Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Muggsy is offline Asst. Coach

Kevin Seifert - Who's going to make the calls?

At 0-2, who will make the call?
    Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune

Steve Loney made a generous, if not acrobatic, offer Monday. Responding to reports that he might soon give up his playcalling duties, the Vikings' genial offensive coordinator suggested he could keep himself busy regardless.

"If it will help us win," Loney said, "I'll stand on my head."

Coach Mike Tice insisted Monday he has not decided how -- or if -- he will restructure the Vikings' offensive coaching arrangement, a day after his team narrowly avoided a shutout in its 37-8 loss to the Cincinnati Bengals. Tice appeared to be calling plays late in Sunday's game, but as of Monday afternoon, Loney said he had not discussed the issue with Tice.

A resolution almost certainly will come for the Vikings by Wednesday, but it seems likely Tice at least will take a larger role in calling the plays. Another option is for Loney, who doubles as the offensive line coach, to move into the coaches booth and delegate his in-game line duties to assistant offensive line coach Corbin Lacina.

"I think we still need to continue to address who is in the booth, who is on the field and who has what role as far as it pertains to play-calling," Tice said. "We will continue to look at that as the next couple of days progress. ... We will address some things. I am sure there will be some tweaks. How many and how much, time will tell."

In their 0-2 start, the Vikings have committed nearly as many turnovers (12) as they have scored points on offense (14). The miscues have prevented the Vikings from establishing any rhythm, and Culpepper admitted Monday that he forced passes in a misguided attempt to spark a comeback against the Bengals.

"I need to get back to playing within myself," Culpepper said, "and doing what I love to do, which is make plays. If it's not there, tuck it and run. And if that's not there, get down and be smart about it."

Tice and Loney acknowledged Culpepper's overexuberance Monday, and Loney added, "I think everybody, Daunte included, needs to just do their job. I don't think any one person needs to feel like they have to carry an offense on its shoulders."

That includes Loney, who has dealt with an unprecedented workload for a modern NFL coach -- primary responsibility for the offense, the line and play-calling. While Loney did not indict his own performance Monday, saying he has performed "pretty good" thus far, he acknowledged his ultimate responsibility in elevating the offense's production.

On a day when the Houston Texans became the first team to fire its offensive coordinator (line coach Joe Pendry will replace the ousted Chris Palmer), Loney was nowhere near losing his job. But he said he is willing to do "whatever it is determined I need to in order for us to win.

"I'm not under the assumption that something is going to change," Loney said. "If it does, it does. If I need to take the tape off the locker room to help us win, I'll be happy to do that, too.

"I'm willing to do anything, and we'll look at everything. Because I fully understand that the responsibilities for this lie in my lap. I'm not going to shirk from it. You've got to be man enough to make decisions and go along with decisions that can help the offense have success."

Loney is in his first year as an NFL coordinator, but he called plays for Iowa State and the Gophers in previous jobs as an offensive coordinator. Popular and well-liked in the locker room, Loney has seemed to face little resistance in his transition from predecessor Scott Linehan.

"What we have to do," running back Michael Bennett said, "is execute the play calls better, whether it's in the passing game or the running game."

Loney acknowledged that Sunday's early deficit forced him away from his original intent of an equitable pass-run ratio. He said "there are always two or three calls you wish you had back" but noted Culpepper had other options on at least one of his interceptions.

"I'm not going to sit here and slam the table and say there absolutely won't be any [changes]," Loney said. "When you only have one touchdown in two games, you obviously have some things to fix. So our job as coaches is to look. If something will help us win, then that's what I'm for.

"I'm not going to let my ego get in the way of this team having success."
    "From the fury of the Northmen, O Lord, save us!"
    -- From a monestary in Ireland.

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Kevin Seifert - Who's going to make the calls?

I think Tice will be a lot more involved in the offense. I think if we had gotten norm chow to be our offensive cooridinator or kept linehan, none of this would be happening.

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

To me its black and white, Remove Looney from Playing calling, Wins increase!

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

"magicci" wrote:
    I think Tice will be a lot more involved in the offense. I think if we had gotten norm chow to be our offensive cooridinator or kept linehan, none of this would be happening.

And again, that all happened under Red .... nothing we can do about it now. Plus, watch what you hope for, Tice more involved in the offense?? scary ....

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

do u think tice can do a bellicheck and be the o. coorordinator too?

"WilliamsonOfTroy" wrote:
    To me its black and white, Remove Looney from Playing calling, Wins increase!

It's really Not that "black and white". Examples:

1) Daunte' not seeing open receivers
    2) Receivers not getting open
    3) Bennett not hitting the hole
    4) Memo not blocking and picking up the blitz
    5) "O" - line wishing they were in Mexico as all Daunte' is hearing out there is "O-lay" as defenders wizz by his head .......

... it goes on and on. Play calling?? To some extent, but it all really comes do to personel being committed to doing there jobs. Part of that is on Tice, part is on Looooooney, part is on all the other coaches, and part is on the players themselves. Till someone, anyone on this offense be it Memo, Bennett, Cpep, Wiggi or any of the WR's shows a spark and a big play .... it will be much of the same from the last too weeks, forcing the play, instead of taking what the "D" is giving ya.

"magicci" wrote:
    do u think tice can do a bellicheck and be the o. coorordinator too?

Too some extent, he is going to have no choice if he wants to keep his job. But remember, the more time Tice spends monkeying around with the "O" duties, the less time he has to do his "coaching" responsibilities.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

"If it will help us win," Loney said, "I'll stand on my head."

I'd like to see that! lol

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

I had to summrize this article for my coaching class. I am starting to come around to these coaches if tice takes over calling the plays I think we will do alright.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

I would much rather have loney in the booth then Tice calling plays but if that doesn't help then Tice calling plays will do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast