Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Kleinsasser Play Offensive Line

Vikings tight end Jim Kleinsasser is not just a good blocker, he's a great blocker!

[img size=500]http://nflvikings.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/webimages_1as1448.jpg[/img]

It's not like I usually watch him specifically on many plays, but when I watch him he almost always makes a good block. Kleinsasser has excellent technique and smarts, and it shows after so many seasons under his belt. He is also very strong and has a very big build for a tight end, looking rather more as a lineman.

Kleinsasser's the exact opposite of what is considered the "hot commonodity".
    Today, the tight ends should look like over-sized wide receivers with a long lanky build who runs the 40 in 4.5 and can catch the ball as good as the best wide receivers (Owen Daniels, Vernon Gholston, Greg Olson, etc.).

On the other end of that scale, you have Jim, but let it not be a bad thing!
    Jim's old school. He doesn't get the fame and glory for catching touchdowns. Instead, he likes to get down and dirty and dominate defensive players who try to get past him. Kleinsasser is also very durable and I don't think he has missed a game in half a decade. He's blue-collar. He's bad ass. And he's got the heart of a Viking.

I know that this will probably sound stupid and I will probably get some remarks. I've said this once before, but I honestly think Jim can replace one of our offensive linemen and do BETTER than them if he gets the chance.

Hey and guess what!? After some search it turns out that I'm actually not the only one with this opinion. In fact, a former teammate of Kleinsasser says exactly the same.

Artis Hicks "That guy is a tackle to me"

"You know what? He's a tackle already," said Hicks, who is the Vikings top backup at both tackle and guard positions. "I mean watch him out there on the edge when he's blocking. You can leave him one-on-one with defensive ends in pass protection. He does a great job of sealing the edge off, getting guys hooked on the outside. So in my opinion he's listed as a tight end but he's a tackle. He's big enough [6-3, 272 pounds]. He's probably bigger than some tackles in the league."
    So what do you guys and gals think? Can Kleinsasser maybe play as a tackle, guard or center... or is it totally ludicrous to even think so?

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Kleinsasser Play Offensive Line

What is Sauce, 6'3"/6'4" - 280ish? My guess is he is carring as much weight as he can or the staff would do exactly what your proposing.

They would have him add weight and move him to a OL spot. I know Sauce would love it cause the pay increase would be pretty nice.

Can he? Has the skills, has the heart, just (unfortunately) doesn't have the body IMHO.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Just because he doesn't have a significant belly doesn't mean he can't be a lineman. So what if he lacks 20-something pounds? I think it's a little narrow minded to say that a guy needs to for example be 300+ pounds to play lineman in today's NFL (which seems to be the case).

Heavy does not always equal good. Make a guy like Loadholt lose 20 pounds for instance and he might have a lesser problem with speed rushers.

I think Kleinsasser has a pretty good muscles-to-fat ration compared to a player like e.g. Vikings starting center John Sullivan who looks very soft in comparison. So lets say we make Kliensasser add a "20 pound belly". Is he a true NFL lineman then? Cause I see a lot of lineman with big bellies.

I'm just saying... and I think it's pretty significant to hear it from an actual professional at the very same position.

delviking is offline Starter

even at his current weight he'd already shown he can take on DE one on one and most likely would be better than our former or current LT lol

i mean hes 20 lbs lighter than Johnson and he could probably handle Allen better than Johnson has in camp.

Id say Kleinsasser is probably technique wise better than half our O-line only person better would probabaly be Hutch.

and i dont count center since Klein would have to learn to much to be effective but plying wise probably better than Sully at this point

Loadholt if he improves might be over Klein was well but only if he improves from last year, though he does look trim for a 340+ guy not much of the belly that we came to see from Mckinne

Johnson14 is offline Hall of Famer

No, not for me. Sauce can keep doing what he is doing.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I like the idea of using him as a battering ram at fullback personally but if he were to be a lineman I am sure he could do a better job than Sully at center.

Quote Originally Posted by "delviking" #1104518
    even at his current weight he'd already shown he can take on DE one on one and most likely would be better than our former or current LT lol

i mean hes 20 lbs lighter than Johnson and he could probably handle Allen better than Johnson has in camp.

Id say Kleinsasser is probably technique wise better than half our O-line only person better would probabaly be Hutch.

and i dont count center since Klein would have to learn to much to be effective but plying wise probably better than Sully at this point

Loadholt if he improves might be over Klein was well but only if he improves from last year, though he does look trim for a 340+ guy not much of the belly that we came to see from Mckinne
    Good stuff Del........Name fits with posts like that.

Anyways, do you think that he could make it through the season at T at the weight he has right now though? Center would worry me as well based on the shift away from ZB'ng were the Center gets alot of initial help off the snap before the G disengages for the next level.

It would be interesting to watch if they could make a small adjustment and have the G hold with the C (lighter/faster) disengaging first and going after the LB'r.

Anyway, I digress. Our good friend Bleed will read that and think I'm changing the scheme or something.

I think he is best served being used as a TE and what looks to be back at FB at times so that he can be moved based on what the defense shows pre-snap.

Again, good stuff.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1104539
    I like the idea of using him as a battering ram at fullback personally but if he were to be a lineman I am sure he could do a better job than Sully at center.
    LOL,

During the replay I saw the ole 40 running around and I thought they were showing old replays or something.

Wound up being that I completely missed charting him at FB the first couple of times he was there.

Even yutz fans are rusty in the beginining of the season.

Johnson14 is offline Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1104650
    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1104539
    LOL,

During the replay I saw the ole 40 running around and I thought they were showing old replays or something.

Wound up being that I completely missed charting him at FB the first couple of times he was there.

Even yutz fans are rusty in the beginining of the season.
    That's what the pre-season is for Marr

delviking is offline Starter

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1104648
    Quote Originally Posted by "delviking" #1104518

Good stuff Del........Name fits with posts like that.

Anyways, do you think that he could make it through the season at T at the weight he has right now though? Center would worry me as well based on the shift away from ZB'ng were the Center gets alot of initial help off the snap before the G disengages for the next level.

It would be interesting to watch if they could make a small adjustment and have the G hold with the C (lighter/faster) disengaging first and going after the LB'r.

Anyway, I digress. Our good friend Bleed will read that and think I'm changing the scheme or something.

I think he is best served being used as a TE and what looks to be back at FB at times so that he can be moved based on what the defense shows pre-snap.

Again, good stuff.
    he would probably need more spelling during games than youd like from a O-line man but i think he could hold up. I agree i personally prefer him out at TE or FB.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast