Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Kluwe Impresses In The 2010 Opener

Purple Floyd wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Purple Floyd wrote:
    Amazing how good the punter can do when the gunners actually stay in their lanes and do what they are supposed to do.
    What is also amazing is how good gunners look when they run down a lane and the ball is actually at the end of that lane istead of on the other side of the field.
    Ahhhh, leave it to Marr. The Chubby Checker of PP.O

Nobody does the TWIST better than you my friend. :woohoo:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r28ONuvA9rA
    How am I twisting anything?

I have always contended that we needed a change at ST's coordinator and they needed to go to directional kicking instead of just kicking the shit out of hit.

As always, its just me spinning it when you guys have no real retort for my comment.

Again, been listening to Mars a bit to much if you ask me.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

marstc09 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:
    Really, the same guy Marrdro calls Clueless? No Marrdro that is Chilly.
    Again, that is the best you have....as usual, you get a bit lost in the discussion of a few things like DT play, WR play and especially ST's play.......let me help you get back into the conversation on the right track again my friend....

Why did I call him Klueless? Because the ST's Coordinator had him kicking the living shit out of it with no rhyme or reason, often times kicking it to the opposite side of the coverage and almost always, outkicking the coverage. Sometimes he even kicked it to the returner even though the coaching staff told him not to for cripes sake.

Why is he having more success now? Now we have a ST's Coordinator (and two new assistants added last year) who have a fricken clue. Ole Klueless is now kicking to spots. Sacrificing distance for hang time and accuracy like the rest of the punters in the league are taught to do.

As a result of this, our coverage guys can run down a lane that actually coincides with were the ball is going to be at a specific time.

We actually saw the start of this last year and I gave him and the coordinator props several times for it. Hell, I even posted a article or two that explained the whole change that was the direct reason for better results.

Give credit to the coverage teams if you want, I give credit to the coaches who are now teaching the players how to do it right.
    Oh please Marrdro. Even Kluwe said it was the coaches who wanted him to kick that way. Kluwe did not need teaching. I think it is you who is lost my friend.
    Talk about me spinning......

Of course he said that. But do you remember what his frame of reference was? It was the old ST's Coord promoted just kicking the shit out of it, not directional kicking.

He then went on to explain how he had to work at it a bit and that the new assistants were helping in that area.

Comeon my friend. Admit it, its OK. Its a fan discussion site. Open thoughts are welcome.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

I agree that Kluwe has improved.
    He used to out kick his coverage and just boom it into the endzone rather than trying to kick out of bounds or pin the returner inside the twenty.

By the same token, our gunners always seemed to get blocked and the opponents gunners always seemed to get free.

I think we've improved in both areas.

As to the kickoffs; Loyd couldn't get it to the endzone much of the time, no reason to keep him around.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

jargomcfargo wrote:
    He used to out kick his coverage and just boom it into the endzone rather than trying to kick out of bounds or pin the returner inside the twenty.

By the same token, our gunners always seemed to get blocked and the opponents gunners always seemed to get free.

As to the kickoffs; Loyd couldn't get it to the endzone much of the time, no reason to keep him around.
    I threw this out during preseason and never really had a chance to discuss it, but consider this.......

What good does it do, during preseason, to kick it out of the endzone for a touchback?

Surely that isn't conduscive to testing and evaluating your coverage teams?

Look, I'm not saying that is what we were seeing, but I don't think we can sit here and say he couldn't kick it deep enough for a touchback based on what we saw in preseason.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Marrdro wrote:
    jargomcfargo wrote:

I threw this out during preseason and never really had a chance to discuss it, but consider this.......

What good does it do, during preseason, to kick it out of the endzone for a touchback?

Look, I'm not saying that is what we were seeing, but I don't think we can sit here and say he couldn't kick it deep enough for a touchback based on what we saw in preseason.
    Understood, but wasn't that the entire reason he was there? I mean to see if he could consistantly kick it out of the end zone?
    At least one boot through the endzone would have been encouraging.

If what you say is true, he didn't ever have a real chance at making the roster.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Marrdro wrote:
    jargomcfargo wrote:

If that was the case, and the coaches actually asked him to not kick it through the endzone, then they would have kept him on the roster. They brought him in to kick it deep, and they couldn't cut him unless he couldn't do it consistently. If he did what they asked him to do, then they would have kept him.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

12purplepride28 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    jargomcfargo wrote:

If that was the case, and the coaches actually asked him to not kick it through the endzone, then they would have kept him on the roster. They brought him in to kick it deep, and they couldn't cut him unless he couldn't do it consistently. If he did what they asked him to do, then they would have kept him.
    Two things....

a. Did you watch the last preseason game?

b. They opted not to keep him because they can't afford the roster spot.

In the article, he clearly said that the staff was going to try to bring him back later in the year if they got that straightened out.

Rhys, obviously wanted to get paid, so he opted to take the next job that became available. I don't blame him for that.

jargomcfargo wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    jargomcfargo wrote:

Understood, but wasn't that the entire reason he was there? I mean to see if he could consistantly kick it out of the end zone?
    At least one boot through the endzone would have been encouraging.

If what you say is true, he didn't ever have a real chance at making the roster.
    I really think the staffs original intent was to keep him. Unfortunatley, events overcame that plan.

By the way, there aren't many that can kick it out of the endzone. What Rhys can do is kick it into the endzone, with significant enough hang time to allow the coverage unit to get down the field forcing the guy to take a knee.

Just saying, so we don't go down the path that people are clear about this.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Marrdro wrote:
    12purplepride28 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    jargomcfargo wrote:

Two things....

In the article, he clearly said that the staff was going to try to bring him back later in the year if they got that straightened out.

Rhys, obviously wanted to get paid, so he opted to take the next job that became available. I don't blame him for that.
    Yes, he had like 2 TBs. But if we believed he was good enough to kick it deep everytime, I think he would be more valuable then someone who just plays special teams.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

12purplepride28 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    12purplepride28 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    jargomcfargo wrote:

Two things....

Yes, he had like 2 TBs. But if we believed he was good enough to kick it deep everytime, I think he would be more valuable then someone who just plays special teams.
    I wish it was that easy.......

Those same cats that play ST's also round out your depth. Issues at CB and WR kindof eliminated any sort of roster spot for him.

When the staff put all that together and then had to get down to thier game day rosters, there just wasn't a spot to sacrifice, unless of course you consider the Long Snapper.

Problem there is, then JA would have to take reps off from the defensive gameplan implementation to practice snapping with the kickers.

My guess, the staff elected to fight through the shorter kickoffs by Shortwell rather than having a bad snap in the endzone (on a punt).

On a side note, I would kill to get in on a few of these staff meetings when they make these kinds of decisions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12