Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Kleinsasser, Wiggins - Out of the loop

people worry too much, these guys are all very talented, we have a lot of people that we want to spread the ball around to.

it will happen, and when it all clicks the defense will have to respect everyone on the field

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Posted on Sun, Oct. 01, 2006

[size=13pt]Wiggins likely to become more involved[/size]

Q: Don, why have the Vikings gone away from Jermaine Wiggins? He would have been the perfect candidate for Brad Johnson on the fourth-and-2 play. Wiggins has proven on clutch catches to move the chain time and time again; yet, the Vikings opt to go long on that play. One catch for Wiggins during the Bears game just doesn't make sense. Don't get me wrong, (Jim) Kleinsasser is a good tight end, but the Vikings need Wiggins for the offensive output. I thought (Brad) Childress' system utilized the tight end? Thank you.

Dakao, Lake Forest, Calif.

A: Childress said the same thing the other day, so I would look for Wiggins to be more involved, starting this week.

Q: For all the tens of millions invested in the O-line, and for all the hype about the addition of (Steve) Hutchinson, the return of (Matt) Birk and the maturation of (Bryant) McKinnie, I ask you: From what they have shown so far (and I know it's early in the season), is this year's O-line any better than last year's disgrace?

Fran Fan, Bloomington

A: You have to give some credit to the other defense, and the three Ds the Vikings have faced so far are pretty good. Even so, the offensive line and entire offense have plenty of room for improvement.

Q: Don, I am proud of the team. They played hard and played well enough to win. Just a couple of mistakes near the end did them in. A quick point and question: (Mike) Tomlin (who is doing a great job) prefers blitzing up the middle, which worked last week and vs. the Bears in the first half. But the Bears adjusted to it at halftime and it was no longer working. Yet the Vikes kept trying it anyway, and it left their secondary undermanned. Is it fair to question why they did not try a different blitz package in the second half?

RJ, Akron, Ohio

A:
    It's a fair question, but I thought the Vikings did a good job of pressuring Rex Grossman until the very end, when it mattered most. With the game on the line, the defense couldn't get to the quarterback or cover, which wiped out a lot of the good things it did to that point.

Q: Don, what's with the officiating in the NFL? I'm a Vikings fan living in Mississippi, so of course I have NFL Sunday Ticket so I can watch the Vikes. I now must change my opinion that it was just the Vikings that got zebra'ed. Every game has terrible calls that scream for more coaches challenges on everything the refs do. Like Troy Williamson's phantom pass interference. If the official who is supposed to make the call and who is in position to make the call doesn't make the call and an out-of-position official throws a flag, there should be a quick booth review.

Steve, Brandon, Miss.

A: I have no problem with a quick replay review. The trouble with instant replay is there are too many reviews, they take too long, and too often the officials still get it wrong.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Posted on Thu, Oct. 05, 2006

[size=13pt]Vikings passing game: Throw him (or whoever's open) the ball![/size]

DAVE CAMPBELL
    Associated Press

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. - One of the trademarks of the traditional West Coast offense is a heavy involvement in the passing game from the tight end, as the Green Bay Packers, for instance, showed throughout the 1990s.

One of the storylines surrounding Minnesota's training camp this summer was that same notion. The Vikings would be throwing to Jermaine Wiggins a lot, and Jim Kleinsasser would also be in the plans.

Well, through the first quarter of the season, that hasn't really happened. Kleinsasser has caught only three balls for 18 yards, and Wiggins - though tied for second on the team with 14 receptions and third in yards with 121 - has not made an impact in two of the four games.

Brad Johnson completed six passes to Wiggins for 59 yards in last week's loss to the Buffalo Bills, so that meant the Vikings were trying to work him in more, right?

"I'm not going to necessarily say that we went after trying to get Wiggins the ball," offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell said. "Again, the coverage dictated and the plays dictated and the progression dictated that that's where the ball goes. Again, I think we've had four games. Three different leading receivers. Wherever the coverage dictates is where Brad is going to go with the ball."

One problem, of course, has been a consistently strong pass rush on Johnson, who has been sacked seven times. Penalties, turnovers and a team average of 3.6 yards per carry aren't helping Minnesota find an offensive flow, either.

"I've always looked at it like - you know what? - take what they give us," Wiggins said before Thursday's practice. "Throw it to whoever's open, and Brad's been doing a good job of getting the ball to us. That's the bottom line. You can only go out there and run what's called, and the quarterback has progressions to go through, and when the ball comes your way, catch it and make a play."

Wiggins is questionable for Sunday's game against Detroit because of a hamstring injury, but he practiced on Thursday.

---

REMEMBER ME?: Though the Vikings defense has turned over considerably, any opponent with an offense run by Mike Martz ought to scare the guys in purple. The Lions aren't nearly as dangerous as those St. Louis teams Martz guided from 1999-2005, the first year as offensive coordinator and the last six as head coach. Martz, fired by the Rams after last season, is Detroit's offensive coordinator now.

"You see where they're going. You see that it's going to be very similar in a lot of ways to some of the things that they were able to do in St. Louis," Minnesota defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin said. "Roy Williams is Torry Holt, if you will, in terms of the structure of the offense. It's an explosive offense, and they're putting their pieces in place to be effective."

Defensive tackle Kevin Williams and linebacker E.J. Henderson are the only players left from the 2003 Vikings team, which lost to the Rams 48-17 during the regular season.

---

QUICK HITS: Four more players, in addition to Wiggins, remained questionable on Thursday's injury report: quarterback Tarvaris Jackson (knee), linebacker Ben Leber (knee), safety Darren Sharper (thigh) and cornerback Antoine Winfield (thigh). Winfield and Jackson were the only ones who missed some practice time. ... Kicker Ryan Longwell, who was home Wednesday with strep throat, said he was feeling "much better" and is a virtual certainty to play against the Lions. ... Childress showed his personal side when he opened Wednesday's media briefing, reminding reporters that singer Janis Joplin had died 36 years ago on that day. "I was a freshman in high school, and she was one of my favorites," Childress said, joking: "Any of you guys alive in 1970? Anybody know who Janis Joplin is?" ... With tackle Donald Penn's signing with Tampa Bay, the Vikings added guard Jimmy Martin - who played at Virginia Tech - to their practice squad.

BigMoInAZ is offline Pro-Bowler

Yeah, I'm waiting to see this new fangled WCO take hold!
    Its a shame that after one month of play they still can't seem to find the right buttons to push!

Anyone overlooking the obvious that these are professionals paid well to perform and play tackle football at the highest level of "COMPETENCE" still look lost and confused well into the new season!
    It does not take "3-4 Years" for OL or for an offense to find itself!
    If that were the case, most teams would find it hard to "jell" on the field of battle.

Not using or finding your open receivers used to be the biggest complaint out of all the Daunte Haters, now all I hear are excuses being made for poor coaching or dropped passes, etc, etc..
    WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP!

If the Vikings can't score more than 20 offensive points at home against the Lions then my friends, you can look forward to a long and tedious, monotonous & boring, first year for the new look Vikings! :

Lo there, do I see the line of my People...Back to the Beginning.
    Lo do They call to me...They bid me take my Place among Them...in the Halls of VALHALLA where t

One problem, of course, has been a consistently strong pass rush on Johnson, who has been sacked seven times. Penalties, turnovers and a team average of 3.6 yards per carry aren't helping Minnesota find an offensive flow, either.
    Once the Vikings correct those issues, I think our passing game will be just fine.

I'm thinking you may see Brad start rolling out more often to avoid the pressure. At least that's what I hope they will do. Sometimes it appears he stays in the pocket way to long.

If he rolls out of the pocket: no intentional grounding penalties.

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    Once the Vikings correct those issues, I think our passing game will be just fine.

I'm thinking you may see Brad start rolling out more often to avoid the pressure. At least that's what I hope they will do. Sometimes it appears he stays in the pocket way to long.

I think Johnsons calmness in the pocket has been an asset so far. Even though he has taken some hits, he has stayed calm, and completed passes under pressure. He has also escaped more than one sack by stepping up in the pocket, and finding room and time by moving forward in the pocket instead of rolling out.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"cogitans" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

I think Johnsons calmness in the pocket has been an asset so far. Even though he has taken some hits, he has stayed calm, and completed passes under pressure. He has also escaped more than one sack by stepping up in the pocket, and finding room and time by moving forward in the pocket instead of rolling out.
    I like how Johnson, stays cool and collected, but I would definetly like to see moe accurate deep balls and an overall less conservative approach if we are going to pass as much as we did vs. Buffalo in the future.

Also, our offense has absolutely no rhythm, and I think the QB controls that, whether it be slow or fast, I really want to see a tempo emerge from how we run our plays.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

"V-Unit" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

I like how Johnson, stays cool and collected, but I would definetly like to see moe accurate deep balls and an overall less conservative approach if we are going to pass as much as we did vs. Buffalo in the future.

Also, our offense has absolutely no rhythm, and I think the QB controls that, whether it be slow or fast, I really want to see a tempo emerge from how we run our plays.
    We had rythym on the 1st drive, the TD drive & the last drive last week against the Bills.

All they need to do is get rythym going on everything else.

Is the hurry up offense the answer or will it lead to more penalties?

petrodemos is offline Asst. Coach

BigMoinAZ, you are correct! ive been asking the last 4 weeks now, what part of the infamous West Coast Offense are we playing? its an I back formation during the run plays, and then 3rd and short we throw a 20yard pass. theres been little to no slants, quick posts, 5yd outs (which you would want to do if theres a RUSH on your QB like the last couple weeks) and the TE question proves my point, CHILDRESS IS NOT RUNNING A WCO! and is probably the reason Andy Reid took over play calling.

Brad Johnson cant get into a rythem because there is no chance for a rythem to develop with a QB in the offensive play calling. Run Run Bomb downfiled. if Brad could throw a slant here and there, short 5yd passes to his TE he could get into a rythem. the only short pass he throws is when a downfield receiver is not open and he dumps it to richardson or taylor (a good play by the way) but doesnt allow brad to get in a rythem. im by no means a coach or a QB but i see what i see.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Hurry up offense is not the answer.

We lost the Chicago game on a fluke fumble.
    We lost the Buffalo game because we didn't stick with the run.

The only thing that is lacking is the playcalling.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast