Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    A majority of American believe ... a minority of American believe ...?

The Bill of Rights was created, among other things, to protect the minority from the majority.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    I realize this was a rant, but you make some factual mistakes...
    I do that from time to time. I try not to, but....you know.

1) The majority of americans do NOT think that marriage should be restricted. A recent gallop poll shows that the majority of americans (52%) would support a nation wide marriage equality law or amendment
    I support it. I see no reason that heterosexuals should be the only ones miserable....

2) There is a difference between saying that you support marriage equality and saying that every homosexual should be rounded up and put on an island and then nuke it. Saying that Kluwe's comments are offensive to the majority of americans is not only wrong, but off base by comparison.
    yes...there is a difference.

There is also a difference in conviction level of those statements.

Most people making statements for the former can look you in the eye and make an honest commitment to that point of view. And, if given the opportunity, would back it up.

Most people stating the latter are talking out their asses. It's an ignorant statement (at best) designed to ruffle someones feathers. While I'm certain there is a very small percentage of mental midgets who could claim they would nuke an island of homosexuals, most people making this type of comment aren't serious. Thoughtless, but not serious.

Much like when I litanize all the horrible things I wish would happen to most politicians...I don't REALLY want horrible things to happen to them, I simply want them to quit being such a pain in the ass.

3) This wasn't a case of speaking before thinking.
    Oh, I think it most certainly was. IF he said it, considering his position, he had FAR more to lose than he could ever possibly gain by pissing off Kluwe. He ABSOLUTELY did not think.

4) While it isn't Priefer's job to be an emotional counselor, he IS required (by law) to provide a non-hostile workplace.
    Ironically, it wasn't work related. See, funny thing is that if Kluwe were not the Vikings punter, no one wold have cared what his opinion was. So he leveraged his minor celebrity status into a spokesperson position, effectively capitalizing on the celebrity his job offered, then expected his job not to interfere with that.

IF Priefer said what Kluwe alleged, I think he was out of line. But I also think Kluwe was incredibly selfish about the whole thing. Kluwe, by his own admission, essentially told Frazier and the Vikings that he would do this HIS way, on HIS terms, to any audience HE chose. Try that where YOU work, let me know how that turns out for you.

5) Kluwe isn't suing anyone. He wrote an editorial on deadspin that prompted an investigation by the Vikings.
    Apparently he now IS suing.

I am not impressed with Kluwe's behavior at all, and I think PF nailed it. But let's not pretend like Priefer is some poor innocent victim who misspoke. Priefer is probably a good guy, but he let his views interfere with his work just as much as Kluwe did.
    Agreed, Priefer probably isn't innocent. But there are ways to handle this, and they DON'T involve a LOOK AT ME editorial 2 years after you're released. It smacks of desperation for attention.

I think Kluwe is an attention whore who is pissed the spotlight is off. So he's ramping this up to get more attention.

Caine

Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post

The Bill of Rights was created, among other things, to protect the minority from the majority.
    Well, not really. And it hasn't done jack all to stop the people at the top from repeatedly ass raping the rest of us.

But we like to trot it out every now and again to pretend we're all about fair play and equality.

God made all men...

...Sam Colt made all men equal.

Caine

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post

Well, not really. And it hasn't done jack all to stop the people at the top from repeatedly ass raping the rest of us.

But we like to trot it out every now and again to pretend we're all about fair play and equality.
    As I stated, the Bill of Rights was created to protect the minority from the "tyranny of the majority" and from an overstepping federal government. Since the federal government basically ignores the Constitution, and the SCOTUS rules in favor of corporations over people, the Bill of Rights has been trampled on and shoved into a dark drawer.

vikesrgreat2 is offline Starter
    Blog Entries
    As I stated, the Bill of Rights was created to protect the minority from the "tyranny of the majority" and from an overstepping federal government. Since the federal government basically ignores the Constitution, and the SCOTUS rules in favor of corporations over people, the Bill of Rights has been trampled on and shoved into a dark drawer.
    Well said, Minniman! I fully agree with your opinion on the SCOTUS and Bill of Rights. I have some rather strong religious and personal views on things, but this is not the time and the place for me to share them with you...

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Since the SCOTUS decision you seem to be referring to actually allowed grass-root organizations the ability to become non-profits the way unions and other organizations have enjoyed since I have been alive, I don't see that as big a threat as you do. What bothers me more regarding SCOTUS is our chief justice being more worried about how he is treated at the DC parties he goes to. It doesn't make for a lot of faith in ANY part of our government when a man that powerful tries to bend over backwards "finding" taxes that don't exist so he is popular when wined and dined.

As for gay marriage, where the heck does the US Government find the right to have ANY say in marriage? At this point, they should mandate states to issue Civil Union licenses, and leave the definition of "marriage" to the states. That way, everything stays consistent regardless of differing state laws. I do not want the Federal Government defining ANYTHING if I could get away with it. What is "common" in New York is not "common" in Oregon, what is "right" in Alabama might not be "right" in Idaho. There are some things you just can't rubber-stamp.

If all federal regulations and laws regarding marriage were changed to civil unions, this issue would die as a national problem. Places like Utah would bar gays from being "married", but those citizens could just go and get a civil union for the same rights and responsibilities heterosexuals enjoy/endure in the federal system. Better yet, they could get their CU just like my wife and I did, then go to their church that doesn't frown on homosexuality and marry like we did.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

I agree with most of the above 3 posts...

...and I still think Kluwe is a twat.

Caine

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    I agree with most of the above 3 posts...

...and I still think Kluwe is a twat.

Caine
    Not very PC of you Caine. Maybe you could become a Vikings assistant coach with that attitude.

WWBGD

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RK. View Post
    Not very PC of you Caine. Maybe you could become a Vikings assistant coach with that attitude.

I suggest you go to Twitter and Tweet about his Twat comment.

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    T'was a twat that was tweeted, on Twitter twice today...
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast