Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This just in.

Quote Originally Posted by NDVikingFan66 View Post
    As sad as this may sound, I don't really view the Wilf's as criminals. They were sued, and lost, which is not necessarily the end of the world. It does cause concern however. I will refer judgment until the whole thing shakes out. On a different note, it is possible the Wilf's will sell as soon as the stadium is built and take the profit and run, but I really think they enjoy owning a football team.

OK Caine....there is your opening....blast away.
    Racketeering is a crime. So yes you may not view them as criminals but in fact that's exactly what they are by the judges own admission.
    I bet you could use a cool one huh Clark...Now you're talkin Eddie...

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    New Jersey has a very wide reaching racketeering law - out of necessity from earlier days. But in any other state this would come down to fraud or default. The racketeering charge stems from their disclosures of finances to the plantiff - they gave him what amounts to false financial statements.

Not that it isn't a big deal - the $84 million was significantly higher than I was expecting - but it isn't a criminal deal. First because the statue of limitations has expired, and second because the civil case has a much lower burden of proof than a criminal case. There is a reason that the DA's office chose not to follow up on it 20 years ago when it first came up, and a reason that it took 20 years in civil court to finally come to a resolution.

So let's not overreact here.

I still think that the Wilfs are a better owner than McComb ever was.
    Well, if you thing committing fraud with a business partner is not a crime then I suppose it would make it easier for you to accept, But the reality is they had a business partnership and they cooked the books in order to keep more than their share of the agreed proceeds at the expense of their partners. Not only does that show that they were fraudulent but it also says a lot about their character and I am not going to be one to give that a pass. Credibility is everything and from this point forward any time his character is called on he is going to have to deal with the fact that in the past he proved he cannot be trusted.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Well, if you thing committing fraud with a business partner is not a crime then I suppose it would make it easier for you to accept, But the reality is they had a business partnership and they cooked the books in order to keep more than their share of the agreed proceeds at the expense of their partners. Not only does that show that they were fraudulent but it also says a lot about their character and I am not going to be one to give that a pass. Credibility is everything and from this point forward any time his character is called on he is going to have to deal with the fact that in the past he proved he cannot be trusted.
    To screw your business partners out 84 million would seem to make the statute of limitations argument a pretty weak point when trying to support the Wilf family.
    Ironic how these guys wanted to hire players with good character .

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Either way, this might be good for the Vikings. If they just pay and move on, YA! They get to move on and focus more on the team. If it leads to a new owner due to criminality, then perhaps we will get an owner that will focus on the team. Either way, the lawsuit that has been hanging over the team MIGHT be winding down.

I only say "might" because it is NEVER that easy for the Vikings...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12