Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

K-Dubb-Vikings are a good football team-Bad Breaks

"The record doesn't show it, but we're still a good football team," defensive tackle Kevin Williams said following Monday night's 40-14 loss to the division-clinching Chicago Bears. "Everybody's pressing, trying to do this and that, and it looks a little nasty. We're still fighting, but we just can't get it rolling.

Shooter Now: Vikings are 'a good football team' getting bad breaks, Kevin Williams says

To many protecting themselves K-dubb. To many protecting themselves.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Re: K-Dubb-Vikings are a good football team-Bad Breaks

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1085381
    "The record doesn't show it, but we're still a good football team," defensive tackle Kevin Williams said following Monday night's 40-14 loss to the division-clinching Chicago Bears. "Everybody's pressing, trying to do this and that, and it looks a little nasty. We're still fighting, but we just can't get it rolling.

Shooter Now: Vikings are 'a good football team' getting bad breaks, Kevin Williams says

Or they're a BAD football team who had good breaks last season.

In all seriousness, I don't think we're as good as many project.

Our Receiver corps is weak/thin. Our O-line is crap. Our D-line is crap. Our secondary is crap. Our QB situation is laughable.

Aside from Peterson and the Linebackers, I'm not real happy with the majority of the team. No way I'm calling them a "good team".

Caine

Infidel is offline Star Spokesman

Good teams stay fired up.

Good teams protect their QB.

Good teams converge on the ball to make the tackle on defense. The ball carrier draws a crowd, wherever he may be.

Good teams seem interested in the game.

Good teams win.
    It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.
    --John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1085392

Our Receiver corps is weak/thin. Our O-line is crap. Our D-line is crap. Our secondary is crap. Our QB situation is laughable.

Aside from Peterson and the Linebackers, I'm not real happy with the majority of the team. No way I'm calling them a "good team".

Caine
    I like your first point. Something I haven't pondered yet.

I, for one, still think we have a pretty talented team. Problem is most of our talent is still coming out of thier first contract year and should have had long term deals done.

I know you don't agree with me, but if you take that many players and tell them play out the year and then we will talk about a long term deal, I think you will see alot of them playing to protect themselves for next year, not this year.

Rice is a prime example. Anyone with half a brain can read between the leaves and see that his agent said, hold off on the surgery, get it done so that you come back just in time to get under the deadline of minimum games and we will get you your money in FA after the season.

Long story longer, it doesn't take to many players on a team playing with that type of attitude to see a team basically go in the tank.

As big of a proponent as I am of El Syd, I am almost of the mind to tell him to pack sand and take his boy Edwards with him. Everson has shown he has the motor and the skills to play LDE. Get rid of Kennedy and plug Guion in at the 0 technique etc etc etc.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what they command on the open market when they leave. Might be a indicator of how good other teams percieve them to be.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "Infidel" #1085395
    Good teams stay fired up.

Good teams protect their QB.

Good teams converge on the ball to make the tackle on defense. The ball carrier draws a crowd, wherever he may be.

Good teams seem interested in the game.

Good teams win.
    Good stuff. A few more to add to the list....

Good teams don't lead the league in turnovers.
    Good teams don't commit stupid penalties.
    Good teams score when they get into the redzone.
    Good teams are good in all 3 phases (ST's, Offense, Defense).
    Good teams win close games.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1085397

Caine

I, for one, still think we have a pretty talented team. Problem is most of our talent is still coming out of thier first contract year and should have had long term deals done.

I know you don't agree with me, but if you take that many players and tell them play out the year and then we will talk about a long term deal, I think you will see alot of them playing to protect themselves for next year, not this year.

Rice is a prime example. Anyone with half a brain can read between the leaves and see that his agent said, hold off on the surgery, get it done so that you come back just in time to get under the deadline of minimum games and we will get you your money in FA after the season.

Long story longer, it doesn't take to many players on a team playing with that type of attitude to see a team basically go in the tank.

As big of a proponent as I am of El Syd, I am almost of the mind to tell him to pack sand and take his boy Edwards with him. Everson has shown he has the motor and the skills to play LDE. Get rid of Kennedy and plug Guion in at the 0 technique etc etc etc.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what they command on the open market when they leave. Might be a indicator of how good other teams percieve them to be.
    Highlighted above is the best sentence you've written in weeks.

Rice is GOOD, but I'm not convinced he's worth the big money he'll be looking for. I think he's going to be more of a Nate Burleson than a Santana Moss.

Edwards has always been disposable...only BSberkleybitch couldn't figure that out.

Caine

Well, I have a whole brain and I can't read that.

It's called an educated guess, and that's not reading, it's speculating.....in this case, pretty wildly.

Rice and several other players are probably anxious about their FA fate due to their lack of convincing accomplishments this year.

That's one reason we may get some of them back.
    --John Wooden

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

I agree with Kevin to a point. I don't think the difference from last year to this year is as big as one might think just looking at the record.

12 wins last year 6 wins this year.

Last year we played 10 teams with losing records and beat 8 of them. This year we will play 6, likely beating all 6.

Last year we got a lucky break against the Ravens, they missed a short field goal in the dome that would have won the game. This year we got unlucky against the Packers with bad calls.

Injuries are a big part of it too. Don't know the numbers but it sure seems injuries have been more prevelent this year(especially on offense).

I think a big part of it is that the good teams manage to stay interested in the game even when they get bad breaks.

In fact, the mediocre teams (which is what the Vikings now are) tend to lose their intensity and make more mistakes when they get a few bad breaks.

Good teams play harder, better and mistake-free when things get tough.

The Vikings simply haven't done that, and therein lies a big part of their lack of success this season.

Coaches play a big part in combating this.....and we lacked a coach for most of the season.
    --John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1085402
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1085397

Caine

Highlighted above is the best sentence you've written in weeks.

Rice is GOOD, but I'm not convinced he's worth the big money he'll be looking for. I think he's going to be more of a Nate Burleson than a Santana Moss.

Edwards has always been disposable...only BSberkleybitch couldn't figure that out.

Caine
    I don't know about El Syd. I think he still hasn't hit his peak yet. Might not based on injuries he has and still might get. I wouldn't mind grabbing a big kid coming out this year but you would have to go through the whole 3 year learning curve with him just as you have with Syd.

Hopefully he won't have the injury bug.

I think the same can be said for Ray. I think they like Ray but, like me, don't believe he can stand up to the rigors at LDE. Again, his frame is really that of a RDE. He's just beefed up a bit.

You take off 10-15 lbs and move him back to RDE and I bet you see his sack totals go up again. Cat has been up there in pressures as a LDE for a reason.

The shame of it all is that the 2006 and 2007 classes should just be hitting thier prime and we should have them inked and working on growing the 08, 09 and 10 kids.

Now we are going to force 08 and 09 kids, probably some 11 kids on the field before thier time and I will have to sit here and stick up for them like I did Chad and Griff cause fans don't understand they are young and make mistakes. Heck, even old vets make mistakes. Just ask Phat Pat. He got caught up in it bad acouple of times monday.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast