Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst ... 23456 14 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 423
  1. #31
    MaxVike's Avatar
    MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,561

    Re:Is it just me or is Edwards a real jackass

    Admittedly, I did not take the time to read all of the responses. My comments are brief...Edwards, like many pro athletes, needs to take a step back, realize that 1 in 10 of the people cheering for him is UNEMPLOYED. The fact that he feels "disadvantaged" because there is no CBA is bullshit. The fact that he plays for millions of dollars is a blessing. GFY Edwards, and, I don't mean Good For You.

    Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

  2. #32
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,604
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re:Is it just me or is Edwards a real jackass

    MaxVike wrote:
    Admittedly, I did not take the time to read all of the responses. My comments are brief...Edwards, like many pro athletes, needs to take a step back, realize that 1 in 10 of the people cheering for him is UNEMPLOYED. The fact that he feels "disadvantaged" because there is no CBA is bullshit. The fact that he plays for millions of dollars is a blessing. GFY Edwards, and, I don't mean Good For You.
    When the hell did he ever say he was disadvantaged?

    People need to take a step back and look at what was really said, not what they think that he said so that they can jump on a soap box.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  3. #33
    Caine's Avatar
    Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,139

    Re:Is it just me or is Edwards a real jackass

    NodakPaul wrote:
    ejmat wrote:
    NodakPaul wrote:
    ejmat wrote:
    Edwards IS a jackass. Not because he wants more money. Everybody wants more money. However, the fact he is using the excuse he has to feed his family. I make much less than 2.5 million and I am able to feed my family just fine.

    He is also a jackass because he is out of touch with the real world. He criticized Goodell for making more money than he does. Well that's the way most businesses operate. I hate Goodell but he is in fact, the Commissioner and Ray is in fact, a peon when it comes to the NFL. He is an average DE that benefits from having Jared Allen and Kevin Williams on the same line.

    Edwards is good at getting ot the run. He is also good at pressuring the QB. However I would like to see how he would do if you put a DE on the other side with his same skills. In other words put him on a team that doesn't have a Jared Allen and see how his sack total suffers.

    Sorry, Ray. I have no compassion for you. I don't blame you for doing what you're doing. Everyone should try to get all the money they can. However, opening your mouth when you are out of touch with reality is jackass behavior. STFU and enjoy the fact you get to play in the NFL.
    He didn't make the excuse that he has to feed his family. This is the exac quote:
    "It's frustrating because we play this game to take care of our family and we eventually are at the team's mercy of what they are going to do with us," Edwards said last weekend while in Garrison, Minn., for the Vikings Arctic Blast snowmobiling event.
    Nowhere was he implying that his kids were starving. He was saying that playing the game is his profession - and the expiration of the CBA took away his ability to play where he wanted for what he wanted.

    $2.5 million is a lot of money, but the opportunity cost is pretty high when you realize that he could have been making 3X that amount.

    I don't think he is out of touch with reality. I think he is one of the few players who is in touch with the reality of what the lack of a CBA is doing to the players who aren't superstars. Every single one of those players who are recieving 9 digit salaries should be as vocal and loud as Edwards.
    Here is where I disagree. Every workplace has it's share of rules. If an employee doesn't like the rules he has every right to leave. He is out of touch with reality when he criticizes the Commissioner because he makes more money than he does. He is also out of touch with reality when he is complaining about the CBA or lack there of. Things happen in life that are not fair or not to your liking. We either tolerate them or change them. He signed up for the NFL that had a CBA with a contract that expired in 2010. Too bad!

    It is true people have the right to voice their displeasure. I don't have a problem with that. However, I don't believe Edwards realizes how things work in the world as evidenced by his aforementioned comment. He states they "...are at the team's mercy". Well aren't I at my employer's mercy? Aren't you at the mercy of your employer? It's all over, not just in the NFL.
    You and I are not at the mercy of our employers - because unless you are in a very, very specialized field there are other comparable employment options for you out there. There are no other comparable options for Edwards. The CBA would have let him explore other teams - a lack of CBA means he can sign his tender or sit out for a year.

    Yes, that is part of what he signed up for, but that doesn't mean we should criticize him because he is vocal with his displeasure of how the NFLPA dropped the ball. The loss of the CBA benefited very few players while negatively affecting many. I personally don't think that the players who are being forced go through an extra year of restricted free agency should just "STFU and take their money" as another poster put it. They should be vocal. They should show their displeasure. They should put the pressure back on the NFLPA who tried to rally the NFL players using scare tactics, empty promises and veiled threats. That is part of enacting change.

    Here is another way to look at it. The average career for an NFL player is 3 1/2 years according to the NFLPA. If you are one of the players who manage to make it out of their rookie contract (which is a minority), then the average is 8 years. That means that Edwards and every other player who became an RFA when the CBA expired will be playing for a reduced salary for anywhere to 1/4 to 1/8 of his career. And while we think that $500k or $2.5 million is a lot of money - consider that that money usually has to last fifty to sixty years, and retired NFL players tend to have a lot of medical issues.

    Nobody is asking you to feel sorry for Edwards. I sure as hell don't. He chose this career, and he is rather successful by comparasion. But that doesn't mean that he is a Jackass just because he is upset about the CBA situation. We are here taking a couple of quotes (out of context - especially since he was answering direct questions about the CBA), and using them as fuel to attack his opinion. That, to me, is ridiculous.
    Since you've ignored my "angry" posts, I'll try the "fact based" version...

    1: You claim that the loss of the CBA benefitted few and hurt many...

    This is based upon what knowledge? What would the NFLPA have had to give up in order to keep th CBA in existence? Keep in mind that the Collective Bargaining Agreemnt is the contract under which a LOT of issues are spelled out. Anyone who has been a Union Member knows that labor contracts are pretty damn comprhensive.

    So, what was the "price" that the owners wanted in order to continue with the current Free Agency schedule? A reduction in the percentage of assets that comprise player salaries? A cap on rookie contracts? Greater freedom to test for substances? What?

    We don't know. What we can infer is that the NFLPA felt that the price of maintaining the opportunbity for Ray Edwards and handful of other players to become unrestricted Free Agents was too high. Or, the ownes felt it was too costly and simply killed it.

    And I'll bet Ray himself doesn't even know why...he just knows that HE doesn't get HIS...and that's all he cares about.

    2: You state that Ray's 2.5 million dollars has to last a long time...really?

    Th MEDIAN wage in the US is right around 40k annually. It would take the AVERAGE person 25 years to make 1 million dollars.

    That means that Ray could eaily stretch his 2.5 million to "make it". This also discounts all other moneys he has made or ever will make...you don't think former NFL'ers get opportunites the rest of us only dream about?

    So, the TRUTH of the matter is that Ray stands to make SIXTY-TWO AND A HALF TIMES the amount of money that the average fan makes...in one year. In this ONE year, he will make more money than the average fan will make in their ENTIRE working career!!!!!

    And that's just the cash. That doesn't count the benefits, perks, any edorsments, connections, etc.

    So, beyond GREED, what else could Ray possibly be motivated by here?

    Bottom line, Ray isn't seeing the whole picture...just his small part of it. He doesn't get WHY the NFLPA allowed the CBA to lapse, and he doesn't care. He doesn't get that he'll make more in one year than most people will in their entire lives, and he doesn't care...

    ..he has to feed his family...

    :huh:

    Caine

  4. #34
    ejmat is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    8,849

    Re:Is it just me or is Edwards a real jackass

    NodakPaul wrote:
    ejmat wrote:
    NodakPaul wrote:
    ejmat wrote:
    Edwards IS a jackass. Not because he wants more money. Everybody wants more money. However, the fact he is using the excuse he has to feed his family. I make much less than 2.5 million and I am able to feed my family just fine.

    He is also a jackass because he is out of touch with the real world. He criticized Goodell for making more money than he does. Well that's the way most businesses operate. I hate Goodell but he is in fact, the Commissioner and Ray is in fact, a peon when it comes to the NFL. He is an average DE that benefits from having Jared Allen and Kevin Williams on the same line.

    Edwards is good at getting ot the run. He is also good at pressuring the QB. However I would like to see how he would do if you put a DE on the other side with his same skills. In other words put him on a team that doesn't have a Jared Allen and see how his sack total suffers.

    Sorry, Ray. I have no compassion for you. I don't blame you for doing what you're doing. Everyone should try to get all the money they can. However, opening your mouth when you are out of touch with reality is jackass behavior. STFU and enjoy the fact you get to play in the NFL.
    He didn't make the excuse that he has to feed his family. This is the exac quote:
    "It's frustrating because we play this game to take care of our family and we eventually are at the team's mercy of what they are going to do with us," Edwards said last weekend while in Garrison, Minn., for the Vikings Arctic Blast snowmobiling event.
    Nowhere was he implying that his kids were starving. He was saying that playing the game is his profession - and the expiration of the CBA took away his ability to play where he wanted for what he wanted.

    $2.5 million is a lot of money, but the opportunity cost is pretty high when you realize that he could have been making 3X that amount.

    I don't think he is out of touch with reality. I think he is one of the few players who is in touch with the reality of what the lack of a CBA is doing to the players who aren't superstars. Every single one of those players who are recieving 9 digit salaries should be as vocal and loud as Edwards.
    Here is where I disagree. Every workplace has it's share of rules. If an employee doesn't like the rules he has every right to leave. He is out of touch with reality when he criticizes the Commissioner because he makes more money than he does. He is also out of touch with reality when he is complaining about the CBA or lack there of. Things happen in life that are not fair or not to your liking. We either tolerate them or change them. He signed up for the NFL that had a CBA with a contract that expired in 2010. Too bad!

    It is true people have the right to voice their displeasure. I don't have a problem with that. However, I don't believe Edwards realizes how things work in the world as evidenced by his aforementioned comment. He states they "...are at the team's mercy". Well aren't I at my employer's mercy? Aren't you at the mercy of your employer? It's all over, not just in the NFL.
    You and I are not at the mercy of our employers - because unless you are in a very, very specialized field there are other comparable employment options for you out there. There are no other comparable options for Edwards. The CBA would have let him explore other teams - a lack of CBA means he can sign his tender or sit out for a year.

    Yes, that is part of what he signed up for, but that doesn't mean we should criticize him because he is vocal with his displeasure of how the NFLPA dropped the ball. The loss of the CBA benefited very few players while negatively affecting many. I personally don't think that the players who are being forced go through an extra year of restricted free agency should just "STFU and take their money" as another poster put it. They should be vocal. They should show their displeasure. They should put the pressure back on the NFLPA who tried to rally the NFL players using scare tactics, empty promises and veiled threats. That is part of enacting change.

    Here is another way to look at it. The average career for an NFL player is 3 1/2 years according to the NFLPA. If you are one of the players who manage to make it out of their rookie contract (which is a minority), then the average is 8 years. That means that Edwards and every other player who became an RFA when the CBA expired will be playing for a reduced salary for anywhere to 1/4 to 1/8 of his career. And while we think that $500k or $2.5 million is a lot of money - consider that that money usually has to last fifty to sixty years, and retired NFL players tend to have a lot of medical issues.

    Nobody is asking you to feel sorry for Edwards. I sure as hell don't. He chose this career, and he is rather successful by comparasion. But that doesn't mean that he is a Jackass just because he is upset about the CBA situation. We are here taking a couple of quotes (out of context - especially since he was answering direct questions about the CBA), and using them as fuel to attack his opinion. That, to me, is ridiculous.
    Like I stated before Ray has the right to do what he wants. Whether or not I agree or disagree doesn't mean he is or isn't a jackass. To me, he is acting like a jackass.

    People are at the mercy of their employer while they work for that employer. You go by the employers rules or you get fired, laid off or you resign. If one doesn't like the rules that their employer poses they either tolerate it or leave. That is their options. Of course people have the right to bitch about it. Ray certainly is doing so. It doesn't mean he is right in what he is saying.

    I am not sure how the quote about Goodell is taken out of context. That quote tells me this person is way out of reality. He publically criticized Goodell for making more money than him. The people I manage are on the front lines to doing all the physical labor yet I still make more money than them. That is the way the world works. I have more responsibilities just like Goodell has more responsibilities than Edwards.

    Now if he wants to gripe to the NFLPA go ahead and do so. No one is stopping him. However, he did mention he had to take care of his family. That, to me implies he is worried about making enough to do just that. As many other posters have said if he can't live off of the $2.5M this year, all the money he has made previously and any money he can make for the rest of his career than I have no pitty for him. None! Sure they have medical bills but just because NFL players leave the game of football after 3-5 years doesn't mean they can't work somewhere else. If they are unwilling to take a job that pays what the Average american makes than that is on them. His choice, not mine, That is life. How about those elderly people that make $300 a month with medical expenses? Some that are far worse than Edwards'. What about the veterans that couldn't work anymore and got absolutely nothing from the Government after they fought for their country? Ask them how they feel about Edwards' situation.

    Listen, you and I agree on a lot of things. I always respect your opinion. I'm not going to say you are wrong for your opinion. What I will say is Edwards is acting like a jackass with or without the CBA ordeal. He has made comments before this to where I questioned his reality.

  5. #35
    MaxVike's Avatar
    MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,561

    Re:Is it just me or is Edwards a real jackass

    NodakPaul wrote:
    MaxVike wrote:
    Admittedly, I did not take the time to read all of the responses. My comments are brief...Edwards, like many pro athletes, needs to take a step back, realize that 1 in 10 of the people cheering for him is UNEMPLOYED. The fact that he feels "disadvantaged" because there is no CBA is bullshit. The fact that he plays for millions of dollars is a blessing. GFY Edwards, and, I don't mean Good For You.
    When the hell did he ever say he was disadvantaged?

    People need to take a step back and look at what was really said, not what they think that he said so that they can jump on a soap box.
    ND: perhaps this particular editorialized article didn't directly quote the word "disadvantaged," I will admit the word is mine. I have heard Edwards on Sirius and he (and others) has consistently expressed his issue re: being an RFA vs being a UFA. He is clearly implying that because the CBA expired, he has no leverage, which, I infer to mean he is implying being disadvantaged...an obvious, accurate, and appropriate link IMO. Whether or not he is correct is a moot point to me, some things, like complaining about salaries when the Country has a 10% unemployment rate is just bad taste. I point out the same thing to people on my employees.

    I stand by my comment and add....."boofricketyhoo Mr Edwards."

    Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

  6. #36
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,604
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re:Is it just me or is Edwards a real jackass

    Caine wrote:
    Bottom line, Ray isn't seeing the whole picture...just his small part of it. He doesn't get WHY the NFLPA allowed the CBA to lapse, and he doesn't care. He doesn't get that he'll make more in one year than most people will in their entire lives, and he doesn't care...
    Cutting out most of the post because it is simply getting too long. IMHO the people critisizing Edwards aren't seeing the whole picture either, just their small part of it. You are making sweeping assumptions about what Edwards does and doesn't know, and what he does and doesn't care about. You are also make broad assumptions about what is available for the average NFL player after career (when in fact there is little available for most of them unless they were a star. And even then it is limited unless they were a superstar.)

    So in the end we can agree to disagree I guess. If you only see this as Edwards complaining about his salary, then I can see why you would think he is a jackass. I think it is a whole lot more than that, and I am glad he is being vocal about it.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  7. #37
    Prophet's Avatar
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    17,388

    Re:Is it just me or is Edwards a real jackass

    My vote goes for jackass. Then again, it is difficult for most professional athletes to not be a jackass. They have been treated like royalty in high school, college, and now the pros. They get paid exorbitant salaries to play a game and the idiot fans support their assholish behaviors. So, yes, he's an asshole, a jackass, an idiot, etc.

    Anyone that gets paid millions to play a game and doesn't realize how fortunate they are to be in that position is a jackass. I'm sure with his educational background he could land a $25K job in the free market, no problem. Fuck them all. Excuse me while I order a jersey from the NFL.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  8. #38
    ejmat is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    8,849

    Re:Is it just me or is Edwards a real jackass

    NodakPaul wrote:
    Caine wrote:
    Bottom line, Ray isn't seeing the whole picture...just his small part of it. He doesn't get WHY the NFLPA allowed the CBA to lapse, and he doesn't care. He doesn't get that he'll make more in one year than most people will in their entire lives, and he doesn't care...
    Cutting out most of the post because it is simply getting too long. IMHO the people critisizing Edwards aren't seeing the whole picture either, just their small part of it. You are making sweeping assumptions about what Edwards does and doesn't know, and what he does and doesn't care about. You are also make broad assumptions about what is available for the average NFL player after career (when in fact there is little available for most of them unless they were a star. And even then it is limited unless they were a superstar.)

    So in the end we can agree to disagree I guess. If you only see this as Edwards complaining about his salary, then I can see why you would think he is a jackass. I think it is a whole lot more than that, and I am glad he is being vocal about it.
    What is he really complaining about then? What is the big picture here that you are referring to? I think I may be missing something. This is how I see it and let me know if you have more.

    1) Ray complained because he is only due to make $2.5M and criticized Goodell for making $9M as a Commissioner - My response to that is he is out of touch with reality because that is how most organizations work. Boo-freaking-hoo

    2) Ray is complaining because he can't be an UFA due to the CBA expiring - My take is boo hoo, sorry to be you Ray. If Ray has a problem with the Union that is supporting the players complain to them, tolerate it or find another job. Those are HIS choices. These were the agreements set forth between the NFLPA and the NFL. He can be vocal about it. That's fine. However, he is also holding out until the last possible day to sign his tender. He is refusing to go to team functions as well. So, in essence isn't that holding it against the Vikings? The team that really has nothing to do with the agreement. Do you really believe that the NFLPA really gives a frog's fat ass that he holds out? As a Union, they don't!

    My opinion on Edwards has been iffy for a while. He has said things in the past that are just ridiculous. Such as the Goodell thing. Such as he will break the sack record. Such as the fact he was suspended 4 games a couple of years ago and that hurt the team going for a playoff run.

    I think Ray is a good player. He's a little above average. But some of the things that do come out of his mouth leaves me scratching my head sometimes. My vote will stay that Edwards is a jackass!

  9. #39
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re:Is it just me or is Edwards a real jackass

    bsmithberkley wrote:
    12purplepride28 wrote:
    Edwards Grips

    This guy is always whining about something. Look, I know you need to get payed, but don't give some bull about "needing to feed your family" and trying to "survive" because no ones buying it. Also, I don't have the link or exact quote, but earlier this year he was complaining that Goodell was just a pen pusher and he was making more than the players who were "out there risking their lives". Now I'm by no means a Goodell supporter (I hate him) but Edwards is out of line here. I would trade him right now for a 2nd or even 3rd rounder. I don't someone whos going to be whining about this stuff and acting like they are struggling, or even are deserving for a huge pay day, on the team. He's just really pissing me off. Below is a link to purple jesus diaries, just a funny article about edwards.

    PJD Edwards
    I gotta think that Montgomery was brought in to give Edwards the message he is replaceable. Edwards could be part of some draft day or post draft trade action.

    Only bad thing is our Right DE side has been top 2 or 3 against therun last few years. He does not get the sacks but he smashes the run. Of course it helps to have williams to his right and Winfield to his left!
    Couple of thoughts....He plays LDE, not RDE and he beat or tied our RDE in almost every statistical catagory this year.

    As to Whinny, how many games was he out there this year? Not enough to warrant saying he is the reason that sides holds up against the run so well.

    On a side note. I for one, don't want my CB's known for how well they support the run. I want CB's who are known for how well they stop the pass.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  10. #40
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re:Is it just me or is Edwards a real jackass

    Caine wrote:
    12purplepride28 wrote:
    ya but was his performance a fluke or a sign of things to come. I think based on his overall year it was a fluke. Hopefully I'm wrong
    Edward's performance wasn't a "fluke" per se, it was the result of being the fourth man on a line with 3 Pro Bowlers.

    What Edwards seems to forget is that he has the LUXURY of playing on a line with Kevin Williams, Pat Williams, and Jared Allen. Each ONE of those guys is a dominant player...we're fortunate to have all three of them.

    Edwards, meanwhile, gets to LOOK like a dominant player because Offensive Lines are so busy trying to stop th other three, that Edwards gets singled up on Right Tackles all day long. And I'll bet you they sometimes don't even put the Tackle on him, but bring a TE or a back to chip on him instead.

    If Edwards were dominant, teams would crap themselves trying to stop our line. They struggle as it is, but the fact that they can manage us shows ME that Edwards is not a huge impact guy. He's GOOD, but not GREAT. And, he's VERY replaceable. We can plug just about ANY moderately athletic DE into that 4th slot and they will do well...because of Williams, Williams, and Allen.

    So Ray Edwards should STFU and enjoy the fact that when he finally is a UFA, his price will artificially elevate - and I'm betting WE won't be signing him.

    Caine
    And yet, Ray was beating double teams in the playoffs and our RDE was getting manhandled by a single tackle.

    We all might as well face the facts, the kid is just starting to come into his own and he is doing that while playing out of position.

    To sit here and keep saying he is riding the coat tails of Phat Pat (took alot of reps off/Maybe he was helping from the sidelines), K-will (disappeared in the playoffs along with JA) is kindof ignoring the actual facts about what was going on.

    Again, go back and watch the games, especially late in the season and into the playoffs. On almost every play the RT was getting help from the TE and Ray was right up there in stats with the best DE's in the league.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst ... 23456 14 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Terrell Owens Accosted by N-Word-Hurling Jackass
    By Culpepper_4717 in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-18-2011, 09:12 PM
  2. Jackass detained for inert grenade at airport
    By BadlandsVikings in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-16-2009, 05:41 PM
  3. The Original Jackass
    By Prophet in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-13-2007, 05:58 PM
  4. A real friend, a real American.
    By marcosMN in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-04-2006, 06:41 PM
  5. TOs a jackass, but how about keyshawn........
    By poult in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-02-2004, 05:06 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •