Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keeping B Will

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Keeping B Will

I've thought up a bit of plan to keep Brian Williams with the team. We resign Williams to play SS for us. We let Chavous go, resign offord to back him up.

Williams played safety in college and he was darn good at it, he's a great tackler, he's a ball hawk even when his back is turned to the ball (playing CB). He's got exeptional speed, better than chavous and so much more athletic. He's got that explosive pop when he hits someone. He's a great pass rusher and i think he's got the size to do it. Williams is probably around 5 11 200 pounds, i know the guys a workout dude so if he wants to add to that he could get bigger.

I have a real problem with letting him go, you dont just draft guys like him in the fourth round then develop them then let them go, we can't be doin that. I think this is a perfect idea, Williams has all the tools to play SS, i believe it would be a perfect fit. The experience he brings is also very very important, say smoot or Winfield goes down next year, move B Will back to CB and put offord in. He's a versitle experienced player, to much to loose. Everytime we play somebody with big fast TE's we got Brian Williams physical body matched up with them, shockey, todd heap...ect. To me its plain and simple, Brian is football player and transaction won't be a big deal, he's been running with guys like TO all his career and he's got prior experience at Safety.

Just do it Tice!

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Keeping B Will

I like Chavous at strong safety. But thats just me...

michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni

that might not be a bad idea but you know he is gonna ask for a crap load of money and some team is gonna pay him. He had a very good year and he has a nose for the ball similar to A. Winfield. I personally think he'll be a starting corner for another team next year.

I'd like to find a way to keep both Williams and Chavous. I've never been big fan of Williams, but he looked alot better this season than he has in the past. Hopefully they are both back in MN next season.
    Even babies know the difference.

FuadFan is offline Hall of Famer

"vikingstw" wrote:
    I've thought up a bit of plan to keep Brian Williams with the team. We resign Williams to play SS for us. We let Chavous go, resign offord to back him up.
    There is no chance of that happening he can play CB and get big money that people pay to CBs lately why would he move to safety? The fact is that he will be gone and Smoot and Winfield are the future.
    Minnesota Vikings : Simply the best

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

"FuadFan" wrote:
    "vikingstw" wrote:
    There is no chance of that happening he can play CB and get big money that people pay to CBs lately why would he move to safety? The fact is that he will be gone and Smoot and Winfield are the future.
    Thats his dicision, maybe he will take less, stay in Minnesota where he was drafted and probably has a home. Its just a thought or idea, to try to keep him in uniform. More than likely he will be gone but i like to think about different senarios. Your right about the CB pay thing though, they really do cough it up to them.

GreenBaySlackers is offline Star Spokesman

at this point, i'd take him over smoot...

misteralay is offline Training Camp

I really want this guy also. the whole point is that we shouldnt have gone out in free agency and got smoot. we already had this kid developing. We should've kept him as our #2 and irvin as our #3. i mean irvin is old but he brings the expereince. plus now we have some kids develoing as in devonte edwards. look at the patriots CB's. They dont go out and spend big money on their secondary and they seem to become solid even though they slip and slide for a like 2 games. they let lawyer milloy and ty law go. The eagles are in that same situation in letting troy vincent and the other guy go. But even though we wont be able to keep brian williams then i think we should be fine with smoot as the #2. you dont want to spend so much of our salary cap on three corner backs. thats the main thing.

briboy75 is offline Asst. Coach

id love to see brian stay and compete for the 2nd corner position... i know that hes going to starting for someone else next year though.. he had a great year and deserves to start. if the vikings wanted to spaned $ on defense, they should have spent the money they spent on smooth on a linebacker... but at the begining of the season it looked like we had addressed linebacker pretty well.

FuadFan is offline Hall of Famer

I think we will be fine with Smoot as well and just so you know we cut Irvin many weeks ago he is not on the roster and probably is done with football.
    Minnesota Vikings : Simply the best

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast