Page 11 of 43 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re:Is it just me or is Edwards a real jackass

PackSux! wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    PackSux! wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    ejmat wrote:
    jmcdon00 wrote:
    BloodyHorns82 wrote:
    Ray is not getting paid what he is worth and is upset because of it. He knows it, the Vikings know it, and we know it.

Whining and pouting about it doesn't make him a jackass IMO. It certainly isn't the classy road...but than again, we all know what they say about the squeaky wheel.
    Your last point is spot on. Look at TO, Cutler, Lance Briggs. All were under contract but because they made noise they each got what they wanted.
    This is true. I can't and won't argue it. And you are right in that football is a business.

However, I will not agree that Ray deserves more money. The guy is set to make $2.5M for one year. It isn't like he has proven to be a superstar here. He has proven to be a good DE. Nothing more and nothing less. He came though in the playoffs and I applaud him for that. When he puts together a full season of coming through then maybe I will say he deserves to make more.

As of now because he was tendered won't that make him one of the top paid DEs? I know there's Peppers, Allen and guys like that who get paid more. But with the 1st round tender I believe he would fall into a "top paid" category for his position. I am not sure exactly how that works. Even if it is the average that is exactly where Ray deserves to be. Maybe a little more but not much.

If the guy doesn't want to be a Viking that's fine. Again, there's the CFL and the UFL. Go play there. He has choices.
    I have been trying to stay out of this mess, however, I just gotta chime in here.

How much more "Proven" can a guy get? He has improved each year of his "First" contract. He, like all players of his caliber expected to get "Paid" to a value commensurate with that improvement. Additionally, as I pointed out, he is coming off his "First" contract so that means he is still learning/growing as a NFL player and if everything tracks with the way things work, he will get better.

It isn't like he has proven to be a superstar here. He has proven to be a good DE. Nothing more and nothing less. He came though in the playoffs and I applaud him for that. When he puts together a full season of coming through then maybe I will say he deserves to make more.
    Its as if you think that he should have been playing at a HOF level from jump street with comments like that.

By the way, did you happen to see his stats compared to our "Proven" DE this year? Tied or beat him in every statistical catagory except sacks.....

Again, not sure whay your metric is for "Proven".

On a side note, I wonder how many of you would be willing to accept a pay increase that was much lower that you expected based on historical precidence set for your skill set.

Just because the cat is talking "Millions" instead of "Cents" doesn't mean it isn't a significant issue for him.

By the way, I beeeyatched when I got a $2 an hour raise this year instead of what I expected. Guess what, I got what I expected, with an apology.
    How you can even compare Edwards to Allen is beyond me. Another spot where stats dont mean shit. You seem to have forgot about Allen being double and triple teamed all game, which led to Edwards being singled up all game during every game. Now looking at it that way I dont feel as if Edwards should get a cent more then what he will get, he didnt play all that good every game.

Alot of other defensive ends could come in and have the same impact as Edwards has given us with the line we have assembled.
    Problem is, he WASN'T double teamed in the playoffs. Go back and watch the games. He was pretty much handled by the T alone in most cases. Ray on the other hand, had the TE over there helping him out.

As to how well he played every game. At some point he must have or he wouldn't have gotten all the stats now would he?

Look, I'm in no way saying that Ray is the same kindof player JA is. He still has some room to grow when it comes to getting to that next level. I'm just saying that he isn't a slab of meat that is out there just eating up reps.

He was a force during the season and that carried into the playoffs. Just because he didn't get as many "Sacks" as JA doesn't take that away.
    He is a good player on a great defensive line and nothing more.
    I just don't agree with that. I think he is an above average player on a great defensive line, who by the way, will only get better.

Again, lets not forget that he hasn't even reached his prime yet.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Marrdro wrote:
    ejmat wrote:
    If I recall correctly the year JT was with the Redskins he was injured so we can't honestly make an assessment that he is old and washed up by that. You tried to make the same assessment with Favre last year and how did that assessment hold true? JT may be washed up. I don't know. But the Jets seem to think he's not. The fact he knows the game so well and can act as that on the field leader is why the Jets gave him the deal he got. Is Ray a proven leader? Has Ray ever been a top sack artist? Did you ever think that JT was doubled and tripled too and still had the sack count he did. The guy is a proven superstar and leader. He is getting paid as that whether he is older or not. That is how the NFL works.
    This is exactly why I tried to stay out of this........LOL

He was injured. Guess what, its because he is old. Guess what, because he was old, and because he got injured, and because he didn't product at market value, he is getting below market value.

Now to Allen. He is quite simply a beast. He still has better stats than RE even though he is doubled and tripled far more often. Hurries, passes knocked down, QB touches all mean something and I'm not discounting that. But remember those stats you are posting are unofficial. Just remember that a QB can still get a pass completed with all the above. Where he can't complete a pass is with a sack. Who has more, JA or RE? How do you explain the fact JA still gets the sack count he does even though he is doubled and tripled far more than RE?

How has Ray been up there in stats for 2 years? You are taking unofficial stats and even if they are true you are forgetting the facts of he was not being double and triple teamed and the other DE you are trying to discredit was. Allen still beat him statistically in 2008 and when it comes down to it in 2009 as well. Just because you believe Edwards was double and triple teamed for one game doesn't talk about the 2 seasons. Ray benefited from having 3 pro bowl lineman working with him.
    Show me were I said he wasn't a beast......

Other things you forgot to mention, "Getting beat upfield on a running play when he is rushing the QB". This happened alot last year and the year before. I don't beeeyyatch about it to much cause he is there to rush the QB, thats the RDE job. The LDE's job is to contain the run first. Thats the way it works in the NFL.

On a side note, 2008 stats'
    QB hits JA 23 Ray 13
    QB Pressures JA 35 Ray 29
    Batted Passes JA 3 Ray 5
    Missed Tackles JA 4 Ray 3
    Sacks JA 15 Ray 5
    Pro Football Focus 4-3 DE stats

Not bad numbers for a cat on the learn as well as in a position were rushing the QB is his second job and stopping the run is his first job.

Judging by the improvement from 2008 to 2009, I can't wait to see what he does in 2010.
    Show me where I said that you didn't say JA was a beast :P . That was simply my statement about JA. I wasn't questioning you there.

They aren't bad numbers Marrdro but again the point is RE is not as good as a top tier DE and in fact he is considered average to a little above average. The Vikings gave him a 1st round tender meaning they are willing to pay him the market value this year. You keep bringing salaries up from other years and eras. It doesn't matter. A couple of years ago the Vikings overpaid Bobby Wade because of the market value.

It is comparable to the housing market. If I paid 400K for a house in 2007 it may have depreciated in value to 300K by 2010. It is the same house and maybe even upgraded since 2007 however the market value is lower in 2010 than it was in 2007. It is the market and economics of the game work.

ejmat wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    ejmat wrote:
    If I recall correctly the year JT was with the Redskins he was injured so we can't honestly make an assessment that he is old and washed up by that. You tried to make the same assessment with Favre last year and how did that assessment hold true? JT may be washed up. I don't know. But the Jets seem to think he's not. The fact he knows the game so well and can act as that on the field leader is why the Jets gave him the deal he got. Is Ray a proven leader? Has Ray ever been a top sack artist? Did you ever think that JT was doubled and tripled too and still had the sack count he did. The guy is a proven superstar and leader. He is getting paid as that whether he is older or not. That is how the NFL works.

He was injured. Guess what, its because he is old. Guess what, because he was old, and because he got injured, and because he didn't product at market value, he is getting below market value.

Now to Allen. He is quite simply a beast. He still has better stats than RE even though he is doubled and tripled far more often. Hurries, passes knocked down, QB touches all mean something and I'm not discounting that. But remember those stats you are posting are unofficial. Just remember that a QB can still get a pass completed with all the above. Where he can't complete a pass is with a sack. Who has more, JA or RE? How do you explain the fact JA still gets the sack count he does even though he is doubled and tripled far more than RE?

How has Ray been up there in stats for 2 years? You are taking unofficial stats and even if they are true you are forgetting the facts of he was not being double and triple teamed and the other DE you are trying to discredit was. Allen still beat him statistically in 2008 and when it comes down to it in 2009 as well. Just because you believe Edwards was double and triple teamed for one game doesn't talk about the 2 seasons. Ray benefited from having 3 pro bowl lineman working with him.

Other things you forgot to mention, "Getting beat upfield on a running play when he is rushing the QB". This happened alot last year and the year before. I don't beeeyyatch about it to much cause he is there to rush the QB, thats the RDE job. The LDE's job is to contain the run first. Thats the way it works in the NFL.

QB hits JA 23 Ray 13
    Batted Passes JA 3 Ray 5
    Sacks JA 15 Ray 5

Not bad numbers for a cat on the learn as well as in a position were rushing the QB is his second job and stopping the run is his first job.

Judging by the improvement from 2008 to 2009, I can't wait to see what he does in 2010.
    Show me where I said that you didn't say JA was a beast :P . That was simply my statement about JA. I wasn't questioning you there.

They aren't bad numbers Marrdro but again the point is RE is not as good as a top tier DE and in fact he is considered average to a little above average. The Vikings gave him a 1st round tender meaning they are willing to pay him the market value this year. You keep bringing salaries up from other years and eras. It doesn't matter. A couple of years ago the Vikings overpaid Bobby Wade because of the market value.

It is comparable to the housing market. If I paid 400K for a house in 2007 it may have depreciated in value to 300K by 2010. It is the same house and maybe even upgraded since 2007 however the market value is lower in 2010 than it was in 2007. It is the market and economics of the game work.
    Nice try with the Housing comparison.

I am sure there is some way I could turn that around and say something about the difference between one market drying up based on actual market values declining and the other market being affected by stupidit, cause that is exactly what happened when it comes to the players and why they are in the mess they are in right now.

Course, I'm not smart enough (remember, I was hesitant to even get into this) to do that, but I will tell you this, in the housing market, the money isn't there to get loans anymore. In the DE market, the money is still there, the owners are just keeping more of it cause the players weren't smart enough to keep them from swindling them out of it.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro wrote:
    ejmat wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    ejmat wrote:

QB hits JA 23 Ray 13
    Batted Passes JA 3 Ray 5
    Sacks JA 15 Ray 5

Nice try with the Housing comparison.

I am sure there is some way I could turn that around and say something about the difference between one market drying up based on actual market values declining and the other market being affected by stupidit, cause that is exactly what happened when it comes to the players and why they are in the mess they are in right now.

Course, I'm not smart enough (remember, I was hesitant to even get into this) to do that, but I will tell you this, in the housing market, the money isn't there to get loans anymore. In the DE market, the money is still there, the owners are just keeping more of it cause the players weren't smart enough to keep them from swindling them out of it.
    In other words the market is down for someone like Edwards. You can turn it, slice it, twist it anyway you want. A market is a market regardless. Last year his market value may or may not have been more. This year it isn't. If it was I am sure the Vikings would have offered him the salary and extension he would want. Maybe if Ray shut's up and worries about playing football this year his market value will go up next year.

Here's the thing. There seemed to be only one team interested in Ray. It was the Eagles. However, at least to this point they didn't go near him with the 1st round tender. I've heard of no offers or any other interest. If there were more teams interested maybe the price goes up. Maybe his salary goes up. That is the way the NFL works. The more interest, the more money. If the money is still there then he would most likely be offered more.

I can't believe you are blaming players now. If the players are now at fault then why should Edwards (a player) be pissed? After all they all voted for the NFLPA to vouch for them. If they were too young to be a part of that vote they still signed the contract on the dotted line to be a part of that union. Now he needs to live with it or go seek other employment.

ejmat wrote:
    Here's the thing. There seemed to be only one team interested in Ray. It was the Eagles. However, at least to this point they didn't go near him with the 1st round tender. I've heard of no offers or any other interest. If there were more teams interested maybe the price goes up. Maybe his salary goes up. That is the way the NFL works. The more interest, the more money. If the money is still there then he would most likely be offered more.
    Truth of the matter is, there was very little interest paid by any team with respect to any of the first year contract guys. Its almost like some of our conspiracy cats on here should be chanting how all the owners got together and said, lets keep them all at this low scale so that we can get some reps out of them at a bargain basement discount.

Trust me, if this was in the old agreement arena, Ray would have had several teams trying to sign him.

I can't believe you are blaming players now. If the players are now at fault then why should Edwards (a player) be pissed? After all they all voted for the NFLPA to vouch for them. If they were too young to be a part of that vote they still signed the contract on the dotted line to be a part of that union. Now he needs to live with it or go seek other employment.
    Because this decision was made by a group of players long before he was part of the process.

Marrdro wrote:
    ejmat wrote:
    Truth of the matter is, there was very little interest paid by any team with respect to any of the first year contract guys. Its almost like some of our conspiracy cats on here should be chanting how all the owners got together and said, lets keep them all at this low scale so that we can get some reps out of them at a bargain basement discount.

Trust me, if this was in the old agreement arena, Ray would have had several teams trying to sign him.

Because this decision was made by a group of players long before he was part of the process.

That is the truth and again why I say the market is low right now. I couldn't have worded it better myself. I don't know about the conspiracy thing but maybe it's true. Whether it is or isn't the market for Ray is what it is and the salary he was offered is what it should be.

Because this decision was made by a group of players long before he was part of the process
    It was and he still signed a contract knowing this. Again, no one held a gun to his head telling him to sign a contract with the NFL. He chose to play for the NFL and have the NFLPA represent him. Therefore, who's fault is it? NFLPA? Maybe. Who signed the contract? Ray. He wasn't complaining when he signed the contract. He needs to live with the rules or go elsewhere. What happened in previous years means nothing for what is happening now. He is still making damn good money. He still received a 127% raise from last year. I know you like to throw those unofficial stats out so go back and look at them. Are those stats from 2009 127% better than what he did in 2008?

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer

Marrdro wrote:
    PackSux! wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    PackSux! wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    ejmat wrote:
    jmcdon00 wrote:
    BloodyHorns82 wrote:
    Ray is not getting paid what he is worth and is upset because of it. He knows it, the Vikings know it, and we know it.

Whining and pouting about it doesn't make him a jackass IMO. It certainly isn't the classy road...but than again, we all know what they say about the squeaky wheel.
    Your last point is spot on. Look at TO, Cutler, Lance Briggs. All were under contract but because they made noise they each got what they wanted.
    This is true. I can't and won't argue it. And you are right in that football is a business.

However, I will not agree that Ray deserves more money. The guy is set to make $2.5M for one year. It isn't like he has proven to be a superstar here. He has proven to be a good DE. Nothing more and nothing less. He came though in the playoffs and I applaud him for that. When he puts together a full season of coming through then maybe I will say he deserves to make more.

As of now because he was tendered won't that make him one of the top paid DEs? I know there's Peppers, Allen and guys like that who get paid more. But with the 1st round tender I believe he would fall into a "top paid" category for his position. I am not sure exactly how that works. Even if it is the average that is exactly where Ray deserves to be. Maybe a little more but not much.

If the guy doesn't want to be a Viking that's fine. Again, there's the CFL and the UFL. Go play there. He has choices.
    I have been trying to stay out of this mess, however, I just gotta chime in here.

How much more "Proven" can a guy get? He has improved each year of his "First" contract. He, like all players of his caliber expected to get "Paid" to a value commensurate with that improvement. Additionally, as I pointed out, he is coming off his "First" contract so that means he is still learning/growing as a NFL player and if everything tracks with the way things work, he will get better.

It isn't like he has proven to be a superstar here. He has proven to be a good DE. Nothing more and nothing less. He came though in the playoffs and I applaud him for that. When he puts together a full season of coming through then maybe I will say he deserves to make more.
    Its as if you think that he should have been playing at a HOF level from jump street with comments like that.

By the way, did you happen to see his stats compared to our "Proven" DE this year? Tied or beat him in every statistical catagory except sacks.....

Again, not sure whay your metric is for "Proven".

On a side note, I wonder how many of you would be willing to accept a pay increase that was much lower that you expected based on historical precidence set for your skill set.

Just because the cat is talking "Millions" instead of "Cents" doesn't mean it isn't a significant issue for him.

By the way, I beeeyatched when I got a $2 an hour raise this year instead of what I expected. Guess what, I got what I expected, with an apology.
    How you can even compare Edwards to Allen is beyond me. Another spot where stats dont mean shit. You seem to have forgot about Allen being double and triple teamed all game, which led to Edwards being singled up all game during every game. Now looking at it that way I dont feel as if Edwards should get a cent more then what he will get, he didnt play all that good every game.

Alot of other defensive ends could come in and have the same impact as Edwards has given us with the line we have assembled.
    Problem is, he WASN'T double teamed in the playoffs. Go back and watch the games. He was pretty much handled by the T alone in most cases. Ray on the other hand, had the TE over there helping him out.

As to how well he played every game. At some point he must have or he wouldn't have gotten all the stats now would he?

Look, I'm in no way saying that Ray is the same kindof player JA is. He still has some room to grow when it comes to getting to that next level. I'm just saying that he isn't a slab of meat that is out there just eating up reps.

He was a force during the season and that carried into the playoffs. Just because he didn't get as many "Sacks" as JA doesn't take that away.
    He is a good player on a great defensive line and nothing more.
    I just don't agree with that. I think he is an above average player on a great defensive line, who by the way, will only get better.

Again, lets not forget that he hasn't even reached his prime yet.
    Well I see Good as the same as above average so I guess we are on the same page with Edwards. I agree the best is yet to come as Edwards is a young player and I hope the Vikings can come up with some sort contract agreement.

I just dont want to see it get inflated by free agency as that was the trend for many years there, look at what we have spent bringing in some free agents. Free agency has actually hurt the league in the sense that the price teams had to pay for players that in some cases are not proven(Bernard Berrian). Way to many young unproven players were getting paid an assload of money just for having a good year that just so happened to be the final year of their existing deal. The famous Contract Year.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

ejmat wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    ejmat wrote:

That is the truth and again why I say the market is low right now. I couldn't have worded it better myself. I don't know about the conspiracy thing but maybe it's true. Whether it is or isn't the market for Ray is what it is and the salary he was offered is what it should be.

Because this decision was made by a group of players long before he was part of the process
    It was and he still signed a contract knowing this. Again, no one held a gun to his head telling him to sign a contract with the NFL. He chose to play for the NFL and have the NFLPA represent him. Therefore, who's fault is it? NFLPA? Maybe. Who signed the contract? Ray. He wasn't complaining when he signed the contract. He needs to live with the rules or go elsewhere. What happened in previous years means nothing for what is happening now. He is still making damn good money. He still received a 127% raise from last year. I know you like to throw those unofficial stats out so go back and look at them. Are those stats from 2009 127% better than what he did in 2008?
    Interesting you ask that.

Since he signed a 4 year deal, I don't think its fair to only look at the last year, look at all of them.

First three seasons, he averaged:
    31 tackles
    4.3 sacks

This season he got 48 tackles and 8.5 sacks, thats a 35% increase in tackles and a 97% increase in tackles based on his average over three years.

However, they gave him the contract based on him being a rookie, and his success thus far, and on his rookie season he got, 10 tackles and 3 sacks in 15 games

So yes, his production has increased over 127%

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

http://www.macsfootballblog.com/2010/03/2010-restricted-free-agent-tender.html

Some other [strike]players[/strike]jackasses that I noticed havn't signed there offer sheets either(just a few names I recognized, there are many more).

Le'Ron McClain, FB (3): First-round*, $2.396M
    Mark Clayton, WR (5): Second-round, $1.809M
    Miles Austin, WR (4): First- and third-round*, $3.168M
    Elvis Dumervil, DE/LB (4): First- and third-round*, $3.168M
    Ronnie Brown, RB (5): First-round, $3.969M (110% of 2009 base salary)
    Jammal Brown, OT (5): First- and third-round*, $3.619M (110% of 2009 base salary)
    Lance Moore, WR (4): Second-round*, $1.759M
    Vincent Jackson, WR (5): First- and third-round*, $3.268M
    Cadillac Williams, RB (5): Original round, $2.303M (2nd round comp.)

These players were either signed to long term deal or traded. Clearly the amounts they were tendered at were not there true market value.

Brandon Marshall, WR (4): First-round*, $2.521M
    Traded to Dolphins, Contract 4 years 47.5million

Nick Collins, S (5): First- and third-round*, $3.349M (110% of 2009 base salary)
    Signed a 3 year 23.4million contract

DeMeco Ryans, LB (4): First- and third-round*, $3.168M
    Signed 6 year 48million offer

Leonard Weaver, FB (5): Second-round*, $1.809M
    Signed 3 year 11million

Charlie Whitehurst, QB (4): Original round, $1.176M (3rd round)
    Traded, signed 2 year 8million(10million max)

Marrdro wrote:
    ejmat wrote:

There's no conspiracy. It's just the way the system is set up.

From any Teams' perspective, why would they extend these guys that are worth a lot of money if they don't have to? Make the player carry the risk of injury or drop in performance for another year while you pay them a relatively low amount.

The fact is that no other team is going to want to pay a good but not elite player market value and give up a first round pick for him, so the tender is safe. Not because of some back room deal, but because it doesn't make sense for the organization. You might do it for a Jared Allen, because you don't have many chances to acquire a player that good.

For Ray, being paid $2.5 million is low. His market value as an unrestricted free agent would probably be around $7 million/year based on some recent guys with not identical but similar production (Justin Smith (SF), Antwan Odom (CIN), and Chris Canty (NYG) are the guys I'm thinking of). Maybe more important for him, he would be looking at guaranteed money in the $10-20 million range. But what can he do about it? Nothing really.

So the Vikings get a steal this year. They got a steal on Sidney Rice last year and will this year too. That's how young players not picked in the top 10 are paid.

And Ray gets to sit out and wait to protest, but in the end he'll get paid less than his performance indicates this season and probably get an extension for big money sometime in the next year.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

Page 11 of 43 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast