Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BootyCall is offline Waterboy

Just shut up and play

I can't be the only one who was a little bothered by watching AP march to sidelines yelling "bull***t" when Chilly sent in the punt team on 4th and 1.
    I can't be the only one who HATED watching AP make his way over to Chilly to give him his 2 cents worth.
    I can't be the only one who read this article on ESPN and cringed when I saw AP quoted as saying "talked coach into going for it."

I don't believe Chilly has lost the team but I think a different result in todays game would have started the unraveling.
    You have the offense losing confidence after Gus scores another 7 pts for the Pack.
    I see starters not even paying attention to him as he tries to rally them on the sidelines.
    I see our star player ranting at the coach on the sideline in a manner that tells me that Chilly isn't running a tight enough ship.
    I see after the game in an article that AP now believes he can influence Chilly's decision making process.

AP put us on his back and made sure we came out with a W today.
    I know he is a game changer and I love what he brings to the table.
    I don't like the interaction btw him and Chilly today though.
    AP is a fierce competitor but at the end of the day he is a player on the team.
    Coaches coach....players play.
    Reign them in Chilly.
    Tighten it down.

Tell your players who is in charge and to shut up and play.
    A missed field goal from Mason Crosby didn't buy you anymore respect in the eyes of your players.

A team that doesn't respect its headcoach isn't going to go far...I don't care what kind of talent is on the team.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcnorth/0-6-75/Peterson-redeems-himself.html?lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1

(Mod edit: please don't post in all caps, and that includes the thread title - josdin00)

jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman

Re: JUST SHUT UP AND PLAY

"BootyCall" wrote:
    I can't be the only one who was a little bothered by watching AP march to sidelines yelling "bull***t" when Chilly sent in the punt team on 4th and 1.
    I can't be the only one who HATED watching AP make his way over to Chilly to give him his 2 cents worth.
    I can't be the only one who read this article on ESPN and cringed when I saw AP quoted as saying "talked coach into going for it."

I don't believe Chilly has lost the team but I think a different result in todays game would have started the unraveling.
    You have the offense losing confidence after Gus scores another 7 pts for the Pack.
    I see starters not even paying attention to him as he tries to rally them on the sidelines.
    I see our star player ranting at the coach on the sideline in a manner that tells me that Chilly isn't running a tight enough ship.
    I see after the game in an article that AP now believes he can influence Chilly's decision making process.

AP put us on his back and made sure we came out with a W today.
    I know he is a game changer and I love what he brings to the table.
    I don't like the interaction btw him and Chilly today though.
    AP is a fierce competitor but at the end of the day he is a player on the team.
    Coaches coach....players play.
    Reign them in Chilly.
    Tighten it down.

Tell your players who is in charge and to shut up and play.
    A missed field goal from Mason Crosby didn't buy you anymore respect in the eyes of your players.

A team that doesn't respect its headcoach isn't going to go far...I don't care what kind of talent is on the team.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcnorth/0-6-75/Peterson-redeems-himself.html?lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1
    I think the fumble might have humbled AD enough already, so we shouldn't have to worry about his ego becoming a big problem.
    Personally I like the fact that AD went up to the coach and told him to feed him the rock.
    Chilly obviously had confidence that AD would make good on his word, and I think it shows that Chilly is adapting.
    That's a good sign IMO.
    AD showed the team what determination was today, and I hope that they all follow his lead.
    Rock out with your cock out!!!

BootyCall is offline Waterboy

Definitely good points...in fact I'm somewhat inclined to change my opinion however I'm still a little old school with my thinking in terms of coach/player relationships.

One thing I don't argue is AP's passion.
    He showed us his competitive spirit and played like a man possessed on that last drive.
    I do believe it is his desire to win that fueled him and this isn't indicative of an ego problem in my estimation.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

Are you kidding? I guarantee Chilly loved that.
    His most talented player on the team, the star of the Vikings, also happens to be the most passionate one.
    Peterson has a killer instinct, everytime he touches the ball he runs with fire in his eyes, it should be expected in a close emotional game between division rivals that he gets heated.
    Unlike some players who would let those emotions turn into mistakes (altho he did fumble), Peterson almost single handedly won us the game today on that last drive

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Peterson may me a good player, but the hero worship is a little old.
    There are other players on the team.
    It's not the Minnesota Peterson's.
    I hate to say it but he needs a game or two
    like the 49er game last year to get people to realize he's not all that.
    Crotch Sniffers are annoying.

Everybody was after Moss and looked at him the same way and thought he was god.
    Now he he's gone and Peterson will be too, if it's not to another team it will be with the team if they move.

One player won't win us a Super Bowl

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

i disagree.
    We need a guy on our team that can take over a game and pull out a win, a guy that can rally the team and motivate them to perform.
    Thats the captians job, but since Hutch is our Offensive Captain, he can't take over a game like Peterson can.
    IMO, thats exactly waht we needed.
    Did you notice Peterson's face after he scored the TD?
    he wasn't celebrating, or having fun, it was a look of pure intensity and desire to win.
    That is what we need, and thats how we win football games.

ragz is offline GM

well the problem is, a coach shouldnt have to be talked into anything.
    he should know what he wants to do, and make no qualms about it.
    of course peterson is gonna wanna go for it, thats a player who believes in himself.
    its childress's job to know that and make a decision he thinks is best for the team.
    the fact that he wasn't sure he wanted to challenge, or then go for it, or punt, just makes him look bad.
    so what should the team do the next time we have a 4th and one, look to peterson to see whether we should punt or not.
    in the 4 oclock games, i saw dungy not even hesitate and he has manning on his team who you know wants to go for every 4th down.
    actually i've see that many times over the years dungy has been in indy.
    forget what peterson did, and ask why childress had his punt team out there, had his hand on his challenge hanky, and was also listening to peterson yell at the same time?
    if he has no idea what he wants to do, why would the team believe in the decisions hes making.
    probably overblowing it a bit, but i think a fair point.
    "self improvement's masturbation.
    now self destruction" that's enlightenment

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

Well..

why is it bad when you have players that believe so much in the team/themselves that they rant (during a game) for the ball.. or to go for it on 4th..

i didn't see ANY player screaming at any coach because they make this play call and not another.. i saw players ranting to do more.. to take it on their backs.. THIS i think is a great thing to have on a team. to really have players that want to put the preasure on.. want to keep going. not just in their minds say.. we can do it.. but to actually put their necks out there.

Notice how upset at himself AP was!! notice that determination on his face when he had the chance to redeem himself~
    that attitude is what makes him a great compitator.. now.. do i think he had a hand in making chilly go for it.. i really doubt that..

1. Bchill was trying to get closer to the line.. he knew he'd toss that TO in there to get the right play called.. so he got EXTRA time by reviewing it. and set the play.. now.. maybe AP got the play changed a bit toward him..

2. Bchill was going to go for it.. how do i know?
    look at the %.. it was a smart move to punt.. they hadn't done diddly all day on O.. but he knows with our line, and our rb's that there is a HIGH % chance of gaining 1-2 yards.. and easier if he had gotten the ball spotted inches away instead of feet.

don't expect a coach to start dealing plays/calls just cause a player is hyped.. but.. them players damn well better be hyped up cause we'll need that if we want the title!!

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Wtf? How can you be mad a t a player being passionate enough about the outcome of the game to lobby to put the game away? It was forth and 1. We were averaging 4.5 yards a rush. He would have had the first down had he not broken the tackle and tried to break the run. We would have been able to seal the victory. What is wrong with you people? Players lobby to go for it all the damn time. Qbs talk coaches in to trusting them with the game on the line. I guess we should have punted and put the game into the hands of our AMAZING REALLY SPECIAL TEAMS because they have been so good at keeping returns out of the endzone. WTF? Are we all daft? I rather him caring about a MUST WIN game than laughing on the sideline. The reason the O didn't care to hear from GUS is because he was the won costing us the game!!!!!!!!!!!
    It's like me forgetting
    my presentation for a meeting at home and then talking to my team about the importance of focusing an dbeing prepared.

Coaches coach but you best beleive they listen to player feed back. They cannot watch every player on the defense to adjust what they are doing, they rely on player feed
    back and opinions. NO MAN IS AN ISLAND!!!!

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

You want guys that want the ball in crucial situations.... The coach has to feel it, and feed it when he feels its time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast