singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Kevin Rogers' charged with developing Jackson

[size=13pt]Vikings QB coach charged with developing Jackson[/size]

By JON KRAWCZYNSKI
    AP Sports Writer

11:09 AM CDT, September 1, 2008

MANKATO, Minn. - Kevin Rogers' job title with the Minnesota Vikings seems simple enough.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Kevin Rogers' charged with developing Jackson

I can hear the derisive laughter now -- "What happened to Childress who was suppose to be the great QB coach?" Ya, I got to admit that was my first thought, too. But then I thought Childress has a lot more to worry about than JUST the QB. I thought it was a good article.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni

This article is really nothing more than most of already knew, but with some more in-depth to it.

I like the fact that Childress has stepped back and let Rogers mentor him.
    This will enable Chilly to come down on him a bit if necessary, without shattering him to much.
    Also, Chilly is too busy.
    He has a whole football team to oversee.
    I am glad he is continuing to learn how to be a head coach and be involved in everything, but not overly-involved.

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

I think Tarvaris is in a great situation, and with Rodgers coaching we should see big improvements this year at QB. T-Jack just has to stay healthy and he is going to come into his own this year. Let's go #7.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Wait, wait, wait.........

Isn't this Gus's job?
    I thought Coach Rogers just kept them in coffee and ran the clicker in the QB meetings.
    ;D
    ;D
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

It's good to see his name mentioned.
    Kind of like the hacks were sitting around drinking a pot of coffee while one of them accidently clicked on the staff section of the Vikings webpage and thought.....holy shit, there are a bunch of coaches on the team.
    Maybe we better write a small piece on one of them before we completely lose our credibility.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni

"Prophet" wrote:
    It's good to see his name mentioned.
    Kind of like the hacks were sitting around drinking a pot of coffee while one of them accidently clicked on the staff section of the Vikings webpage and thought.....holy shit, there are a bunch of coaches on the team.
    Maybe we better write a small piece on one of them before we completely lose our credibility.
    Nice analysis Prophet.....was nice to start my morning with a chuckle

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Wait, wait, wait.........

Isn't this Gus's job?
    I thought Coach Rogers just kept them in coffee and ran the clicker in the QB meetings.
    ;D
    ;D
    ;D
    I am sure Gus helps.

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

This seems kind of odd to me. I don't think Tarvaris's character needs development, and let's face it, he is a grown man. What does need work are the following:

a. Checking down when everyone is covered
    b. Not panicking, but using movement inside the pocket to evade the rush (as opposed to fleeing the pocket right away).
    c. Mechanics
    d. Balance, etc.: not throwing off one's back foot
    e. Sliding ! :

I actually think that Tarvaris has already shown a lot of maturity and stoicism. So please work on his mechanics and his checkdowns and pocket presence, rather than making him into a good citizen or something like that.

Bottom line: we would not have drafted him high if he had character issues !!

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

"StillPurple" wrote:
    This seems kind of odd to me. I don't think Tarvaris's character needs development, and let's face it, he is a grown man. What does need work are the following:

a. Checking down when everyone is covered
    b. Not panicking, but using movement inside the pocket to evade the rush (as opposed to fleeing the pocket right away).
    c. Mechanics
    d. Balance, etc.: not throwing off one's back foot
    e. Sliding ! :

I actually think that Tarvaris has already shown a lot of maturity and stoicism. So please work on his mechanics and his checkdowns and pocket presence, rather than making him into a good citizen or something like that.

Bottom line: we would not have drafted him high if he had character issues !!
    Tarvaris will definitly conitue to improve his character or development so to speak. I'm seeing more out of him as he continues to grow and mature within his job.

The one thing I would correct is where you quote him as panicking. I think more often then not Tarvaris has left the pocket when there was trouble and he avoids plenty of sacks by doing this. I do beleive he can work on his pocket presence and his ability to slide, some Tony Romo tape might help him out. When I think of Panicking I think of last years Dallas game where he looked undecisive, needless to say this type of panicking didn't go on for long.

We might just see Tarvaris in the pocket more this season, of course pass protection has plenty to do with it but so does your confidence in your wideouts.