Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Just like home (Herrera and World Cup)

"Benet" wrote:
    "AWZeus" wrote:
    I hardly think it's fair to say "soccer is all they have" about Brazil. That might be the typically myopic America-centric view people in the USA seem to have, but that's just silly silly silly in reality.

What else does Brazil have?

Hot women. Lots and lots of hot women with a more progressive moral code, if you follow my drift.

And Carnivale! Now that's a party!

And beach volleyball! Which is basically hot Brazilian women in tiny swimsuits playing volleyball in the sand while Carnivale is playing out in the stands.

Soccer is all they have??

I think NOT!

=Z=
    With all respect mate, I'd hardly say Brazil is a 24 hour Carnivale with hot women roaming the streets looking for easy sex and beach dates, which is the image you paint. It's a country with huge problems with gangs, violent crime, crippling poverty and woeful literacy rates. The point in V-Unit's post, and what I tried to expand upon, is the fact that the World Cup is a unifying force the countries involved. Nations come together to watch their representatives in one of the biggest sporting spectacles in the world, and the spotlight shines on all the nations involved regardless of size, population, culture, colour, creed, religion etc etc.
    yeah but the first image is a much better one

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

"Vikes_King" wrote:
    Very true.. And it's certainly the only image I saw when I was in New York and the Brazilian Carnivale was going on in Mid-town Manhattan, and it's that positive side you see when Brazil plays in the World Cup.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Benet" wrote:
    "AWZeus" wrote:
    I hardly think it's fair to say "soccer is all they have" about Brazil. That might be the typically myopic America-centric view people in the USA seem to have, but that's just silly silly silly in reality.

What else does Brazil have?

Hot women. Lots and lots of hot women with a more progressive moral code, if you follow my drift.

And Carnivale! Now that's a party!

And beach volleyball! Which is basically hot Brazilian women in tiny swimsuits playing volleyball in the sand while Carnivale is playing out in the stands.

Soccer is all they have??

I think NOT!

=Z=
    With all respect mate, I'd hardly say Brazil is a 24 hour Carnivale with hot women roaming the streets looking for easy sex and beach dates, which is the image you paint. It's a country with huge problems with gangs, violent crime, crippling poverty and woeful literacy rates. The point in V-Unit's post, and what I tried to expand upon, is the fact that the World Cup is a unifying force the countries involved. Nations come together to watch their representatives in one of the biggest sporting spectacles in the world, and the spotlight shines on all the nations involved regardless of size, population, culture, colour, creed, religion etc etc.
    Well, duh. Don't assume all of us Americanos are uneducated twats (hey - I used British slang!)

I was trying to make a humerous counter-point to what I thought was a bit of a silly post by V-Unit (although his heart was in the right place). I understand the hold that futbol has everywhere else but here and appreciate what the World Cup means to those countries (like Togo, T&T - hell even Australia!) who take the game a bit more seriously than we do in the USA.

Although, to be honest, I bet the Australians would rather win the Rugby World Cup than the Football one....

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

thetrenches68OL is offline Asst. Coach

i absolutly hate soccer i just dont see how anybody can cheer for a game where they just kick the ball around and it slow as hell too. IMO Just how i think about soccer sorry if i offended
    The Trenches are where Games are Decided

Hutch and K. Will baby

sig by PurplePeopleEaters

"Benet" wrote:
    "Vikes_King" wrote:
    Very true.. And it's certainly the only image I saw when I was in New York and the Brazilian Carnivale was going on in Mid-town Manhattan, and it's that positive side you see when Brazil plays in the World Cup.
    Manhattan...ahhhh! Lived there for 5 years and dated a Brazilian dancer for a bit. Salsarrrrrific!

=Z=

Bdubya is offline Star Spokesman

"thetrenches68OL" wrote:
    i absolutly hate soccer i just dont see how anybody can cheer for a game where they just kick the ball around and it slow as hell too. IMO Just how i think about soccer sorry if i offended
    :roll:
    MC's run away when I kick it
    They act so chicken, they should come with a large drink and a biscuit
    -Canibus

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

"AWZeus" wrote:
    Well, duh. Don't assume all of us Americanos are uneducated twats (hey - I used British slang!)

I was trying to make a humerous counter-point to what I thought was a bit of a silly post by V-Unit (although his heart was in the right place). I understand the hold that futbol has everywhere else but here and appreciate what the World Cup means to those countries (like Togo, T&T - hell even Australia!) who take the game a bit more seriously than we do in the USA.

Although, to be honest, I bet the Australians would rather win the Rugby World Cup than the Football one....

=Z=
    No worries mate, it's one of the inherent failures of messageboards that dry humour and sarcasm rarely make the translation to text!

And you dated a Brazilian salsa dancer huh? You sir have my respect! :razz:

"Bdub" wrote:
    "thetrenches680L" wrote:
    :roll:
    Thank God you got there before I did Bdub! I was holding myself back!!

Must.. Resist.. Urge.. To.. Lay.. The.. Smack.. Down..

Urge to kill rising.. [size=10px]rising[/size].. [size=12px]rising![/size].. [size=12px]fading[/size].. [size=10px]fading[/size].. fading..

:grin:

"Benet" wrote:
    "AWZeus" wrote:

=Z=
    No worries mate, it's one of the inherent failures of messageboards that dry humour and sarcasm rarely make the translation to text!

And you dated a Brazilian salsa dancer huh? You sir have my respect! :razz:
    Well...she was a dancer....I didn't say what kind!

Ahhhhhhh....to be 23 and have a lot of disposable income again!

ccasion5:

=Z=

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4633688.stm
    Any event that convinces a country to stop civil war is worth watching.

How many of us Americans knew there was Civil War in the Ivory Coast in the first place?
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"V-Unit" wrote:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4633688.stm
    Any event that convinces a country to stop civil war is worth watching.

How many of us Americans knew there was Civil War in the Ivory Coast in the first place?
    I did....but I didn't realize that they had declared a ceasefire! Pretty cool !!! :grin:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12