Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

KFAN:Predicting the 53 man roster

http://www2.kfan.com/content/vikings/notebook/story.aspx?content_id=78b772b4-97f9-453f-81e4-9ccafb677a54

Most of it I would agree with.

Interesting choices with the secondary IMHO. He sees Tank and Whitaker as the odd men out. I have to agree Never been real high on whitaker or Tank beacuse of the constant injury bug.

Cornerbacks

- Antoine Winfield

- Cedric Griffin

- Marcus McCauley

- Dovonte Edwards

- Charles Gordon

Borderline: Ronyell Whitaker (injuries have not helped his cause)

Ronyell Whitaker missed a large chunk of training camp with a sprained ankle, and he is likely the odd man out. Marcus McCauley has played his way into the nickel back position, and Dovonte Edwards and Charles Gordon made enough plays during training camp to show they deserve looks as well.

Safeties

- Darren Sharper

- Dwight Smith

- Mike Doss

- Greg Blue

Borderline: Tank Williams

This is the most difficult position to predict. The Vikings are not likely to keep five safeties, which means somebody will be cut. Mike Doss and Tank Williams have practiced with the second team defense throughout the summer, while Blue has paired with Patrick Body on the third team defense. However, nobody from this group has done anything to suggest they don’t deserve a roster spot. But Blue is young, talented and cheap, and his style is very similar to Tank’s. If the Vikings keep Blue, it will likely be at the expense of Tank.

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni

Re: KFAN:Predicting the 53 man roster

I think Tank has a tough time making the roster, and I dispise Whitaker

mutleyil is offline Waterboy

I would be baffled if Ronyell made the team this year.
    He is absolutely terrible.
    Go back and look at last year's tapes.
    Who got burned on the Darrell Jackson/Donald Driver/Reche Caldwell receptions?

We have way more depth in secondary this year...no way Whitaker makes this team.

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

Safeties

- Darren Sharper

- Dwight Smith

- Mike Doss

- Greg Blue

Borderline: Tank Williams
    that is a tuff one.. i can see blue in that mix.. and everyone was soooo hyped that Tank was on the team.. now it's like.. hmm well..
    4 saftey's is prolly the max.. maybe u keep 1 on the special teams just incase (most likely it would be Blue)?

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Some tough choices as to who stays and who goes. We are gonna lose some good football players as they won't clear the waiver wire, to be placed on our practice squad. Tank Williams, Ciatric Fason, Jason Carter, Todd Lowber, K. Smith, J Mitchell, wow these guys had a great camp, and are likely on some other teams radar. Best of luck to them.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Garland" wrote:
    http://www2.kfan.com/content/vikings/notebook/story.aspx?content_id=78b772b4-97f9-453f-81e4-9ccafb677a54

Interesting choices with the secondary IMHO. He sees Tank and Whitaker as the odd men out. I have to agree Never been real high on whitaker or Tank beacuse of the constant injury bug.
    I think that's about right, to be honest, barring injuries.
    I'd like to see Lowber, Chandler Williams and Justin Surrency (and Jayme Mitchell, if they can do it, but I doubt he'll end up not getting signed by someone else) on the practice squad.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:

I'd like to see Lowber, Chandler Williams and Justin Surrency (and Jayme Mitchell, if they can do it, but I doubt he'll end up not getting signed by someone else) on the practice squad.

=Z=
    Would keeping 6 DEs be to much?

I envisioned Mitchell as the 6th guy and then just going with Shank-O and Sauce at TE, with Dugan filling in at that position too.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"cogitans" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:

I envisioned Mitchell as the 6th guy and then just going with Shank-O and Sauce at TE, with Dugan filling in at that position too.
    Dugan's a full-time FB now - I don't think he's taking any reps at TE.
    That last spot is always the tricky one, ain't it?

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

"Zeus" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:

Dugan's a full-time FB now - I don't think he's taking any reps at TE.
    That last spot is always the tricky one, ain't it?

=Z=
    I think they still put him up there on occasions. Sometimes as a guy in motion. Heck I even saw Tony R. lining up close to the end of the line against the Jets. Anyway as long as they are healthy we can do with only Shank-O and Sauce, so it's a secondary option for the coaches.

I have also played with the thought of 5 safeties with that last spot I'm trying to find, after Childress mentioned the possibility of that.

Finally you know I worry a little about us only keeping 6 LBs, but then we don't have any reliable options for a 7th guy there.

Another way of creating the spot could be by keeping only the Williams brothers and Spencer Johnson. As they have had Scott taking reps in there as a passrushing DT in special situations. However since they keep addressing that spot (Green, Evans and maybe even Simon) I don't see it as the 1st option.

Of course there is also the possibility of only 5 WRs, but I would think they want to keep 6 of those.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

did i miss something on my travels..

why is JCarter not mentioned anywhere?

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast