Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    brbitker is offline Rookie

Kleinsasser may be released?

I put the paragraph about Jimmy in bold.

On Your Mark, Get Set...

By Viking Update Staff

Date: Feb 20, 2006

Despite rumors that the March 3 opening of free agency could be delayed, the NFL has quashed those stories by saying the free agent sweepstakes will get underway in 10 days.

There are a lot of nervous types around the NFL that see the next few months as critical to the future of the league. With no new collective bargaining agreement in place, unless the owners and players can work out a new CBA or at least get some form of an extension done, there will be no salary cap in 2007 -- meaning that if a team wants to "pull a Steinbrenner" and spend millions more than the competition, they may be able to do it.

It was that concern that had league sources rumbling that there might be a delay to the start of free agency -- set to begin a week from Friday.

In an effort to settle down those rumors, the league announced over the weekend that free agency will begin as planned March 3 whether a new CBA is in place or not.

For teams like the Vikings that have a lot of money to spend, this is seen as good news -- since there will be nothing to stop them from spending as much as they want to improve their talent base. For other teams in worse cap situations, they will need to start paring salary to get to the salary cap and placing franchise tags on those players they're fearful will leave without proper compensation.

While there is still very good reasoning to believe that the NFL is facing a crisis situation if a new CBA can't be worked out in the next round of owners meetings and behind-the-scenes discussions with the players association, for now anyway it means continuing business as usual -- which will include the shotgun start to free agency at midnight Eastern time a week from Friday.

MONDAY NOTES
    * There is a chance that the Vikings may release Jim Kleinsasser if he doesn't re-work his contract. The Vikings franchised Kleinsasser two years ago when it was feared that Joe Gibbs was going to snap him up, but under the new coaching philosophy of the West Coast Offense, Kleinsasser may not be the best fit -- making him potentially expendable.
    * The top college talent is currently preparing to take off for Indianapolis at the annual scouting combine, which begins this Thursday. VU will be in attendance and will have daily updates as to whose stock is rising and whose is falling.
    * If guilt by association means anything, fans are likely to be skeptical of the return of Onterrio Smith. The Vikings had been rumored as one of the teams that the Dolphins were potentially going to try to use as a suitor for Ricky Williams, but reports Sunday that Williams has once again failed a league-mandated drug test and faces a one-year suspension has thrown those not only off the front burner, but completely off the stove. There's been no word from the Vikings (big surprise) about the future of Onterrio Smith with the team, but every time one of these reports surfaces, it makes those of us that don't do drugs question the power it can have over others. If smoking pot means more to a player than makings hundreds of thousands of dollars a year playing football, that is one powerful addiction.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Kleinsasser may be released?

I definetly don't want to see sauce go, but why not just trade him if anything?
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Nooooooo! I love the sauce! I think he would really like to stay in minnesota, considering he grew up here and went to school at UND in Grand Forks.

I would hate to see him go, but he needs to do what is best for him.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

That would really suck .... I personally would much rather keep Sauce and let Wiggy go ... that's just my opion. Kleiny is a MUCH better all around talent at TE as he can block also. Tice and his half backed "O" just handcuffed him way to much at that damn half back postion ....

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

It is unfortunate, I think the real problem is the money. He is going to get paid a lot for not doing too much. He has been overpaid IMHO. I like him, just been overpaid. He can lay some wood on guys that is for sure.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"mnjamie" wrote:
    That would really suck .... I personally would much rather keep Sauce and let Wiggy go ... that's just my opion. Kleiny is a MUCH better all around talent at TE as he can block also. Tice and his half backed "O" just handcuffed him way to much at that gol 'darnit half back postion ....
    Wiggins is the better of the two at catching the ball. There is no doubt in my mind.

And Klieny is a better blocker without question.

That is why I can see them going for someone that can do both well. I don't predict that Wiggy gets his contract renewed when it is up either.

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

He was a solid player...but got old. Plus Wiggins rocks right now.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

LuckyVike is offline Team Alumni

We as Vikings fans have out TE's held in too high of regard. I want a TE with the abilities of Antonio Gates, Tony Gonzalez, or Todd Heap...
    The best part of my day is when I get down on my knees, with my head in my hands, and thank GOD for everything he has given me.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

It may be time to let Sauce go. He is a excellent blocking TE, but he has slowed down alot since the injury. Wiggins will either be trade bait, or just flat out released sooner than later. With this new WCO, the best TE to fit that will probably be Angualo. He is big, has great hands, and very young. He is alot like Tony Gonzalez.

It is a hard call here. We all like Wiggins, and Kleinsasser so it will be a sad day when the time comes when we no longer have either one on the team. Signing Goodspeed, I believe spelled the end for Sauce..

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Once again pure speculation by the press.

If we were tight on cap space, there could be a remote chance it could happen.

But that is just not the case. Besides, a trade would be more likely.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast