Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by marshallvike View Post
    We are now in a better position than we have been. The uncapped year F'd us as we did not lose any high priced free agents and were only allowed to spend what we lost as were the other 3 teams in the championship games the year prior. I seem to remember we were not sitting too pretty anyway that year under the cap. Last year we were near the bottom of the league in cap space when free agency hit limiting what we could do. Losing Pat, Shianc, Hutch has created some room. Brett and Bernard before them. There are probably a few I am forgetting. We did resign AD and Chad to some pretty big money, but we are going in the right direction in regards to the cap.
    OK, I see your point in that light, but I don't think we really had CAP issues, we were just limited by what we could or couldn't do based on our record the year before and the "Unsigned" agreement that was established by the owners (that Dallas and the Deadskins are being penalized for now).
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Good stuff my friend.

I think I asked you in another thread, who/what contracts are hurting us right now. Bryzcheapski, for all the stuff I've hacked on him for, did a good job of keeping us out of CAP hell.

I'm not so sure we see many FA's signed even going into next year. I think they will go ahead and keep doing the "Build through the draft" process like we were doing in 06 and 07, see how those guys work out and then, (like you said) plug holes with cats coming off their first contract.

Again, that was what was working in 06 and 07 and to some extent, 08.

I really hope that is the path they follow, as opposed to signing free agents to make us mediocre and screwing up the draft. I can take losing for a couple of years to build a stable team. I cannot take mediocrity for years on end.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    OK, I see your point in that light, but I don't think we really had CAP issues, we were just limited by what we could or couldn't do based on our record the year before and the "Unsigned" agreement that was established by the owners (that Dallas and the Deadskins are being penalized for now).
    Although I thought we were tight in cap room coming out of 2010 going into 201, what I forgot was that no-one was signing free agents because there was a lockout looming.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Although I thought we were tight in cap room coming out of 2010 going into 201, what I forgot was that no-one was signing free agents because there was a lockout looming.
    Still a valid discussion point though my friend.

In the end, you can never be wrong with me, as long as it spurs a discussion.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

I really hope that is the path they follow, as opposed to signing free agents to make us mediocre and screwing up the draft. I can take losing for a couple of years to build a stable team. I cannot take mediocrity for years on end.
    Now that the stadium deal is done, I think the next thing we will see is a possible change at coach. After that, I think we will see stability all around the organization.

That my friend is what has to happen for us to quit being mediocre. Look around the league and look at the teams that are successful and the ones that win SB's. Almost all have that stability.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Now that the stadium deal is done, I think the next thing we will see is a possible change at coach. After that, I think we will see stability all around the organization.

That my friend is what has to happen for us to quit being mediocre. Look around the league and look at the teams that are successful and the ones that win SB's. Almost all have that stability.
    Hmmm.....not sure those two statements work together. Getting rid of the coach is the definition of instability. Getting a new coach is no guarantee that he will be a long term success and no doubt will want to try and transform us once again, after all the same cast will be selecting him.

If you want stability any time soon, I think you have to hope that Frazier can elevate his game.

Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Hmmm.....not sure those two statements work together. Getting rid of the coach is the definition of instability. Getting a new coach is no guarantee that he will be a long term success and no doubt will want to try and transform us once again, after all the same cast will be selecting him.

If you want stability any time soon, I think you have to hope that Frazier can elevate his game.
    Good point.

What I meant there is that I don't think things will stabilize until that happens. For some reason I just get the feeling that the Wilfs only hired Leslie because he was the cheapest solution and I think they have every intent on bringing someone else in at the end of the year.

Once that happens, the path to stability will start.

In the end, I hope I'm wrong. I hope everything goes off without a hitch this year and the team looks good going to 8-8/9-7 but if you really put me up against the wall, I will tell you that optimism aside, I don't think thats going to happen.

Most fans will blame Ponder and will start crying for Webb. The owners will stick with Ponder (as they should) and get a coach that will develop not only him, but the rest of the young talent.

My rationale for thinking that was is mostly based on taking a real close look at the younger players like Load and Greenway, we can see that they didn't really progress last year and in fact, took a step backwards.

That my friend isn't a talent issue, but rather a coaching issue.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123