Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Infidel is offline Star Spokesman

Re: K-Dubb-Vikings are a good football team-Bad Breaks

While some of our players may WISH they could get top dollar.....some are kidding themselves and will find themselves staying with the Vikings.

With Rice and others on the offense, it may depend a lot on whether or not they think the offense can succeed next year.....to me, prospects are not that good.

Nobody is talking about fixing the broken O-Line and QB situation is volatile and vague.

It would help if Webb could make a good showing in the next two games, but the odds are against him. Even if he gets improved pass protection.....he's got a lot to learn.
    It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.
    --John Wooden

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Infidel" #1085568
    While some of our players may WISH they could get top dollar.....some are kidding themselves and will find themselves staying with the Vikings.

With Rice and others on the offense, it may depend a lot on whether or not they think the offense can succeed next year.....to me, prospects are not that good.
    in Rice's case his agent won't want to take a chance so I don't expect to see him in Minny after this season. Also depends on whether the Vikes want to keep said players.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "AngloVike" #1085574
    Quote Originally Posted by "Infidel" #1085568

in Rice's case his agent won't want to take a chance so I don't expect to see him in Minny after this season. Also depends on whether the Vikes want to keep said players.
    Again Anglo is spot on.

Lets remember that the player gets money two ways.....1) Gauranteed up front and 2) Escalators/incentives.

A WR like El Syd will get alot of his money based on production on the field. No way in hell Rosie lets him stay in MN catching balls from the likes of Joe Webb or one of the rooks coming out this year.

My guess, you will see El Syd go to a team that already has a good QB but needs WR help (I.e. Chargers, Houston) were he will get a nice signing bonus but will get most of his money from incentives. If that doesn't work out he will go to a team that will give him huge dollars up front (Raiders, Wash, Seattle) and a contract that has very little incentives in it.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "Minniman" #1085440
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1085398
    Quote Originally Posted by "Infidel" #1085395
    Good teams stay fired up.

Good teams protect their QB.

Good teams converge on the ball to make the tackle on defense. The ball carrier draws a crowd, wherever he may be.

Good teams seem interested in the game.

Good teams win.
    Good stuff. A few more to add to the list....

Good teams don't lead the league in turnovers.
    Good teams don't commit stupid penalties.
    Good teams score when they get into the redzone.
    Good teams are good in all 3 phases (ST's, Offense, Defense).
    Good teams win close games.
    Good teams are coached well enough to eliminate luck as a major factor in the outcome of football games.

Luck, a crazy bounce or a slippery ball in bad weather, can make the difference in a close game, but it usually averages out. Luck is not going to make a difference when the defensive line does not get pressure and the wide receiver beats the cornerback deep by three yards.

The Vikings are not a well coached team, and I do not see an improvement under Frazier. It may be unfair, because he has to coach with the group Childress brought in, but it is, after all, his defensive scheme that is getting blow out.
    Good stuff my friend. Just one question.....

Would you say that the Vikes were well coached last year or lucky? They did get to the NFCC game based on something.

I think our problems this year is based on a couple of things.....

1. Injuries. OL hasn't been together all year.
    2. Players not happy.

I still say that if our FO pukes would have signed some players this year would have been completely different.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1085561
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1085551
    Quote Originally Posted by "AngloVike" #1085424
    Quote Originally Posted by "Infidel" #1085422
    Why should we think that Rice won't get his most attractive offer from the Vikings?

Will our QB situation drive him and other receivers to other teams?
    Because his agent is Rosenwhore whose mininum expectation from a team is most attractive and then wants to drive it up from there.
    He'll already be looking around and have a few teams in mind to target and that will be re-inforced by those making the playoffs this year. The QB situation will Rosenwhore's ace in convincing Rice to look elsewhere.
    Spot on Anglo.

Add to that there are several on this team that are gonna want top dollar.
    Ol Bryzcheapski is pretty smart in that area. A oft injured, although talented WR might not be at the top of the list.
    He's not real high on MY list...
    I know.

Infidel is offline Star Spokesman

My guess, you will see El Syd go to a team that already has a good QB but needs WR help.....
    Ummmmm......let's alter that to good QB AND good pass protection.

And then only if they need an injury-prone, fairly slow WR who compensates with good jumping skills and good ability to time those jumps and survive the hard landings.......but has already had hip surgery and is quite a risk.

Teams are not going to be knocking down doors to get Sidney......and that will be the case for a lot of our FAs who have turned out to be not quite as stellar as once predicted.

We'll definitely be getting some of these fallen "stars" back......IF WE EVEN WANT THEM.
    It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.
    --John Wooden

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Quote Originally Posted by "Infidel" #1085866
    My guess, you will see El Syd go to a team that already has a good QB but needs WR help.....
    Ummmmm......let's alter that to good QB AND good pass protection.

And then only if they need an injury-prone, fairly slow WR who compensates with good jumping skills and good ability to time those jumps and survive the hard landings.......but has already had hip surgery and is quite a risk.

Teams are not going to be knocking down doors to get Sidney......and that will be the case for a lot of our FAs who have turned out to be not quite as stellar as once predicted.

We'll definitely be getting some of these fallen "stars" back......IF WE EVEN WANT THEM.
    Rice has excellent hands, some of the best in the NFL. He will get a huge multiyear deal from the Vikings.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1085861
    Quote Originally Posted by "Minniman" #1085440
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1085398
    Quote Originally Posted by "Infidel" #1085395
    Good teams stay fired up.

Good teams protect their QB.

Good teams converge on the ball to make the tackle on defense. The ball carrier draws a crowd, wherever he may be.

Good teams seem interested in the game.

Good teams win.
    Good stuff. A few more to add to the list....

Good teams don't lead the league in turnovers.
    Good teams don't commit stupid penalties.
    Good teams score when they get into the redzone.
    Good teams are good in all 3 phases (ST's, Offense, Defense).
    Good teams win close games.
    Good teams are coached well enough to eliminate luck as a major factor in the outcome of football games.

Luck, a crazy bounce or a slippery ball in bad weather, can make the difference in a close game, but it usually averages out. Luck is not going to make a difference when the defensive line does not get pressure and the wide receiver beats the cornerback deep by three yards.

The Vikings are not a well coached team, and I do not see an improvement under Frazier. It may be unfair, because he has to coach with the group Childress brought in, but it is, after all, his defensive scheme that is getting blow out.
    Good stuff my friend. Just one question.....

Would you say that the Vikes were well coached last year or lucky? They did get to the NFCC game based on something.

I think our problems this year is based on a couple of things.....

1. Injuries. OL hasn't been together all year.
    2. Players not happy.

I still say that if our FO pukes would have signed some players this year would have been completely different.
    LOL!

If memory serves, I was adamant about the Vikings signing OLineman & fixing our OL issues, including coaches, prior to FA.

You were dead set against it & didn't want the Vikings to waste roster spots on lineman. You thought we were set.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

So what happened to go from 12 wins to 6. Bad breaks played a part.

Strength of schedule. In 2009 the Vikings opponents finished the year 113-143, minus the Vikings games and they are 109-131. In 2010 the Vikings opponents finished the year 138-118, minus the VIkings games 128-112. This alone explains a couple losses.

In 2009 we won 2 games we had no business winning. One was against the 49ers with the miracle pass, not saying it was luck, but 99 out of 100 times a team in that situation loses.
    The other was against the Ravens where they had a short field goal to win the game and missed it. 80% of the time they make that and win the game. Flat out luck there.

Then you have the 2 home games away from the metrodome. The Vikings are a very good home team and I think in the metrodome we win at least 1 of those 2. In 2009 we were 4-4 on the road and 8-0 at home. This year 4-2 in the dome and 2-8 away from the dome.

Injuries, while we certainly had some last season, this year was a mess. Rice missed most of the year, Favre missed basically 4 games and was limited in others. I account for another loss due to injuries.

That's the 6 wins. 2 based on schedule, 2 based on lucky breaks, 1 based on loss of home games. 1 based on injuries.

edit: Or blame it all on the QB.
    2010: 305/505 60.4% 3097yds 14td 26int QBrating 67.7
    2009: 377/553 68.2% 4156yds 34td 7int QBrating 107.3
    :sick:

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by "jmcdon00" #1086576
    So what happened to go from 12 wins to 6. Bad breaks played a part.

Strength of schedule. In 2009 the Vikings opponents finished the year 113-143, minus the Vikings games and they are 109-131. In 2010 the Vikings opponents finished the year 138-118, minus the VIkings games 128-112. This alone explains a couple losses.

In 2009 we won 2 games we had no business winning. One was against the 49ers with the miracle pass, not saying it was luck, but 99 out of 100 times a team in that situation loses.
    The other was against the Ravens where they had a short field goal to win the game and missed it. 80% of the time they make that and win the game. Flat out luck there.

Then you have the 2 home games away from the metrodome. The Vikings are a very good home team and I think in the metrodome we win at least 1 of those 2. In 2009 we were 4-4 on the road and 8-0 at home. This year 4-2 in the dome and 2-8 away from the dome.

Injuries, while we certainly had some last season, this year was a mess. Rice missed most of the year, Favre missed basically 4 games and was limited in others. I account for another loss due to injuries.

That's the 6 wins. 2 based on schedule, 2 based on lucky breaks, 1 based on loss of home games. 1 based on injuries.

edit: Or blame it all on the QB.
    2010: 305/505 60.4% 3097yds 14td 26int QBrating 67.7
    2009: 377/553 68.2% 4156yds 34td 7int QBrating 107.3
    :sick:
    I was going to post something similar, but now I can just add some things to this. My carpels thank you.

Part of the QB rating is coaching and breaks. If one considers injuries as breaks, then the Vikings line had bad breaks. They could not keep the same squad on the field, and that really hurt the continuity of line-play.

That stated, the blocking scheme has been complicated and not to the players strengths since Childress has been here. The offensive scheme did not take into account Favre's immobility with chip, rub, and mass protect efforts, and that often put Favre on the ground.

Favre also had to deal with playcalling that did not fit the WCO Favre had been used to calling. There was a constant struggle between Favre and the Childress/Bevell coaching when it came to gameplanning and play selection. Favre often tried to make plays out of nothing, and the downfield or blocking scheme would not allow it.

People can say what they want about Rice, but not having him available as the go-to receiver deep meant Favre had no escape valve, and that meant more forcing the ball to non-factors like Berrian and to players who could not escape coverage. The best receiver Favre had was Harvin, and he was not available for several games. Is that considered a bad break?

As it was, the officiating cost the Vikings the first Packers game, so I guess that is a bad break too. On the other hand, if Childress did not run a keep-it-close-with-no-room-for-error offense, it could have been moot. the '98 Vikings got bad calls, and they overcame most of the calls with points on the scoreboard.

In the end, a few bad breaks did not expose the Vikings secondary. It did not miss protection on a quarterback that thrives when protected. It did not fail to apply pressure up front on the defensive line or cover zones effectively by linebackers. Bad breaks did not scheme the offense and make the gameplans. It was not a bad break last season when the Vikings had 12 players in the huddle.

Good teams survive bad breaks, better teams make their own breaks, and great teams force the other teams into having bad breaks. That is, most of the time.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast