singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Kluwe: Longing for long punts

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Kluwe: Longing for long punts

In an earlier interview Kluwe had said that Tice's idea of a punter was just to boom the ball as far as he could. Now Childress comes along and uses a punter in a whole different way -- directional punting.
    This quote from the article says it all:
    Kluwe said directional punting might also be why his yardage has dipped, because kicking at an angle isn't as efficient as kicking straight, which, he said, is every punter's preference.
    Despite struggling with finding the right direction, Kluwe has placed nine of his 25 punts inside the 20-yard line, giving the Vikings' defense strong field position.
    Now tell me what you'd rather have -- a punter just booming the ball or someone doing a great job of punting to give the team the best field position.
    Here again, the press is looking for a way to make the Vikings look bad.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    In an earlier interview Kluwe had said that Tice's idea of a punter was just to boom the ball as far as he could...
    Now, why would that not surprise me.
    Meathead seemed like such an intellectual-type coach too.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

petrodemos is offline Asst. Coach

last week i was reading that the vikings punting was terrible, his average was sub-par....and i thought WTF, Kluwe is the best punter the vikings have had since mitch burger. so what his average is down, he can still boom the piss out of it if he needs to, and besides right now you dont want to outkick the sucky coverage the vikings have either.

chug o nomics is offline Training Camp

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    In an earlier interview Kluwe had said that Tice's idea of a punter was just to boom the ball as far as he could. Now Childress comes along and uses a punter in a whole different way -- directional punting.
    This quote from the article says it all:
    Kluwe said directional punting might also be why his yardage has dipped, because kicking at an angle isn't as efficient as kicking straight, which, he said, is every punter's preference.
    Despite struggling with finding the right direction, Kluwe has placed nine of his 25 punts inside the 20-yard line, giving the Vikings' defense strong field position.
    Now tell me what you'd rather have -- a punter just booming the ball or someone doing a great job of punting to give the team the best field position.
    Here again, the press is looking for a way to make the Vikings look bad.
    I agree completely.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

It all depends on what your field position, who is returning punts, and how good your coverage is.
    Obviously if you are near midfield, you're going to want it to punt it near the sidelines to get the ball inside the 20 yard line.
    If your on your own 20 yard line, it's a different matter, you'll want to boom it and hope to get dome good hangtime as well.
    It's not always "kick deep" or always "kick directionally".

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.