Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    drewlovs's Avatar
    drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    591

    Just one non-QB thread to discuss AD

    Let's forget the QB situation for just a sec, and talk about WHY on earth we are more willing to try to throw the ball than to just do some 3 and outs revolving around Peterson.

    Anyone have any theories as to WHY he doesn't get the ball 40 times a game? The whole "We couldn't get our run game working.." doesn't cut it with me. There is a conscious effort to win the games we are playing through the air, and I just don't get it.

    I can't even come up with a weird conspiracy theory for it, besides someone wants to make Frazier look bad.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

    ~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

  2. #2
    Abe Froman's Avatar
    Abe Froman is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by drewlovs View Post
    Let's forget the QB situation for just a sec, and talk about WHY on earth we are more willing to try to throw the ball than to just do some 3 and outs revolving around Peterson.

    Anyone have any theories as to WHY he doesn't get the ball 40 times a game? The whole "We couldn't get our run game working.." doesn't cut it with me. There is a conscious effort to win the games we are playing through the air, and I just don't get it.

    I can't even come up with a weird conspiracy theory for it, besides someone wants to make Frazier look bad.
    I'd like to see us try to use AP a little differently. Why not try to run him outside more often? Shovel passes? Jennings can block, Patterson, Simpson, and Webb each have the size and speed to be good down field blockers... We just seem to keep trying to run him straight up the middle and letting him get nailed by 2 LB's and the entire DLine. Also, I know AP hasn't been the best pass catcher in the world, but the guy has hands. Why not try a few more short yardage passing plays with him? Patterson too? Each of them have the talent to create something out of nothing with the ball in their hands. It's just so predictable and vannilla. Musgrave needs to go. I just don't get how we can continue to march the offense out there like this.
    Trying out some new forums since I got my ip banned on Purple Chat 2 weeks ago...

  3. #3
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,869
    Last year we didn't try to pretend that we could throw the ball so we focused on running it and regardless of the 8-9 men in the box we were able to counter it and have a pretty productive running offense.

    Since then we have been striving to get better at passing the ball and the more we fail the more we fail at both aspects. If you want to get the running game going this year, with the mess we have created, then your going to need to find a QB that can complete some passes. As easy as it was to game plan against us last year, it is much easier this year. I think most teams spend about 10 minutes briefing their players on the gameplan against the Vikings and then spend the rest of their practices preparing for the opponent after MN.

  4. #4
    drewlovs's Avatar
    drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Last year we didn't try to pretend that we could throw the ball so we focused on running it and regardless of the 8-9 men in the box we were able to counter it and have a pretty productive running offense.

    Since then we have been striving to get better at passing the ball and the more we fail the more we fail at both aspects. If you want to get the running game going this year, with the mess we have created, then your going to need to find a QB that can complete some passes. As easy as it was to game plan against us last year, it is much easier this year. I think most teams spend about 10 minutes briefing their players on the gameplan against the Vikings and then spend the rest of their practices preparing for the opponent after MN.
    This could be true, maybe the passing game being a non-factor DOES shut AP down...but how would you know? They have consistently given up on running very early in the game, instead focusing almost exclusively on passing.

    With any other back, I could understand...but doesn't AP deserve at least a single game to see if he can bust our offense out of its rut?
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

    ~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

  5. #5
    Caine's Avatar
    Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,139
    I think that the idiot OC calling every friggin play right up the gut may be a part of the problem. Then, when AP gets stuffed because he's facing 9-10 in the box Musgrave immediately goes to the pass - despite not actually having a PASSING GAME TO GO TO.

    Bottom line, Musgrave is an idiot...that;s why AP isn't sparking big.

    Caine

  6. #6
    smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Last year we didn't try to pretend that we could throw the ball so we focused on running it and regardless of the 8-9 men in the box we were able to counter it and have a pretty productive running offense.

    Since then we have been striving to get better at passing the ball and the more we fail the more we fail at both aspects. If you want to get the running game going this year, with the mess we have created, then your going to need to find a QB that can complete some passes. As easy as it was to game plan against us last year, it is much easier this year. I think most teams spend about 10 minutes briefing their players on the gameplan against the Vikings and then spend the rest of their practices preparing for the opponent after MN.
    10 minutes on the game plan then they go party. The Vikings have become a second bye week in their schedule.

  7. #7
    Minniman's Avatar
    Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,415
    Quote Originally Posted by drewlovs View Post
    Let's forget the QB situation for just a sec, and talk about WHY on earth we are more willing to try to throw the ball than to just do some 3 and outs revolving around Peterson.
    Detroit showed the NFL in week one that a defense cannot only stack the box to stop Peterson, it can send one or two blitzers to stuff every gap.

    If the ends maintain the edges, and blitzers shoot the gaps or overload, Peterson doesn't have a place to go. If AP goes out, defenders pressure the QB.

    Musgrave has done little to attack that defensive style, and the Vikings have not had a quarterback accurate enough and quick enough getting the ball out to exploit the defensive rush.

    Peterson is a great runner, but he is not superhuman. He is also not very good at blocking or catching the football.

  8. #8
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    Detroit showed the NFL in week one that a defense cannot only stack the box to stop Peterson, it can send one or two blitzers to stuff every gap.
    Actually GB stopped him last year in the playoff game thru discipline & staying in their lanes. I said back then that it was a copycat league & teams would follow suit & be able to slow AD down this year & it started week 1.

    It gets old watching AD hit the line & tip over while other RB's out there are powering thru defenders for at least some yardage. AD has got to be at or near the top for most times tackled for a loss.

    If your RB is repeatedly only gaining 2 yards a carry & getting shut down, why would you continue to try and whip a dead horse?

    I don't like Musgrave, but I hardly blame him for trying to pass when pounding the ball obviously wasn't working.
    Last edited by singersp; 10-23-2013 at 04:45 AM.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •