Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Vikings seat license fees prove too costly for some fans

Vikings seat license fees prove too costly for some fans | kare11.com
    Yes, there will be some fans in situations like this... I don't think it is going to be a typical scenario though. I had to laugh when she said that she pictured a stadium filled with suits - that is a bit melodramatic.

This piece doesn't state the obvious though - with their seniority, they can almost certainly move back into a lower price range where the SBL fee won't be as much of an issue for them.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Seriously- The state and the team made the projections for the lottery too and guess what- they were wrong. Do you understand the difference between projections and reality? You also don't know how how these studies are conducted. Were they phrased " Your ticket prices are going to go up and if you are a family of 4 you will have to shell out an average of 10K just for the right to buy tickets added to the increased ticket prices"? If not then they were worthless.
    Actually there were phrased very similar to that. I do know because I was able to take part in more than one of them.

A typical question showed a map of a stadium identified by sections, and then asked "What would you be willing to pay for season tickets in Section A, Section B, etc... There were about 10 different sections, ranging from lower level sidelines to mezzanine, to upper level. There were also questions relating to suites and box seats.

If you were not willing or able to purchase seats in the price options they displayed, you could indicate that as well.

Then there were questions related to the PSLs (as they were called in the survey). Similarly worded - What one time PSL fee would you be willing to pay for a seat in section A, section B, etc...

They also collected data about how many seats you have, how long you have been an owner, etc.

It wasn't a revenue projection study like the lottery you referenced, it was a market study.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Yes, there will be some fans in situations like this... I don't think it is going to be a typical scenario though. I had to laugh when she said that she pictured a stadium filled with suits - that is a bit melodramatic.

This piece doesn't state the obvious though - with their seniority, they can almost certainly move back into a lower price range where the SBL fee won't be as much of an issue for them.
    A bit melodramatic although it does hold merit that the new stadium will be geared more for the "upper crust".

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    OK, Lets just take your position for a moment and think this through.

We already know how many seats the Dome has. We know it is paid for and we know that it has been losing money for at least 20 years now unless you use depreciation to offset the losses.

We know the new stadium will hold the same number of fans as the dome, will have an additional Billion dollars in expenses, where is the money coming from to pay for it?
    Fair questions.

First, the dome hasn't been losing money for the state for 20 years - the MSFA (formerly MSFC) has always been profitable, even after paying off the original price of the dome. It has been losing money for the Vikings.

The new stadium does have the same number of revenue sharing seats. But revenue sharing seats are exactly that - revenue sharing - and the profit gets spread out across 31 other teams. That is another reason why your argument that they are going to jack up seat prices just doesn't hold water. A 30% increase in ticket prices would only increase revenue for the Vikings by 1%. And increasing them that much would price them too high for the market, and they wouldn't sell.

The real money for the Vikings comes from non-revenue sharing seats, such as suites and boxes, and from one time fees like SBLs. The new stadium is going to have a much larger number of suites, with much more variety. Right now in the dome you are pretty limited to suite choices - 24, 32, 48, or 64 guests. There is a complete lack of small suites and sky boxes. The new stadium will have several different box seat options and suite options, and the revenue from them is not shared among teams.

So to your second question - where will the money to pay off the Billion dollars in expenses come from. Well the Vikings are on the hook for $477 million, with the state covering $348 million, and $150 million covered by a hospitality tax in Minneapolis.

The $150 million from Minneapolis is covered by the existing hospitality tax. The state has to pull its head out of its ass to figure out a real plan for paying for its share. And the Vikings have to pay for $477 million.

Out of that $477, $125 will come from SBLs. $150 million will come from a loan from the NFL, which I do not know the repayment details for, and another $50 million will come from a grant from the NFL. The Wilfs are putting in a little over $150 of their own money in as well.

Also, since I know that operating costs are an issue for you, the Vikings have agreed to pay about $10 million in rent, going up 3 percent every year to cover inflation. The roughly $1 million-per-game rent will cover about 70 percent of the annual operating costs for the entire stadium. This $10 million comes primarily from the non revenue sharing seats.
    Last edited by NodakPaul; 10-07-2013 at 08:15 AM.
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    A bit melodramatic although it does hold merit that the new stadium will be geared more for the "upper crust".
    Possibly. The premium seats certainly will be. I think the upper levels will still be reasonable, especially for single game tickets.
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    The Vikings fans who have been there through thick and thin, but are very blue collar will NOT be able to fork over the $5-20k to keep the great seats they acquired over time. In essence, this plan clears out "the riff-raff" and allows those with a lot of disposable income to have their choice of seats, with everyone else coming in the pick over the left overs after the SBLs have hit the max.

BTW, The Raiders, when they pulled this with their season ticket holders of the past when they came back to Oakland, did NOT sell all the licences. Davis actually considered suing Oakland for breech of contract for not getting all the promised revenue the City of Oakland's studies said he would. It was a HUGE topic of anger and frustration on KNBR for weeks after the move, if not months. All the first season's home games were blacked out due to non-sellouts.

Some one PLEASE try to say the Raiders fans are not as devoted to their team as the Vikings. Those guys are rabid when it comes to the "Black Hole".
    Last edited by drewlovs; 10-07-2013 at 03:22 PM.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by drewlovs View Post
    The Vikings fans who have been there through thick and thin, but are very blue collar will NOT be able to fork over the $5-20k to keep the great seats they acquired over time. In essence, this plan clears out "the riff-raff" and allows those with a lot of disposable income to have their choice of seats, with everyone else coming in the pick over the left overs after the SBLs have hit the max.

BTW, The Raiders, when they pulled this with their season ticket holders of the past when they came back to Oakland, did NOT sell all the licences. Davis actually considered suing Oakland for breech of contract for not getting all the promised revenue the City of Oakland's studies said he would. It was a HUGE topic of anger and frustration on KNBR for weeks after the move, if not months. All the first season's home games were blacked out due to non-sellouts.

Some one PLEASE try to say the Raiders fans are not as devoted to their team as the Vikings. Those guys are rabid when it comes to the "Black Hole".
    I'm your huckleberry. According to this study, they are dead last at 32nd.

Study ranks the most loyal NFL fan bases with in-depth analytics - FanSided - Sports News, Entertainment, Lifestyle & Technology - 240+ Sites

The Vikings came in at 18th. Rabid fans don't equal loyal.

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni
    Ok...riddle me this Batman. If they cap the licensing fee, I will likely never get my licensing fee back, as eventually you will be able to buy season tickets without paying the fee. Where is my investment protection? Or am I missing something?

LIVike is offline Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by NDVikingFan66 View Post
    Ok...riddle me this Batman. If they cap the licensing fee, I will likely never get my licensing fee back, as eventually you will be able to buy season tickets without paying the fee. Where is my investment protection? Or am I missing something?
    Thats what I am trying to figure out. What is stopping me from switching to seats with no PSL (Assuming I have tickets after this year) and then switching back to "better" seats when the cap hits.

Another stupid question, is this starting next year at TCF or when the stadium opens because paying a PSL for TCF would be stupid as hell.
    None

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Fair questions.

First, the dome hasn't been losing money for the state for 20 years - the MSFA (formerly MSFC) has always been profitable, even after paying off the original price of the dome. It has been losing money for the Vikings.
    Apparently you missed the multiple yearly statements that I printed from the MSFC that show with the exception of one year where they got a big payment for land sold to the MOA, that they have been operating in the red every single year. If you dispute this feel free to post the yearly P and l statements that back your claim.

The new stadium does have the same number of revenue sharing seats. But revenue sharing seats are exactly that - revenue sharing - and the profit gets spread out across 31 other teams. That is another reason why your argument that they are going to jack up seat prices just doesn't hold water. A 30% increase in ticket prices would only increase revenue for the Vikings by 1%. And increasing them that much would price them too high for the market, and they wouldn't sell.

The real money for the Vikings comes from non-revenue sharing seats, such as suites and boxes, and from one time fees like SBLs. The new stadium is going to have a much larger number of suites, with much more variety. Right now in the dome you are pretty limited to suite choices - 24, 32, 48, or 64 guests. There is a complete lack of small suites and sky boxes. The new stadium will have several different box seat options and suite options, and the revenue from them is not shared among teams.

So to your second question - where will the money to pay off the Billion dollars in expenses come from. Well the Vikings are on the hook for $477 million, with the state covering $348 million, and $150 million covered by a hospitality tax in Minneapolis.

The $150 million from Minneapolis is covered by the existing hospitality tax. The state has to pull its head out of its ass to figure out a real plan for paying for its share. And the Vikings have to pay for $477 million.

Out of that $477, $125 will come from SBLs. $150 million will come from a loan from the NFL, which I do not know the repayment details for, and another $50 million will come from a grant from the NFL. The Wilfs are putting in a little over $150 of their own money in as well.
    The detils are that they get to take the annual revenue sharing check and use that money to pay the league back so basically it is money they would have had to pay the league anyway so it is not even out of their pockets as you contend.

As to the state and it's head- the best way is to charge the fans whatever they need to to pay it off. Whether that means your tickets cost 175 dollars and not 50 then so be it.

Also, since I know that operating costs are an issue for you, the Vikings have agreed to pay about $10 million in rent, going up 3 percent every year to cover inflation. The roughly $1 million-per-game rent will cover about 70 percent of the annual operating costs for the entire stadium. This $10 million comes primarily from the non revenue sharing seats.
    so ho many extra suites and luxury boxes are being built and how much are they charging for them?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast