Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kevin Williams

The Tark is offline Waterboy

Kevin Williams

You guys have to do me a huge favor. I am currently in a mini debate with someone and Kevin Williams came up. I said he was an 'under' tackle. The other person said he was a 2 gapper. You guys would be doing me a hugh favor if you could answer the question. What type of DT is he?

ps-Did he play DE at all this year? Even just for a few plays?

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Kevin Williams

"The Tark" wrote:
    You guys have to do me a huge favor. I am currently in a mini debate with someone and Kevin Williams came up. I said he was an 'under' tackle. The other person said he was a 2 gapper. You guys would be doing me a hugh favor if you could answer the question. What type of DT is he?

ps-Did he play DE at all this year? Even just for a few plays?
    I've an idea that he did play some plays at DE this year - not sure what type of DT he's classed as though
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Del Rio Guest

Kevin Williams

The "2" Technique places the DT at the inside eye of the OG keying the Guard. Responsibilities are as follows:
    #1=Defeat the Guard and pursue the play.
    #2=Check for the Draw.
    #3=Rush the drop pass passer.

The "3" Gap Technique aligns the Defensive Tackle (DT) in the gap between the Offensive Guard (OG) and Offensive Tackle (OT). The DT keys the movements of the OG and OT. Duties are as follows:
    #1=Explode through the gap one to one and a half yards with the head up looking for the ball.
    #2=If the gap is narrow make contact and read and react resisting the flow of the play.
    #3=Look for the trap, then flow to the play.
    #4=Rush the passer.

The "4" Technique (Strong Side) calls for the DT to line up head to head with the OT when a TE is present and key the actions of the OT. Responsibilities are:
    #1=Defeat the OT and control both gaps.
    #2=Rush the passer.
    #3=Keep the OT off the LB.
    #4=If the OT blocks down (inside) crash down on the OT's hip.
    #5=Check for the Trap, then pursue the play.

The "5" Technique aligns the DT at the outside eye of the OT, keying first the TE, then the OT. Duties are:
    #1=To keep the OT off the LB.
    #2=DT can't be blocked singularly by the OT.
    #3=Check for the Trap.
    #4=Rush the pass.

The "5" Gap Technique places the DT squarely in the middle of the gap between the OT and TE. The DT keys the gap. If the gap is wide, penetrate one to one and a half yards head up and look for the ball. If the gap is narrow make contact, read and react, and resist offensive pressure. Flow to the play. Rush the passer.

The "Weak Side" Technique calls for the DT to line up at the inside eye (or head up with) the OT when no TE is present. The DT keys the OT with the primary objective of defeating the OT. Read and react responsibilities prevail.

The "7" Technique has the DT line up at the inside eye of the TE keying the OT. Duties are to smack (1) and read the TE. If the TE blocks, defeat the TE and find the ball. If the TE releases and the OT blocks down, close on the Trap. Otherwise, read and react.

The "X" Technique has the DT line head up with the OT. The key is the snap of the ball. At the snap of the ball, the Dt slams through the head of the OG.

Didn't know if anyone cared for those translations but that's my opinion and just in case someone didn't know what gap assignments are.

Personally he is best where ever he lines up. I mean the guy intercepted a pass causes fumbles demands double teams he is a beast. Depending on the tendencies of the team we are playing he should move around in his assignments. Does the team we play run draws? Sweeps? Do they have a Mike Vick?

This is a cheap answer and I know there can be arguments made for both but I like him playing the inside gaps #2 particularly. He is large he gets attention. That creates a log jam in the middle. Shuts down the smash mouth plays. And takes on an extra blokcer to free up a LB or make a RB block a LB.

He does however have speed. I watched him chase down a toss that no other DT could get. I think on OUR team with what we have in UDEZE on the end and our 4 man front he is best suited for the 2. If we played a three man front he would be one mean nose tackle.

Kevin Williams

Not a 2 technique. He said he was a 2 gapper. A 2 gapper is responsible for covering 2 gaps. This means he has to control blockers and close up the running lanes. This would leave Williams playing without one of his best assets. He would not be able to use his speed if he is a 2 gapper.

Del Rio Guest

Kevin Williams

A 2 gapper??

LOL

Well when you are constantly double teamed gaps become less of an issue. It is not logical to have a DT that is being double teamed play in play out contain 2 gaps all you do is turn his shoulder his contain is gone.
    That's what LB's are for.

Lanes are only an issue on run plays generally he gets doubled and they turn him which ever way he turns that same side line man peels and picks up a backer. When you play the line every angle is crucial all it takes is a blink and the RB is gone.

His main power is pass rush. Gap assignments aren't all that important only to try and read the screen and draw.

Now that I know what you meant by "2 gapper" I don't like him being assigned to do that. It will take away from his explosiveness and put more responisbility on him and less on our growing LB's

Kevin Williams

Anyone have any ideas about how many snaps he saw at DE?

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Kevin Williams

sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

Kevin Williams

Wouldn't a "2-gapper" just refer to a nose tackle in a 3-4 defense? In a 3-4 the NT has the responsibility to control both A gaps. If so, Williams of course would not be that guy.
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

Kevin Williams

It is usually associated with the 34 defense. But some 43 teams have DTs who job is to be a 2 gap.

Read more about it at:
    http://www.gridirontalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7013

Hey UltraVike, how did you come up with that number? Is that what it really is, or close to it? I hate to have to ask, but on a few boards I visit, there is always someone with a smart alleck reply. So i am not sure if you are being serious or just made up a number.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Kevin Williams

Quote:

"The "2" Technique places the DT at the inside eye of the OG keying the Guard. Responsibilities are as follows:
    #1=Defeat the Guard and pursue the play.
    #2=Check for the Draw.
    #3=Rush the drop pass passer.

The "3" Gap Technique aligns the Defensive Tackle (DT) in the gap between the Offensive Guard (OG) and Offensive Tackle (OT). The DT keys the movements of the OG and OT. Duties are as follows:
    #1=Explode through the gap one to one and a half yards with the head up looking for the ball.
    #2=If the gap is narrow make contact and read and react resisting the flow of the play.
    #3=Look for the trap, then flow to the play.
    #4=Rush the passer.

The "4" Technique (Strong Side) calls for the DT to line up head to head with the OT when a TE is present and key the actions of the OT. Responsibilities are:
    #1=Defeat the OT and control both gaps.
    #2=Rush the passer.
    #3=Keep the OT off the LB.
    #4=If the OT blocks down (inside) crash down on the OT's hip.
    #5=Check for the Trap, then pursue the play.

The "5" Technique aligns the DT at the outside eye of the OT, keying first the TE, then the OT. Duties are:
    #1=To keep the OT off the LB.
    #2=DT can't be blocked singularly by the OT.
    #3=Check for the Trap.
    #4=Rush the pass.

The "5" Gap Technique places the DT squarely in the middle of the gap between the OT and TE. The DT keys the gap. If the gap is wide, penetrate one to one and a half yards head up and look for the ball. If the gap is narrow make contact, read and react, and resist offensive pressure. Flow to the play. Rush the passer.

The "Weak Side" Technique calls for the DT to line up at the inside eye (or head up with) the OT when no TE is present. The DT keys the OT with the primary objective of defeating the OT. Read and react responsibilities prevail.

The "7" Technique has the DT line up at the inside eye of the TE keying the OT. Duties are to smack (1) and read the TE. If the TE blocks, defeat the TE and find the ball. If the TE releases and the OT blocks down, close on the Trap. Otherwise, read and react.

The "X" Technique has the DT line head up with the OT. The key is the snap of the ball. At the snap of the ball, the Dt slams through the head of the OG."

This is exactly why I'm not a football coach!!!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast