Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

Kluwe will play Sunday !!

League issues warning about fake crowd noise
    Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune

In the wake of a national report that the Indianapolis Colts piped in artificial crowd noise when they played Pittsburgh at the RCA Dome on Nov. 28, the NFL sent a memo to all 32 teams this week warning against resorting to such tactics in order distract opponents.

The league did not investigate that specific incident, but it might not be a coincidence the memo went out the same week the Steelers are playing in the Metrodome. Pittsburgh, which lost to the Colts in that Monday night game, is 4-7 in domes since Bill Cowher took over in 1992. That includes three consecutive losses. The Steelers' last victory inside occurred in 1996, when they beat Atlanta 20-17.

Despite its timing, Steve LaCroix, Vikings vice president of sales and marketing, said he did not think the memo was in reference to any specific incident.

LaCroix also said that while the Steelers will have to deal with a noisy building Sunday, it won't be because of any fake crowd noise. "We do not and have never piped in crowd noise, and we don't plan to do so," he said. "Our fans are certainly loud enough, and there's no need for artificial crowd noise."

Teams were threatened with fines or loss of draft picks as penalties for using fake crowd noise.

Confident Kluwe

Punter Chris Kluwe remains listed as questionable on the injury report for Sunday's game against Pittsburgh, but the rookie said Thursday he should be ready to return.

Kluwe, who missed Sunday's game against St. Louis after spraining his right knee Dec. 4 at Detroit, has punted the past two days and said that although the knee remains sore, it's "good enough to kick on."

The Vikings would welcome Kluwe's return. He is second in the NFC with a 45.3 gross average. Veteran Darren Bennett averaged 37.5 yards (34.4 net) against the Rams, drawing the ire of the Metrodome fans on a few occasions. Bennett remains on the roster in case Kluwe has any type of setback.

"We'll know more in the morning," coach Mike Tice said. "It is one of those let's see how he wakes. That is why we kept Darren around. Say Chris wakes up poorly on Saturday morning, then Darren will kick."

Kluwe went to the Metrodome on Thursday in order to punt in normal conditions -- the height of the roof in the Vikings' indoor practice facility doesn't allow him that freedom -- and was pleased with how things turned out. Kluwe, though, admits the knee is only at about 80 to 85 percent; the remaining swelling will cost him a couple of yards on punts. "I can't snap through as hard, but it feels pretty good," Kluwe said.

Etc.

• Tice has been impressed by what he has seen from defensive tackle Kevin Williams, who is expected to return Sunday after missing the past two games because of a sprained right knee. "Kevin is doing great," Tice said. "I thought he took too many plays in practice [Wednesday]. The first play he was in there he got a sack. ... His weight is as a good as it has been since the season ended last [year]. His spirits are good."

• Linebacker and special teams contributor Heath Farwell suffered a setback when he experienced swelling in his sprained right knee. Farwell, who missed Sunday's game, was held out of practice Thursday and downgraded to questionable on the injury report.

• Quarterback Brad Johnson, who rolled his right ankle against the Rams, is doing "really well," athletic trainer Chuck Barta said. Johnson has not missed any practice time and isn't on the injury report.

• The Steelers added backup tight end Jerame Tuman (knee) to their injury report, listing him as probable.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/510/5785587.html

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Re: Kluwe will play Sunday !!

Good, we need all the help we can get from this team.

Pitt has had problems on ST this year. Having a good punter will not help them either!

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Good, we need all the help we can get from this team.

Pitt has had problems on ST this year. Having a good punter will not help them either!
    Every little aspect is needed. Complete team win needed here ... Man, I would love a return TD by either MeMo or K.Rob. Oh wait, maybe Tice cut MeMo off the punt return also?? Has anyone heard anything?? :wink:

michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni

now we can ship Darren Bennet back to San Diego to work on his new business. HELLLLL YEAHHHHHH!! Kluee Rocks.

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Thats good about Kluwe and even better about Williams. We're gonna need the Williams Moving CO to be there sunday.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

even if he isnt 100% and kicks 10 yards less than he does normally, he is still better than darren
    We're bringing purple back.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

This is some great news all around....KW and Kluwe, ready to do their thing.......

I swear, if we come out of this game winners, I'll put my boots away for the rest of the season....

Well, maybe just one of them.....LOL

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

smootloot is offline Starter

the first time i saw that guy punt i was like man whos this guy. we are going to be horrible at punting again this year too but the guy can play. i root for the guy to get back out thier.
    "Ron Mexico is here."

Gift is offline Coordinator

THANK GOD!
    http://www.purplepride.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6169&dateline=1318052  159

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

this is great news i miss his sky scrapers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast