Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    Here is a guy for you to keep your eye on as a non football Spielman guy Lawrence Okoye

LINK

The guy has less football experience than Lesnar had, but I'd have to believe he could learn & play the game better than he did.

Has there been any NFL players that have come into the league who have never played football in college or high school that have become NFL stars? (Kickers excluded)

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Kevin Williams has not been getting penetration on his own. Too often, he get stood up at the line or blown off the ball.

Maybe he is getting old, or maybe the Vikings need a nose-tackle to clog up the center, but Williams is no longer in his prime, and the Vikings will need to look for replacement.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Has there been any NFL players that have come into the league who have never played football in college or high school that have become NFL stars? (Kickers excluded)
    Antonio Gates

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    Antonio Gates
    Gates did play HS ball though and there are another 4 players that did make it to the NFL without college playing time that I saw when I looked it up and Darren Bennett was the only one without other experience and he was a punter; Eric Swann, Vince Papale (the movie Invicible) and Ray Seals were the others but also played in high school

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Hopefully Sylvester Williams is available with one of those 1st rd picks. Not sure the Vikings will go WR with the other one now that every WR besides Austin is sliding on most media people's draft boards. Not that it says much, but thinking the Vikings can easily move up into the 2nd rd to get a WR if they like one. I am guessing T'eo and Sylvester with the two 1st rd picks. Although Sylvester may be gone by then.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    Here is a guy for you to keep your eye on as a non football Spielman guy Lawrence Okoye

Lawrence Okoye Setst Sights on NFL Career
    We should draft him in the seventh, Justin Hunter in the first or second, Margus Hunt in the second and Marquise Goodwin in the 5th-6th.

With Jerome Simpson and Brian Robison already on the team, I guarantee we never lose an intraleague track and field meet.

Edit: In all seriousness, I wouldn't mind taking a chance on Okoye with a 7th, even 6th round pick. I'm a huge track and field fan, so that might cloud my judgement, but his numbers don't lie.

The guy is seriously a freak. 6'6" 300lbs. Long arms. Ran sub 4.8. Super quick feet. Explosive leaping ability. Powerful.

An Olympic discus finalist at 20, 10 years younger than the average age of his competitors. His personal best throw would have placed second at the games.

He only started training for the discus in 2010. Before that he was a junior rugby union player, so he's not unfamiliar with contact.

All of these things tell me: 1) He likely has the toughness to play football. 2) He's a very quick learner - to be an Olympic finalist after only two years is amazing. 3) He's an athletic wonder. Unreal measurables.
    Last edited by Mr Anderson; 04-22-2013 at 02:01 PM.

tastywaves is online now Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Anderson View Post
    We should draft him in the seventh, Justin Hunter in the first or second, Margus Hunt in the second and Marquise Goodwin in the 5th-6th.

With Jerome Simpson and Brian Robison already on the team, I guarantee we never lose an intraleague track and field meet.

Edit: In all seriousness, I wouldn't mind taking a chance on Okoye with a 7th, even 6th round pick. I'm a huge track and field fan, so that might cloud my judgement, but his numbers don't lie.

The guy is seriously a freak. 6'6" 300lbs. Long arms. Ran sub 4.8. Super quick feet. Explosive leaping ability. Powerful.

An Olympic discus finalist at 20, 10 years younger than the average age of his competitors. His personal best throw would have placed second at the games.

He only started training for the discus in 2010. Before that he was a junior rugby union player, so he's not unfamiliar with contact.

All of these things tell me: 1) He likely has the toughness to play football. 2) He's a very quick learner - to be an Olympic finalist after only two years is amazing. 3) He's an athletic wonder. Unreal measurables.
    Bjoern Werner (German), Margus Hunt (Estonian, track and field guy) and Ezekial Ansah (Ghana) all came late to football and are among the top prospects in this year's draft. Ansah only became a starter in his senior year at BYU and that was after another guy was injured. DE puts a premium on athleticism. He ran a 4.56 at the combine and is Mayock's second rated DE and a top 10 overall talent.

Playing defensive end isn't extremely technical. If you're big, strong, quick and athletic, learning the position is probably not such a leap. A guy like Okoye would no doubt need a few years of development, but not necessarily a bad pick late in the draft.

Sounds like he has garnered quite a bit of interest from the article posted.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Don't forget, by re-negotiating his contract down to a one year contract, he is now trade-able.

As far as I'm concerned I liked the looks of Griff (RDE) Guion (3 Tech) Ballard (3 Tech) Rob (LDE) last year more than I did watching JA and K-dubb muddle through the season.

Hell, one time JA finally got a sack because the team elected to "NOT block" him. As to K-dubb, like it or not, he has been going down hill for the last 3 years. Its time to move Guion over to the 3 tech were he belongs and draft a true 1 tech to play next to him and rotate Griff, Ballard and company in to keep everyone fresh.

Lets see how JA plays this year now that he is "Healthy" again before I start the "Get rid of him" chant.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

tastywaves is online now Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    I doubt Allen, face of the franchise, is against getting more guaranteed money and a chance to finish his career in Minn.
    Here's your answer:

Jared Allen, Vikings haven’t “talked one iota” about his contract | ProFootballTalk

You use the word restructure and that to me makes it feel like they’d want me to take a pay cut. And if anybody asked me to take a pay cut, I’d be through the first door out of there. So no. We haven’t talked one iota. It is what it is,” Allen said, via Dan Wiederer of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune. “And we’re going to go about our business and play good ball and try to win a Super Bowl. And like I said the business stuff? We take care of that in the offseason. I have people to do that. That’s why I don’t get into it. You’re not going to hear it from me. I won’t complain. I go about my business.”

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Yep. He will be gone next year.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast