Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    VikingPatrick is offline Rookie

*Koren Robinson Thread*

I think the Vikings had as bad a preseason week as you could have, losing two of their 10 most important players. Rookie Chad Greenway went down on a kicking-team play last Monday and is out for the year with a knee injury; he was going to be vital to a defense desperate for a playmaking linebacker. And Koren Robinson will almost certainly be suspended for the year after his DWI and high-speed car chase with the cops near the Vikings' training camp in Mankato, Minn. But I reserve my harshest comment for the Vikings. Whoever decided to pay Robinson any significant guaranteed money (in this case $1 million) and make him the team's No. 1 receiver -- owner Zygi Wilf, GM Rob Brzezinski, coach Brad Childress -- ought to have his head examined in the first place.

Next to the word unreliability in my Webster's is a mug shot of Robinson, who broke Mike Holmgren's all-time record for player mischief-making. Robinson is the type of player you invite to training camp and give a contract with a very low base salary, a tiny bonus (if you give him one at all) and a huge backside to the contract. If he won't take that, fine; let him infect some other team. Wilf has a lot to learn as an owner. The first thing is this: When you say over and over that you're going to run a tight ship and have a team the community can be proud of, mean it. If you import turds like Robinson -- and that is a bit harsh, really, because I've met the guy a couple of times and he seems like a decent fellow, but obviously one plagued by an addiction problem and a truth-telling problem -- and hand him a check for $1 million, you do not mean what you say about not employing the troublemakers. A leopard might change his spots, but it's ridiculous, with so little exposure to the guy, to reward said leopard so handsomely before he proves to you for a long time that he has.

When All else fails....at least theres Football. Beer, and Women (not necessarily in that order)

Del Rio Guest

Re: *Koren Robinson Thread*

I am having a hard time understanding the hate.

We signed him as a KR and he played one year, made the pro-bowl, was doing or at least saying all the right things.

So this season Zigy rewards him. He screws up. How could Wilf have known? How long is adequate to wait to hook him up? 4 pro-bowls? 10 years? What?

He was a free agent.

Prophet Guest

"Del" wrote:

We signed him as a KR and he played one year, made the pro-bowl, was doing or at least saying all the right things.

So this season Zigy rewards him. He screws up. How could Wilf have known? How long is adequate to wait to hook him up? 4 pro-bowls? 10 years? What?

He was a free agent.
    Correct.
    Four probowls and 10 years.
    How did you know the answer?
    I hadn't even asked the question yet.

Rastak is offline Rookie

"Del" wrote:

He was a free agent.

Plus it sounds like it was more of a series of one year contracts....hindsight is always 20/20. I think the Vikings somewhat protected themselves, although the bad publicity isn't good. I'm just glad the dumba$$ didn't kill anyone, how bad would the Vikings have looked then? (from a PR standpoint that is).

I agree with mr king a little.
    It is always easy to bring things like this up after it happened.
    If he would have spoken upon this when he got the contract, his article would have held more water.
    Everyone knew this was a gamble, the vikings got burned hard-core with it, hopefully zigy learned his lessen and will never give a "turd" like koren that much right away again.
    You republican whore!

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

I think PK is a little harsh in his write up, but to each their own. This whole situation has been unfortunate, but we'll get over it somehow. Hopefully Krob will get over his problems too.

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

boognish is offline Coordinator

"Del" wrote:

He was a free agent.
    Amen to that. As you said, it appeared as though he had things under control and played for that base salary, that King mentions, last year. He made the Pro-bowl and looked poised to move on to a prominent role in the offense. Other teams, most notably the Peckers, tried hard to sign him away from us. The Front office understandably didn't want him to repeat his pro-bowl caliber play with a division rival, so they signed him to a relatively modest contract that was laden with protections against the relapse he just suffered.

His base salary was only $600,000 and he now won't receive any of that, nor will he receive any of the other in-season roster bonuses. In short, the Vikes are not responsible for any of the remaining $11.6 million of his deal and have paid him $1 mill. split between a roster bonus and
    workout bonus. It always stings a little bit to lose that much money, but it could have been far worse, had our front office not had the foresight to structure K-Rob's contract as they did.
    I am a dipshit!!!

Prophet Guest

I remember reading somewhere how much coin the Vikes will lose out on in this deal, but can't remember where.
    According to KFFL it's in the millions.

Vikings | K. Robinson receives $10 million in bonuses - from www.KFFL.com
    Sat, 11 Mar 2006 11:26:44 -0800

Updating prevoius reports, Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports Minnesota Vikings WR Koren Robinson received $10 million in bonuses in his new three-year contract with the team. Of the $10 million, $5.5 million of it is guaranteed. Due to Robinson's past, the contract does protect the team in case he gets into more off-the-field issues.

Vikings | Team finally announces K. Robinson signing - from www.KFFL.com
    Thu, 23 Mar 2006 06:08:27 -0800

Don Seeholzer, of the Pioneer Press, reports the Minnesota Vikings finally announced the re-signing WR Koren Robinson, who agreed to a three-year, $12.7 million deal March 11.

Vikings | Contract update: K. Robinson - from www.KFFL.com
    Tue, 28 Mar 2006 20:08:31 -0800

Minnesota Vikings WR Koren Robinson signed a three-year contract with base salaries of $600,000 (2006), $750,000 (2007) and $1.05 million (2008).

Rastak is offline Rookie

"Prophet" wrote:
    the contract does protect the team in case he gets into more off-the-field issues.
    I keep reading that but what the heck does it actually mean...the local scribes should get the details.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

PK can KISS MY A$$...we will be just fine...$1 million is chump change in the NFL nowadays...teams lose more than that on first-round draft busts!

How the Vikes handle this situation will set the tone for the organization going forward.

Greenway was a much greater loss...but even so, we will still be just fine since Leber, Napo, EJ and Dontarrious will all step up and do the job!

We could always trade for Donnie Edwards though!
    (I had to put that in there for you guys...
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast