Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Del Rio Guest

Re: KFAN Notebook - includes the line up as of now

"singersp" wrote:
    Tarvaris Jackson struggled with his accuracy again today, but coach Childress seemed happy with his progress.

"He's looking in the right spots, and he's making most of the throws," said Childress.
    That troubles me some. From the articles I've read, I thought T-Jack was an accurate passer.
    He was an accurate passer in Division II college football.

damien927 is offline Asst. Coach

"oddmanout22287" wrote:
    Anyone else surprised Tank is getting most of the first team snaps over Smith? I know it's only the first week of camp, but it's still a little odd to me that Smith was heralded as the new starter and isn't taking most of the snaps.
    I read somewhere, sorry I don't remember where, that dwight Smith looks like he may be playing a dual role as possibly the nickel back and back-saftey... SInce he is a smaller quick guy, he may be just as fast as our back-up CB's and is a great insurance policy at safety.

Thanks Lotza!

oddmanout22287 is offline Pro-Bowler

"damien927" wrote:
    "oddmanout22287" wrote:
    Anyone else surprised Tank is getting most of the first team snaps over Smith? I know it's only the first week of camp, but it's still a little odd to me that Smith was heralded as the new starter and isn't taking most of the snaps.
    I read somewhere, sorry I don't remember where, that dwight Smith looks like he may be playing a dual role as possibly the nickel back and back-saftey... SInce he is a smaller quick guy, he may be just as fast as our back-up CB's and is a great insurance policy at safety.
    I remember reading that as well. There's been articles placing him at pretty much every position in the secondary, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see...
    PM me if you'd like a sig.

damien927 is offline Asst. Coach

"oddmanout22287" wrote:
    "damien927" wrote:
    "oddmanout22287" wrote:
    I remember reading that as well. There's been articles placing him at pretty much every position in the secondary, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see...
    Yeah, I like it though..... it is nice to have a guy or 2 (Fox?0 that can play either position in case of injury. It gives us flexibility to not have to pick up some scrub off a practice squad and play him cause we had some bad injuries.

Thanks Lotza!

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"oddmanout22287" wrote:

There was an article after Smith signed that said there is no guarantees that he will start and that all he was promised is to be able to compete against Tank for the starting job at SS.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

PAvikesfan is offline Star Spokesman

that starting oline is sick!

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"Del Rio" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    Tarvaris Jackson struggled with his accuracy again today, but coach Childress seemed happy with his progress.

"He's looking in the right spots, and he's making most of the throws," said Childress.
    That troubles me some. From the articles I've read, I thought T-Jack was an accurate passer.
    At this point in time he has so much on his plate it would be exceptional for him to be accurate. I'm encouraged by the statement " He's looking in the right spots ". That means he's learning the system.
    The timing and accuracy should come with practice. The time a receiver is open in the NFL is very short. Sometimes it's too late to throw the ball when you see him come open.
    So he needs a lot of practice and reps to work with his receivers.
    Childress is displaying patience. I think we will need patience as well.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

"singersp" wrote:

This will come over time! Sometimes when a player is learning a new system, they forget the basic things. It's not a concern to me right now. If he's making most of the throws, and the coach is happy, that seems to make me happy!

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"SharperVikings" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

This will come over time! Sometimes when a player is learning a new system, they forget the basic things. It's not a concern to me right now. If he's making most of the throws, and the coach is happy, that seems to make me happy!
    He's rookie, it's sort of expected a little bit.

Del Rio Guest

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

At this point in time he has so much on his plate it would be exceptional for him to be accurate. I'm encouraged by the statement " He's looking in the right spots ". That means he's learning the system.
    The timing and accuracy should come with practice. The time a receiver is open in the NFL is very short. Sometimes it's too late to throw the ball when you see him come open.
    So he needs a lot of practice and reps to work with his receivers.
    Childress is displaying patience. I think we will need patience as well.
    Most coaches give a little sugar with their vinegar.

Your not going to say to the media..."Well at the end of the day the kid sucks."

The point of my statement was: He was accurate when he played with 2nd rank college players. It doesn't mean he will be accurate in the NFL. His future is blank and we won't know what kind of player he is until he actually plays.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast