for some offense.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see him in a number of different roles on offense.

On the whole Orton thing, I don't know if it makes much difference between Rex, Griese or Orton.
    They have all had their moments, some good, mostly bad.
    I wouldn't take Orton for granted, give a guy a new chance to show himself and a lot of times they play above their level.
    It wouldn't be the first time a so-so QB looked good against us.
    This game means a lot to our season, recognition of the team is escalating, wins are now expected, pressure is mounting... very good test to see how we handle it.
    Another big step in making it into the good team category.
    Hopefully egos will stay in check and we continue to play like we have over the last month.

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

"tastywaves" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    I'm just glad they don't put Hester in at RB... I know it sounds dumb, but this guy has the speed and moves to do some damage, making up for his lack of size.
    Not at RB. He'd be no better than Reggie Bush, probably worse.

He has great vision, but I think he works better on a larger scale, like kick and punt returns where he has the ability to see everyone around him. It's much more crowded running at a mass of 10-15 people all within about 10 yards of eachother, and it takes a different type of guy to do that. A 5-11 running back can't see a linebacker who's about to fill a gap over a 6'5 lineman, and weighing only 180 he'd get absolutely murdered.

He by no means has what it takes to be an NFL running back.
    Hester is the best return man in football.
    Possibly ever.
    But the Bears need to understand what his role is.
    He is not a WR.
    He is not a RB.
    He is a return man, and possibly a CB.
    Trying to force him into another role is not going to work.
    Agreed, but Chicago is desperate for some offense.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see him in a number of different roles on offense.

On the whole Orton thing, I don't know if it makes much difference between Rex, Griese or Orton.
    They have all had their moments, some good, mostly bad.
    I wouldn't take Orton for granted, give a guy a new chance to show himself and a lot of times they play above their level.
    It wouldn't be the first time a so-so QB looked good against us.
    This game means a lot to our season, recognition of the team is escalating, wins are now expected, pressure is mounting... very good test to see how we handle it.
    Another big step in making it into the good team category.
    Hopefully egos will stay in check and we continue to play like we have over the last month.
    It doesn't make much of a difference between Rex, Griese or Orton. The problem on the Bears is their offensive line. Well, I guess it would make a difference if Orton is a better scrambler than the other two, but the key, as always, will be QB pressure.

On the plus side, with the other Adrian Peterson and the undersized Garrett Wolfe as the Bears' only options in the running game, the Vikings D should be able to make their offense more one-sided as the Lions'.

C Mac D is online now Posting to P'own

"josdin00" wrote:
    It doesn't make much of a difference between Rex, Griese or Orton. The problem on the Bears is their offensive line. Well, I guess it would make a difference if Orton is a better scrambler than the other two, but the key, as always, will be QB pressure.

On the plus side, with the other Adrian Peterson and the undersized Garrett Wolfe as the Bears' only options in the running game, the Vikings D should be able to make their offense more one-sided as the Lions'.
    Definitely agree... nice post.

The only difference is that the Lions had a much more threatening passing offense, and we still only allowed 10 points. We should have beat the Bears by much more than 3 points last time... can't wait for Monday night!
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"purplepowered" wrote:
    I know Orton beat us last time he started for the Bears but we were a totally different team then. The biggest thing we have to stop is Hester. We are better off kickiing out of bbounds and giving it to them on the 40 then an opp at the 40! What is your opinion. And Hey for some of you, my wife knows NOTHING about football so when we show up and starts talking about dogs and cats and stuff just be happy she is there. This is her First game live.
    I am just suprised
    she even wanted to go although she will be dressed up
    properly. Anyway back to game....do you feel there is any ther concerns I should be watching with Orton
    then the others?
    Overlooking a starting QB with a winning percentage such as Orton's is a recipe for disaster.
    Devin Hester is an amazingly skilled RETURN man, but that's all he is - a RETURN man.
    Making him the #1 target for stoppage is a great way to make sure that Bernard Berrien or Adrian Peterson (the other one) kicks the Vikings' butts.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Frostbite is offline Coach

Well Hester can certainly be a deciding factor in any game. Frankly, after watching the kick coverage against the Niners last week I sincerely hope the ST Coaches are smart enough NOT to kick the ball directly to him if at all. It would be awful to loose the Chicago game at home from a couple of Devin Hester Returns for scores or even great field position for later Chicago scores. We need to make sure Chicago special teams don't beat us.

Cheers!
    Where is Frostbite Falls Minnesota?

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

"Frostbite" wrote:
    Well Hester can certainly be a deciding factor in any game. Frankly, after watching the kick coverage against the Niners last week I sincerely hope the ST Coaches are smart enough NOT to kick the ball directly to him if at all. It would be awful to loose the Chicago game at home from a couple of Devin Hester Returns for scores or even great field position for later Chicago scores. We need to make sure Chicago special teams don't beat us.

Cheers!
    I wouldn't even complain if they kicked off out of bounds everytime. Let them start at the 40 every time.I don't think we can kick to him all game and not get burned.

PurplePowerPunch is offline Pro-Bowler

Kick the ball out of bounds Chilli, don't let D. Hester beat us!!!

ALL DAY!!!

funkyasflea is offline Pro-Bowler

I have an Idea...how about this.
    We onsides kick more than once....maybe even 3 times.
    Think about it, if we line up like normal all 3 times, they might expect one....but never more than that.
    usually a team will try to catch them off guard once during the game, but after the once the SP teams thinks their trickery is out of the way.
    Then, especially after the second onsides kick, they will think for sure we are done with the onsides thing.
    I trust our defense enough even if the onsides kick did not work once or twice.
    What would you guys think of that?

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"PurplePowerPunch" wrote:
    That would be the dumbest thing ever in the history of professional football.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Zeus" wrote:
    "PurplePowerPunch" wrote:
    That would be the dumbest thing ever in the history of professional football.

=Z=
    No kidding.
    Squib it if you don't want it to do to Hester.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast