COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

KLUWE RECOVERING FROM INJURY

http://www.vikings.com/news_detail_objectname_CKluweFeature62706.html

Author: Mike Wobschall, vikings.com

After suffering a knee injury that left him with a torn ACL in his right knee, Minnesota Vikings punter Chris Kluwe was down and out. But now, he's up and kicking at Winter Park.

"It's coming along pretty well," Kluwe said after the team concluded its final minicamp before training camp begins in late July. "It feels 100% right now so hopefully I should be able to starting kicking next week sometime and work back into things."

And that is good news for the Vikings.

Minnesota picked Kluwe up when the Seattle Seahawks released him after training camp last season. It was a fabulous acquisition for the team as Kluwe went on to average 44.1 yards per kick, second in the NFC and sixth in the league, with just six touchbacks in 15 games. He had 17 punts downed inside the 20-yard line.

The former UCLA star had similar success in the college ranks. Kluwe was one of the Bruins better punters in school history, averaging 42.8 yards per punt during his career. He used his strong leg to break two school records (Punt Yardage and Number of Punts in a season) while playing for UCLA.

The injury happened in a Dec. 4th game against the Detroit Lions. From that point on, Kluwe was not nearly as effective as he had been. He averaged just 38.5 yards per kick after the injury, a decrease of five and a half yards per kick from his normal average.

It was actually the second time Kluwe suffered such an injury. He had previously torn the ACL in his non-kicking (left) knee.

"I had a similar injury before actually," Kluwe said. "I tore my ACL in my left knee. So I didn't know what it would be like to have it in my kicking knee. But the doctor who did the surgery, Dr. Jackson, does a very good job and he did my left knee also. So I have full faith in the work he did and it feels great right now.

"After talking with the doctors they said it would be about five months until I could start kicking again. They said that was the usual recovery time."

Head Coach Brad Childress knows the value of a good kicker and sees that value in Kluwe. He seems optimistic about his punter's prognosis, mainly because of the progress of Kluwe's rehabilitation.

"I'm not concerned right now from the standpoint that his rehab has progressed," Childress said. "You have to kind of go with that protocol. He's been diligent about that. Obviously he's a proven commodity kicking the football. There's not a lot of data on how guys come back from ACL's on kicking legs, so we'll just have to see. In a perfect world, he comes back and he's stronger than ever. Sometimes those guys come back from rehabbing that leg so hard. We'll just have to see."

An injury such as Kluwe's is not uncommon among NFL players. However, most victims of that sort of injury are not kickers. Though much of the rehabilitation is the same, Kluwe said there were a few differences.

"It was mainly the same activities except not so much emphasis on the cutting and that type of stuff. I'm not really out on the field jumping back and forth from side to side, mine's more straight ahead. So we focused more on the actual motions that are more conducive to kicking instead of side to side type stuff."

Whether they make Kluwe jump from side to side or up and down, Childress and the Vikings just want to make sure he's ready to go when the team opens up the 2006 campaign. Though the difference between Kluwe and the average NFL punter may be just a few yards per kick, in a game of inches, a few yards means can mean the whole world.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Prophet Guest

Re: KLUWE RECOVERING FROM INJURY

KFFL
    Vikings | Kluwe feels fully healthy
    Tue, 27 Jun 2006 10:56:15 -0700

Mike Wobschall, of Vikings.com, reports Minnesota Vikings P Chris Kluwe (knee) is rehabbing from the torn ACL he suffered last season and feels ready to play again. "It's coming along pretty well," Kluwe said. "It feels 100% right now so hopefully I should be able to starting kicking next week sometime and work back into things."

thetrenches68OL is offline Asst. Coach

i like kluwe give a year or 2 and he will be a great punter mark my words gerat
    The Trenches are where Games are Decided

Hutch and K. Will baby

sig by PurplePeopleEaters

nephilimstorm is offline Star Spokesman

oops someone beat me

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"thetrenches68OL" wrote:
    I think he will be a great punter this season. Hell, he was great last season!
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

nephilimstorm is offline Star Spokesman

Kluwe I think is a pro bowl caliber player...with that type of net yards per punt...hell go like scott player did in the past or present i dont remember who went last year for NFC punter

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

"thetrenches68OL" wrote:
    He already is! :smile:

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

good to hear, love that kid

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

He is the only punter that I have really been a fan of. Probably because ever since Berger left we have had just horible punters. Kluwe is a STUD!

If he has the same success as last year he could be in the Pro Bowl.

The most powerful character in Final Fantasy history