Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kluwe

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Kluwe

Kluwe will be just fine!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

One of our brighter spots for sure last year. Nice to see he is confident and on the field feeling good about himself...

I really believe Kluwe will be a Viking for a long time....

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

This is indeed very relieving news. I was so pissed when he got hurt, I blamed that guy who smashed into him (can't remember his name) for it. Looking back, its probably just part of the game. I would like to hope that nothign was intentional.

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

glad 2 hear he's kickin again. we do have a great tandem now and hopefully this will just add to the team upgrade.

i can't wait anylonger for the season!!!

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

The good old quote:

When he arrived at UCLA, Kluwe began punting balls from midfield out of the end zone, over a 60-foot screen that borders the practice field and onto the roof of Pauley Pavilion. Coach Bob Toledo joked that he was going to deduct the cost of the balls from Kluwe's scholarship.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

"cogitans" wrote:
    The good old quote:

When he arrived at UCLA, Kluwe began punting balls from midfield out of the end zone, over a 60-foot screen that borders the practice field and onto the roof of Pauley Pavilion. Coach Bob Toledo joked that he was going to deduct the cost of the balls from Kluwe's scholarship.
    That's the first time I've ever seen that quote. Between that and what he's doing for us now, you've gotta wonder why Seattle let him go at the beginning of last season.

Another player we stole from the Seahags! :wink:

Prophet Guest

KFFL
    Vikings | Kluwe handles majority of punting during morning practice
    Fri, 28 Jul 2006 22:03:57 -0700

Mark Craig and Judd Zulgad, of the Star Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings P Chris Kluwe (knee) handled the majority of punting duties during the morning practice Friday, July 28. It was the first time he was able to punt without any restrictions since having surgery. Kluwe claims that it felt great and that his knee feels 100 percent.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Posted on Sat, Jul. 29, 2006

[size=18px]Kluwe gets kick out of it[/size]
    Vikings punter has recovered from offseason knee surgery

BY DON SEEHOLZER
    Pioneer Press

MANKATO, Minn. — The first practice of coach Brad Childress' first training camp with the Vikings was notable more for the heat than for players running around in shorts, but it did feature one sight not seen since the final game of last season.

Punter Chris Kluwe, who spent almost the entire offseason recovering from late-January surgery to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee, finally cut loose with a few kicks Friday and reported that everything went well.

"It felt good. It felt really good," he said. "I was hitting them well. It felt good coming off my foot, I didn't feel any pain or anything, so hopefully it's good to go."

Kluwe said he had been kicking at 50-75 percent for a couple of weeks leading up to camp, but this was the first time he was allowed to really let fly.

According to him, the knee feels as good as new.

"I feel like I'm ready to go," he said. "It feels great. It might get a little swollen afterward, but it'll be gone by the next day. It feels 100 percent right now."

That's encouraging news for the Vikings, who are hoping for a rerun of Kluwe's rookie season, when he ranked second in the NFC and sixth in the NFL with a 44.1-yard average.

Kluwe, who suffered the injury during a Dec. 4 game at Detroit, could have gotten an earlier start on his rehabilitation if he hadn't returned after just one week to kick in the final three games.

He insisted that waiting until after the season to have surgery didn't set him back, though, and wouldn't have been worth the risk of the team bringing in another punter who might have taken his job.

"I'd be a hypocrite to say I wasn't worried because that's how I got my position," he said. "That's how I got my foot in the door here for that one week, and I never let go."

Signed by the Vikings as a possible short-term fix after they released veteran punter Darren Bennett in the final cut, Kluwe made the most of his opportunity.

This offseason, he had to watch while rookie free agent John Torp handled the punting.

Throw in the fact that the Vikings have a new coaching staff and Childress' stated concerns about a player at Kluwe's position coming back from ACL surgery, and it's enough to make anyone nervous.

"You can't just worry about camp, either," Kluwe said. "There's all these other guys out there on the street. You just have to do the best you can, and hopefully it's good enough."

Released by Seattle in last year's final cut, Kluwe is taking nothing for granted. He said the left-footed Torp kicked well during the offseason and predicts a tough training-camp battle, insisting the coaches haven't told him the starting job is his to lose.

"They haven't said anything like that," he said. "The way I look at it is I'm always behind and I've always got to work to be the No. 1 guy. If you ever go into it thinking you are the No. 1 guy, that's usually the time you get tripped up. So for me, I always have something to prove out here."

Torp said he's looking at it the same way and doesn't feel this is a fight he'll have to win by a knockout.

"You'd almost think that," he said. "I think it's a wide-open battle. Right now, we're in camp and I've just got to work on getting better and kind of let what happens happens and roll with the punches."

If Torp has any advantage, it could be in the area of directional kicking, which he demonstrated during the offseason and again Friday.

"A lot of teams more and more are starting to do directional kicking," he said. "Actually, that's always been one of my specialties. I feel really comfortable doing that."

With Kluwe in recovery mode, Torp had the punting job to himself during the offseason, but last year's starter has put aside his knee brace and taken up the gauntlet.

As Torp said, "It's game on."

Don Seeholzer can be reached at [email protected]

Kluwe gets kick out of it

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Published July 30, 2006 10:48 am

Kluwe had impressive rookie season cut short by knee injury, which required offseason surgery.MN

[size=18px]Vikings punter feeling good[/size]
    Some soreness in knee, but that's expected

Chad Courrier
    Free Press
    Staff Writer

MANKATO — Through four practices, Vikings punter Chris Kluwe has been giving his leg a good workout. And other than the usual training camp soreness, his surgically repaired right knee has held up well.

“It still swells after every practice, but a little ice takes care of that,” Kluwe said. “That will probably still be happening for another five, six months.”

Kluwe was picked up on waivers from Seattle just a week before last season’s opener, replacing Darren Bennett. Kluwe was impressive, averaging 44.1 yards per punt, second best in the NFC.

But late in the season, he suffered a knee injury that required offseason surgery, and this is the first opportunity he’s had to test the knee.

“My leg feels good, I feel like I’m getting good power,” he said. “I’m just concentrating on technique and timing because I haven’t kicked anything in six months.”

This excerpt was taking from the following article;

Full article: Vikings punter feeling good

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12