Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Koren Robinson: 'Ask For Help'

From the St. Paul Pioneer Press;

Posted on Mon, Apr. 03, 2006

[size=18px]'ASK FOR HELP'[/size]

Here's Vikings receiver Koren Robinson:

I didn't drink until my last year in college.

I'm glad I got that DWI when I was playing in Seattle. That turned it around.

I'm a better man. I'm a better father. I'm a better human.

Every time I was late to practice, alcohol was involved. I realized every time something was going bad in my life, alcohol was involved. I had to look at the equation: "Let's see what's going on. Something is not right. Let's take this out." You take out the alcohol, and it evens up every time.

If you have a problem, you've got to admit you have a problem and do something about it. Then you have to set up a plan so there's no possible way you're going to take another drink or be around any of that stuff.

In my situation, I had a pride issue. I had an ego. I felt like I was Superman. I felt if I wanted to run into that brick wall, that brick wall was going to move for me. Professional athletes feel like that. They don't want to feel weak, and they don't want to tell anyone their problem. I was saying, "Koren, this is hurting you. Drop your pride."

It's OK to ask for help. What other people think about you is none of your business.

I made the Pro Bowl as a returner. I have to make the Pro Bowl as a receiver now. That's a real high goal on my list.

Can I catch 100 passes for 1,600 yards and 16 touchdowns? That all sounds good, but I really don't put numbers on the table. That's jinxing yourself. If you don't meet them, you'll be all sad and down on yourself. I'm just looking to have a great year.

I feel great about the Vikings' offseason moves. Everybody thinks we're starting over. I feel like we still have people for the foundation and we're adding people to make the puzzle come together.

I like Brad Childress. He's a funny guy. We joke around all the time. You want to have a business relationship, but you want to have fun, too. Some people say he's a disciplinarian. I say he's a straight shooter. He tells you the way he wants it done. I respect a man like that.

I considered going to other teams. But I've been saying I wanted to stay in Minnesota and prosper in Minnesota. The fans and the organization showed me a lot of love.

The West Coast offense suits me. It gives me the opportunity to go downfield a little more. And it puts me in certain one-on-one matchups. I can do a lot of slants. A lot of outs. A lot of quick hitches. I can get the ball in my hands and use what I've got — my God-given ability.

I can make somebody miss and go 80 yards. It reminds me of my days as a running back in the rec league and in high school and college.

When I first got to college, I was a running back.

I haven't seen the new uniforms. I keep asking our equipment manager to show them to me.

I just saw "Inside Man" with Denzel Washington and Jodie Foster. Denzel is a great actor. It was a good movie. You're going to be surprised.

I'm too old to buy some fancy things with my signing bonus. I've pretty much got everything I want. I've got all the cars and jewelry and finer things in life. I'm in a different phase of my life. I'm going to church and hoping God keeps blessing me.

I'm into fishing. I fish for bass. I fish back in Charlotte and Raleigh. I haven't fished up here in Minnesota yet.

I listen to music. I read books. I like bowling, playing pool. I have a 170 bowling average. I just bowled a 197.

My favorite movie of all time is "The Shawshank Redemption." I just like the way Tim Robbins' character handled every situation.

I try to never miss "The Sopranos."

If a movie was made about my life, who would play me? Denzel would be too old. I'd say Usher. He could do the soundtrack, too.

The best advice I ever got was, "Don't be the one that stands in the way of your own success." We do tend to do that sometimes.

The worst advice I ever got was "Take this next drink."

If I could trade places for a day with any celebrity, I'd want it to be 50 Cent. I'd like to see what his lifestyle is like.

I let God's plan run its course.

I want my epitaph to say, "Here lies Koren Robinson, who overcame a lot of adversity to become a great human being."

'ASK FOR HELP'

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

hailtocarter is offline Asst. Coach

Re: Koren Robinson: 'Ask For Help'

I love that guy!

"Koren" wrote:
    I'm into fishing. I fish for bass. I fish back in Charlotte and Raleigh. I haven't fished up here in Minnesota yet.
    There you go Ned!

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

What a great read, also sounds like he has a solid hold on his sobriety and that will lead him to great things.

Out of all the players returning next season, K-Rob excites me the most, I know he has some mad skills and can't wait to see him on the field.

He is the main reason, I'm not that worried we lost Nate. I think he can play a better game than Nate in the long run.....

Also nice to see the coach getting some praise from a player. I think Childress may just be that next great Viking Coach.....

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "Koren" wrote:
    There you go Ned!
    Maybe I should send ole K-Rob an email, invite him out for a day on my new boat.... Del Rio, you can come to if you want...

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

"VikingNed" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Koren" wrote:
    There you go Ned!
    Maybe I should send ole K-Rob an email, invite him out for a day on my new boat.... Del Rio, you can come to if you want...

Sure! Leave me out! :wink:

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

another proving statement that K-rop is a stand up guy. on and off the field..

great to see how players who ARE a part of the system are getting to know the new plans, schedules, and coaches!!

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

Mark_The_Viking is offline Asst. Coach

Don't know why but reading this gave me a real buzz of excitement about the upcoming season. K.rob will do the business and so will all the other guys. I'm not saying this is a superbowl year but its the makings of one heck of a team.

Cmon Vikings
    Purple till i die

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Awesome he is on a mission to get to the pro bowl as a WR

KROB the new face of the VIkings. This was a great read. RESPECT!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast