Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni
    NFW we're going to a 3-4..not a chance.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NDVikingFan66 View Post
    True, but I just don't think our current personnel allow us to play a 3-4, but I am not an elite football mind.

What I do know is that our current cover no one scheme is not working for us.
    Our current personnel doesn't allow us to play the T2.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seaniemck7 View Post
    Surprising to say the least. 3-4 D for us would suck. We do not have the LB corp to pull it off.
    We don't have the LB corps to run the T2. One way or the other the group has to be re tooled. Staying with this scheme and those LB's just keeps us with a terrible defense.

We do not have a DT on the roster to play NG.
    We also don't have a WarPig DT for the T2. That is a wash.

With all the holes we need to fill, moving to a 3-4 only creates more holes

There is a challenge no matter what defense they run. The real question is, when facing GB and Detroit and Chicago 2x a year, would you rather have a flexible defense that can challenge their WR's, mask where the pressure is coming from, and have the athletic personnel on the field who can go toe to toe with the elite offenses or a passive zone coverage that the opposing QB's pick apart at will no matter how many great players you have on the front 4.

If you prefer the latter then I guess we have different philosophies.

It doesn't make sense to me.
    But getting torched by the high powered offenses that are a product of the rule changes does?

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by skum View Post
    Jared Allen had 22 sacks, Brian Robison had a breakout season......
    That breakout season by Robison you speak of.....
    It was not better than Edwards 2010 season, but most people here considered that performance by Edwards to be mediocre & him not worth resigning.

Robison is just shy of that performance & it's considered a breakout season?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    I don't think less wants to go to a 304... not sure it makes a lot of sense to do that... bottom line is we don't have the personnel to play any defense.. esp. until we fix the secondary and LB's... with that said on topic... You can the guy who has the most productive unit??... what a joke.. it's like these dudes are either doing shit on purpose to mess this team up or are even worse decision makers than we thought.. which would be very hard...

moving to a 3-4 would completely neutralize the best part of our defense.. the D-Line... the 3-4 is designed to make the D line occupy blockers and let the linebackers make plays.. not sure I want these linebackers making plays..... with the shitty-2 defenes we play.. we still led the league in sacks... I find it hard to believe we'd switch.. but given the decisions we've been making lately on the team from top to bottom nothing would surprise me anymore...

To the guy who talked about San Fran and houston making the switch... they all had one player that most notably switched Smith and Williams... we'd have the entire DE positions that would have to switch to OLB.. Allen and Robison... It just doesnt' make sense for us... SO, we'll probably do it...

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    It was not better than Edwards 2010 season, but most people here considered that performance by Edwards to be mediocre & him not worth resigning.

I might not agree with that assesment of Edwards season but i think Ray Edwards attitude was a big part in the fans not wanting to accept him for a pretty good player as he was/is even though he hasnt had much luck in Atlanta, but you could say that is part of Dunbars success also and only proves my point more that this is a pretty stupid move, but i guess it all depends who they have lined up to replace him.

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

It was better than edwards.
    Robison 2011:
    44tackls 8sack 3ff
    Edwards 2010:
    37tackls 8sack 0ff

Those that didn't want to give Edwards 30million have largely been proven correct. Edwards had a down year and Robison filled in nicely.

Formo is offline Team Alumni
    Gotta agree with jmcdon, Singer. Not to mention, this was Robison's first year as a full time starter and not a fill in guy. Edwards had his time to shine. Not hating so much on Edwards here as you may be trying to imply, just more showing the love to Robison.

Anyway, I'm pissed at this move. And I know I'm just having an emotional outburst that I'll get over in 3 minutes.. but right now would be a great time for Zigy fuckwad to move the team to LA.
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcdon00 View Post
    It was better than edwards.
    Robison 2011:
    44tackls 8sack 3ff
    Edwards 2010:
    37tackls 8sack 0ff

Those that didn't want to give Edwards 30million have largely been proven correct. Edwards had a down year and Robison filled in nicely.
    Edwards also only played 14 games in 2010, with Robison seeing considerable playing time in relief in Edwards place during the season. That easily accounts for the difference of 7 tackles.

I like Robison, have since we first signed him, but I'm not going to treat him like a rookie starting for the first time. He's had more than enough experience playing at the pro level at that position.

Now you might want to try & sell that the 3FF difference between the two is the difference between being a mediocre RDE & a RDE having a breakout season worthy of a $30 million contract, but I'm not buying it like some others here are.

I expected to see a significant difference.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Edwards also only played 14 games in 2010, with Robison seeing considerable playing time in relief in Edwards place during the season. That easily accounts for the difference of 7 tackles.

I like Robison, have since we first signed him, but I'm not going to treat him like a rookie starting for the first time. He's had more than enough experience playing at the pro level at that position.

Now you might want to try & sell that the 3FF difference between the two is the difference between being a mediocre RDE & a RDE having a breakout season worthy of a $30 million contract, but I'm not buying it like some others here are.

I expected to see a significant difference.
    Another element left out is that Ray played when we had the Wall intact, Robison stepped in when the Wall was broken. In short, Ray played on a better line.

Robison had a "breakout" season from the standpoint that he didn't drop off production at the position. Is he a 1st Tier DE? No. He's a quality guy - like Ray was - who benefits from playing on a line with Kevin and Jared.

But the debate for the past 2 years has been about whether or not Ray was an "Elite" DE. His 33 combined tackles and 3.5 sacks are a far cry from his 2008 and 2009 numbers....when he played with the Wall. You know, that elite D-Line that Ray's supporters claimed did NOT influence his numbers or his impact.

Obviously, playing in Atlanta, with Babineaux, Peters, and Abraham, has allowed Ray to step up and......

...well....

I guess he sort of dropped off. Hmmm. Who saw THAT coming?

(Most of us)

So, is Robison "Elite"? No. But he maintained the production of the position in his first year as a STARTER...and THAT is significant.

Caine

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast