Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This just in..

eelpout72 is offline Starter

This just in..

Im not a big fan of Clarett and i couldnt care less about what happens to him, but i simply dont understand why there is such a fuss about making underclassman eligible for the NFL. There are all of these arguments that this will inevitibly lead to players coming out of high school and entering the NFL directly without spending anytime in college. If this occurs, supposedly this would place the overly young player in a situation where they would get crushed by grown adults.

Quite simply, I just dont understand this argument. Unless it is a kicker/punter, i just dont ever see that happening even if the rules permit it. Currently, there is such a jump from college to pro football already; why would any NFL team even consider drafting a high school player or ANY player that is likely not ready for the NFL? I think that general managers and scouts know football well enough whereby they would not be so stupid to put a young person in that situation in the first place.

I realize that there are precedents in the NBA (Lebron, K.G., Kobe) and Freddy Adu at 14years in MLS, but cmon, coaches and NFL experts know that those guys wont have to face the likes of Ray Lewis and that the NFL is quite different from other sports.

Maybe i give the NFL pundits too much credit and some NFL bozo would actually play some 18 yr old for the sake of novelty, but i just dont see this happening.

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

This just in..

true enough! I don't think that they would actually get drafted either. Scouts know who is ready and who isn't... but at the same time... I can just see some idiot team thinking they are gonna make a huge splash with this kid who thinks he's good enough and then what might have been a good NFL career in the future is ruined because the kid just wasn't ready

eelpout72 is offline Starter

This just in..

although I dont think that NFL pundits would consider playing some 18 year old, evidently some 18 year olds think that they are ready to play in the NFL

you may have seen this already, but if not check out:

http://www.startribune.com/stories/510/4728978.html

lol

LAVike is offline Pro-Bowler

This just in..

Yeah, he can still be eligible for the supplemental draft--the option is still left open. I was happy to see it too. Hopefully it will send a stronger message to all those high school players living in denial. Too much back and forth with this case--enough already!
    "Veni, Vidi, Vikings!"--Julius Caesar

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

This just in..

"SHOW-TIME" wrote:
    well when mike williams makes his appeal couldnt they accept him since the success hes had and actually played two full years of football compared to clarett who was injured and played no football i definately think williams should be able too but idk i guess your right if one goes they have to let everyone soo its a good ruling

This is more than likely gonna happen from Mike's Lawyer. The problem is, it probably won't be settled by the draft on Saturday. What really sucks, is that San Diego will more than likely fill 2 needs in the draft with this ruling. What is gonna happen is, the chargers will take Eli Manning with the first pick. Mike Williams will eventually be allowed into the supplemental draft, and the chargers will get first shot at him, if they feel he is worth their 1st round pick in 2005, which he is. The chargers might very well get Mike Williams and Eli manning, because of this rule. Eli, Williams, and LT, that is a great big 3 for the future.

This ruling will basically take one more guy off the board,when it is our pick. It probably won't be another WR that moves up either, since the other WR's are late first round talent. This means that there is even more of a chance that Will smith, DJ, and Vilma are all off the board when we pick. I already had DJ and smith being gone by our pick, and now with what Tice has said about Vilma, there might be a team or 2 trying to trade ahead of us to get him.

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

This just in..

Statement by NFL Executive Vice President Jeff Pash on U.S. Court of Appeals Order in Clarett Litigation:

“We are pleased that the court has issued a stay. As the court order says, we have ‘demonstrated a likelihood of success on the merits.’ We are grateful for the prompt attention the court has given to this matter and we await its decision on the merits. Pending that decision, Maurice Clarett, Mike Williams and the others who declared for the draft based on the earlier District Court decision are ineligible for this weekend’s draft.”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12