Thread: Kalil on Sirius

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

Kalil on Sirius

Anyone else hear Matt Kalil on Sirius NFL Radio today? He was on Movin' the Chains with Pat Kirwan and Jason Horowitz today. They asked questions about Ponder, Freeman, and Cassel. Kalil was candid and did not avoid answering the questions honestly. A quote, "Matt Cassel puts us in the best position to win games, right now."

Can't find the quote, but, he also said, "I'm not gonna lie, there are guys who question why Matt hasn't been named the starter." He would not name names, but, it was clear that he was on the Cassel bandwagon, at least vs Ponder.

Kirwan and Horowitz tried, but, didn't really uncover much about Freeman, other than, "he has all the tools, that's obvious."

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

snowinapril is online now Jersey Retired
    Interesting!

Best chance to win = Cassel greater than Ponder.

All the tools = Freeman not ready.

Sometimes I wonder about teams trying to hide guys. If we continue to ride the Ponder-mobile we are trying to tell other teams he has value and he is better than Cassel. What, are they trying to convince other teams that Ponder might have some value in the offseason? Maybe they thinks someone will offer something for him. Who knows?

I think in these situations the coaches lose some of the team members support. That is the risk the coaches run on a losing team when there are glaring questions about talent.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion
    Could it be that Ponder=best chance to lose?? Playing for the draft pick? Continuing to play him at this point is really a dis-service to him. It will destroy his career. He just is not ready to be a starter.

WWBGD

313zoe is offline Starter
    Blog Entries

Kalil on Sirius

Draft a QB in the second or third round and sign Vick, or Cutler

snowinapril is online now Jersey Retired
    Why is Cutler not going to be a Bear? McCown isn't the answer, what he is doing is a fluke.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by 313zoe View Post
    Draft a QB in the second or third round and sign Vick, or Cutler
    Neither one will stay healthy behind the Vikings line. Best to draft a young guy and let him learn behind Freeman for a bit.
    This team isn't going to be a contender for a couple of years. It's time to build the team around that future QB.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    If anyone can tell which QB is playing the best on the field it is Kalil. He spends more time standing there watching what the QB and RB are doing than he does blocking, which could also tell you where part of the problem is. If he would spend more time locking up a defender and staying on them through the whole play we might see the QB making more plays.

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Has protection been a problem for Cassel? I haven't gone back and looked at the games, but it seems to me Cassel magically gets more protection than Ponder does. Now, Ponder is a much better QB moving than staying in the pocket, so that is actually not as bad a thing as it could be, but I think the OL is more motivated protecting Cassel than Ponder.

For the record, if I were a defense facing Ponder, I would rush 3 and put the rest in watching AP and waiting for Ponder to throw it to them. When he isn't being rushed, he makes HORRIBLE mistakes. Don't you think our OL knows this too?
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by drewlovs View Post
    Has protection been a problem for Cassel? I haven't gone back and looked at the games, but it seems to me Cassel magically gets more protection than Ponder does. Now, Ponder is a much better QB moving than staying in the pocket, so that is actually not as bad a thing as it could be, but I think the OL is more motivated protecting Cassel than Ponder.

For the record, if I were a defense facing Ponder, I would rush 3 and put the rest in watching AP and waiting for Ponder to throw it to them. When he isn't being rushed, he makes HORRIBLE mistakes. Don't you think our OL knows this too?

That does seem to be the case. Maybe the OL is just trying to help Ponder commit to a decision a little quicker