Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

KFAN Notebook - includes the line up as of now

Notebook

Sunday notes, first full team practice

The big news today is that DT Pat Williams failed to make the weight the coaching staff set for him, and they put him on the active PUP(physically unable to perform) list. Williams by rule will not be able to participate in any team activities for the next few days.

"I want to make sure he's not a harm to himself. He did a great job conditioning in the spring time and that weight was headed down," said coach Childress. "While it's right in the vicinity it was in the spring time, I just want to make sure that he takes care of his business from a cardio standpoint with this heat and that weight."

One injury note, DT Manase Hopoi was sent for an MRI on his foot. He had swelling this afternoon and did not practice today.

Coach Childress also made a point of letting everyone know just how many players on average teams had in camp around the league. Yesterday he seemed a bit testy when asked about the number of WRs in camp this year. Today he brought the exact figures for all positions and read them all aloud to the media members gathered at the tent.

-Adam Goldberg worked with the OT's today, and it looks like they will be using him there with all the additions to the interior of the offensive line.

"It's nice man, I feel comfortable with pretty much any position on the offensive line, so it's a nice opportunity to showcase my versatility," said Goldberg. "Hopefully they'll breathe easier knowing they have some game tested depth, and we'll see how it goes from there."

-While the interior starters seem set, I noticed that Anthony Herrera, Jason Whittle and Chris Liewinski spent most of the day as the primary back ups inside.

-Coach Childress did stress that not too much should be read into the personnel groups that worked during 7 on 7 and full team drills, but I know you want to know who lined up where so here it is:

Offense: Koren Robinson and Troy Williamson took most of the snaps as the top two receivers. They were followed by Billy McMullen and Travis Taylor, Marcus Robinson and Kevin Kasper, Aaron Hosack and Dez White and the rest mixed in together with the 2nd and 3rd string reps.

Jermaine Wiggins and Jim Kleinsasser took the bulk of the snaps at TE with the first team, but Richard Angulo also saw time with the first team and was praised by coach Childress on a few occasions after making nice catches.

Offensive line was Bryant McKinnie, Steve Hutchinson, Matt Birk, Artis Hicks and Marcus Johnson as expected.

Brad Johnson is still the starter, and he looked very sharp for day one. You can tell he knows the offense as his throws were right on time. If they can keep him upright, he'll be good.

Defense: Defensive line went Kenechi Udeze, Kevin Williams, Ross Kolodziej filling in for Pat Williams, and Erasmus James.

Darren Sharper and Tank Williams started at safety.

Ben Leber, Napoleon Harris and E.J. Henderson started the day at linebacker. Don't worry, coach said not to read too much in...

And of course Fred Smoot and Antoine Winfield were at corner.

As a side note, the second team LBs were Chad Greenway, Dontarrious Thomas and Rod Smith.

-Dustin Fox continued his physical play, again knocking down Jason Carter during full team workouts.

-Back to the offense, Carter just continues to make plays. He made several tough catches again today that got a rise out of the sparse crowd on hand. It's too bad the numbers game at WR will most likely push him out, this guy can flat play despite his size.

-CB Devonte Edwards looked very good today, making a sensational diving pass breakup on a ball thrown by Johnson.

-In fact the entire defense seems to have really taken to the new defense as they seemed very fast to the ball. Defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin praised them several times for being in the right spot and making the right reads. This unit could be very good.

- Tarvaris Jackson struggled with his accuracy again today, but coach Childress seemed happy with his progress.

"He's looking in the right spots, and he's making most of the throws," said Childress.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: KFAN Notebook - includes the line up as of now

Tarvaris Jackson struggled with his accuracy again today, but coach Childress seemed happy with his progress.

"He's looking in the right spots, and he's making most of the throws," said Childress.
    That troubles me some. From the articles I've read, I thought T-Jack was an accurate passer.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Warp is offline Asst. Coach

Good post and good read. I do hope that greenway gets to start on week 1. But i guess he has to prove himself which wont be to hard im thinking with our LB corps :lol:

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

I like the notes regarding Dustin Fox and Devonte Edwards. If those 2 can play well it gives us EVEN MORE depth in the secondary.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    Tarvaris Jackson struggled with his accuracy again today, but coach Childress seemed happy with his progress.

That troubles me some. From the articles I've read, I thought T-Jack was an accurate passer.
    He senior year he was over 60% completions had 29 TD's and only 5 INT's and Favre throw that many yesterday in GB's training camp.

I think it probably is a case of the 1st training camp jitters.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

ChiTownVike is offline Hall of Famer

I really hope that Greenway is our starting LB at week 1. I don't think that he needs that much time to develop like QB's do. I also LOVE to see that Williamson and K-Rob will be the starting WR's

Good Post!

Thank you Josdin for the sig

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"cogitans" wrote:

-In fact the entire defense seems to have really taken to the new defense as they seemed very fast to the ball. Defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin praised them several times for being in the right spot and making the right reads. This unit could be very good.
    Well that is certainly nice to hear... Excellent read. Thank you! :grin:

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

"singersp" wrote:

Just like Childress said, dont read into to much.T-Jack is a rookie and I expected him to struggle in certain areas.However we happen to have a QB Developing god on our team, bye the name of Childress.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

JellyBean2144 is offline Pro-Bowler

"singersp" wrote:

I am not worried, it takes a few reps to get into the flow if things. I am pretty sure that the speed of the defenders at the pro level is different than the college level. So, TJ will just have to adjust his throws and relax a bit. Don't read too much into; relax and chill, homie.

oddmanout22287 is offline Pro-Bowler

Anyone else surprised Tank is getting most of the first team snaps over Smith? I know it's only the first week of camp, but it's still a little odd to me that Smith was heralded as the new starter and isn't taking most of the snaps.
    PM me if you'd like a sig.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast