TMAC604 is offline Starter

Just a thought - Please comment

We went from having the best recievers in the league and one of the best quarterbacks in the league to having the worst in the league at both positions.

The same happened in 1989
    We had the best D-Line
    and then we had the worst for many years (Excluding Johnny Randle of course)

Do you believe that teams don't scout the positions they are strong at. (Resulting in a shitty future at those key postions)

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Just a thought - Please comment

"TMAC604" wrote:
    We went from having the best recievers in the league and one of the best quarterbacks in the league to having the worst in the league at both positions.

We had the best D-Line

Do you believe that teams don't scout the positions they are strong at. (Resulting in a poohie future at those key postions)

The draft is almost always a crapshoot anyway...look at all the first round busts and late round (or undrafted) players that make it.
    It's not like we DIDN'T try to draft replacements...they just SUCKED!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I think teams need to and do scout all positions.
    However, when acquiring players in the draft and FA, you tend to look at need (unless you have a top 10 draft pick).
    A team with a good WR corp probably won't be pursuing the top WR in the draft unless he happens to fall into their lap like Moss did in 1998.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "TMAC604" wrote:

We had the best D-Line

Do you believe that teams don't scout the positions they are strong at. (Resulting in a poohie future at those key postions)

The draft is almost always a crapshoot anyway...look at all the first round busts and late round (or undrafted) players that make it.
    I think we should only focus on draft rounds 2-4.

But really, it's not fair to compare late round sleepers, to first round busts. Because you consider the late rounds from 5-7 or undrafted, so at a minimum there are 96 guys per draft year. And first round a maximum of 32 guys. So there should be more late round/undrafted success stories.

But the draft is a gamble, thats what makes it so exciting. I also think it depends on the position of a player. Like a first round quarterback is always more of a risk than a first round running back or even linebacker. But I think that is also more of a mental thing, like with a running back they just have to know where to run, but a quarterback has to pay attention to so many little details, and faces much more complex coverages than they did in college.

I don't know if any of this post made sense, but I don't really even care. The draft is a gamble, and I like it when I win... and hate it when I lose. Fortunately that doesn't happen very often, which is why I should be making the draft decisions for this team
    ;D por ejemplo, Derrick Johnson over T-Will. Then last year we could have taken BPA instead of Greenway, or traded up to get one of the several elite prospects, Leinart, Young, Vernon Davis, Mario Williams, Reggie Bush, D'Brickishaw Ferguson. Last year's draft was extremely strong in the top 5-10 picks, but not too strong in the mid first round.

But whatever, I'm still pretty happy about our past 2 drafts, except for Williamson. And the injury issues with James and Greenway... so I guess I'm really not that happy with them lol

vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman

Yes, the draft is a crap shoot.
    You might get a defensive end in the first round that is a complete bust.
    ie Demetrius Underwood.
    Or you may get a all pro tackle for years via free agency.
    ie. John Randle.
    Yes, we did have a great defensive line in the late 80's.
    The reason we were not able to rebuild it was that we did not have a first round pick in 89,90,91, or 92.
    See Herschel Walker trade.
    That had more to do than anything with our line not being as good as they once were.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Of course they don't myopically look at a couple of positions.
    There is always long- and short-term planning for the team.
    A covey of professionals working around the clock to build a team focuses on the team.

It would be fun to be a scout for the team, travel around and watch football.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni

"Prophet" wrote:
    Of course they don't myopically look at a couple of positions.
    There is always long- and short-term planning for the team.
    A covey of professionals working around the clock to build a team focuses on the team.

It would be fun to be a scout for the team, travel around and watch football.
    That would be awesome, and I would have to believe that though there may be focus on a specific area, they scout all positions, for many reasons.

It is important to know what may be out there for trade for example, or to know what teams that are ahead of you may or may not do.

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

Just a side note.
    John Randle wasn't drafted.
    He was an undrafted rookie free agent.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni

"Mr" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "TMAC604" wrote:

We had the best D-Line

I think we should only focus on draft rounds 2-4.

But really, it's not fair to compare late round sleepers, to first round busts. Because you consider the late rounds from 5-7 or undrafted, so at a minimum there are 96 guys per draft year. And first round a maximum of 32 guys. So there should be more late round/undrafted success stories.

But the draft is a gamble, thats what makes it so exciting. I also think it depends on the position of a player. Like a first round quarterback is always more of a risk than a first round running back or even linebacker. But I think that is also more of a mental thing, like with a running back they just have to know where to run, but a quarterback has to pay attention to so many little details, and faces much more complex coverages than they did in college.

I don't know if any of this post made sense, but I don't really even care. The draft is a gamble, and I like it when I win... and hate it when I lose. Fortunately that doesn't happen very often, which is why I should be making the draft decisions for this team
    ;D por ejemplo, Derrick Johnson over T-Will. Then last year we could have taken BPA instead of Greenway, or traded up to get one of the several elite prospects, Leinart, Young, Vernon Davis, Mario Williams, Reggie Bush, D'Brickishaw Ferguson. Last year's draft was extremely strong in the top 5-10 picks, but not too strong in the mid first round.

But whatever, I'm still pretty happy about our past 2 drafts, except for Williamson. And the injury issues with James and Greenway... so I guess I'm really not that happy with them lol
    Greenway's injury was post draft...not a reason to dislike his draft.

James, though injured before, was also post draft, so again, not a reason to dislike his draft