Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: This just in.

  1. #1
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    This just in.

    According to the Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal, the Wilfs have been ordered to pay at least $84 million in a fraud case arising from a New Jersey real estate deal that dates back to 1992.
    And it could get worse. Much worse. The verdict includes an award of punitive damages, which requires the case to be referred to prosecutors for a criminal investigation.

  2. #2
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1
    Maybe if we didn't have criminals as owners they could actually focus on building a team. We went from 8 years of lobbying for a new stadium and before they could break ground they are back in court defending themselves in a 20 year old lawsuit.

    maybe they could give us an itinerary that shows when they are going to have time in their schedules to actually be an owner and start to figure out how to run a team.

  3. #3
    marshallvike's Avatar
    marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Posts
    2,473
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Maybe if we didn't have criminals as owners they could actually focus on building a team. We went from 8 years of lobbying for a new stadium and before they could break ground they are back in court defending themselves in a 20 year old lawsuit.

    maybe they could give us an itinerary that shows when they are going to have time in their schedules to actually be an owner and start to figure out how to run a team.
    Watch out. The rath of Caine will be upon you calling for the Wilfs to run the team.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

  4. #4
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,916
    Quote Originally Posted by marshallvike View Post
    Watch out. The rath of Caine will be upon you calling for the Wilfs to run the team.
    khan-.jpg

    Cainnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!

  5. #5
    smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    893
    This has the smell of new ownership to me. Wonder if we will see a McCombs like fire sale ?

  6. #6
    jmcdon00's Avatar
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,281
    This is a cursed franchise. I didn't think ownership could get worse than Red McCombs, but I was wrong. It sucks that by supporting the Vikings we also support these criminals.

  7. #7
    NDVikingFan66's Avatar
    NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,831
    As sad as this may sound, I don't really view the Wilf's as criminals. They were sued, and lost, which is not necessarily the end of the world. It does cause concern however. I will refer judgment until the whole thing shakes out. On a different note, it is possible the Wilf's will sell as soon as the stadium is built and take the profit and run, but I really think they enjoy owning a football team.

    OK Caine....there is your opening....blast away.

  8. #8
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1
    The charges were for racketeering. I don't think that is insignificant.

    The legislation requires him to own the team for a considerable time period of like 10-15 years or so and if he sells early I believe the state would get repaid for some of the costs of the stadium.

  9. #9
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,604
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    The charges were for racketeering. I don't think that is insignificant.

    The legislation requires him to own the team for a considerable time period of like 10-15 years or so and if he sells early I believe the state would get repaid for some of the costs of the stadium.
    New Jersey has a very wide reaching racketeering law - out of necessity from earlier days. But in any other state this would come down to fraud or default. The racketeering charge stems from their disclosures of finances to the plantiff - they gave him what amounts to false financial statements.

    Not that it isn't a big deal - the $84 million was significantly higher than I was expecting - but it isn't a criminal deal. First because the statue of limitations has expired, and second because the civil case has a much lower burden of proof than a criminal case. There is a reason that the DA's office chose not to follow up on it 20 years ago when it first came up, and a reason that it took 20 years in civil court to finally come to a resolution.

    So let's not overreact here.

    I still think that the Wilfs are a better owner than McComb ever was.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  10. #10
    jmcdon00's Avatar
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,281
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    New Jersey has a very wide reaching racketeering law - out of necessity from earlier days. But in any other state this would come down to fraud or default. The racketeering charge stems from their disclosures of finances to the plantiff - they gave him what amounts to false financial statements.

    Not that it isn't a big deal - the $84 million was significantly higher than I was expecting - but it isn't a criminal deal. First because the statue of limitations has expired, and second because the civil case has a much lower burden of proof than a criminal case. There is a reason that the DA's office chose not to follow up on it 20 years ago when it first came up, and a reason that it took 20 years in civil court to finally come to a resolution.

    So let's not overreact here.

    I still think that the Wilfs are a better owner than McComb ever was.
    A New Jersey judge ruled last month that the Wilfs and their cousin, Leonard Wilf, committed fraud and breach of contract and violated the state's civil racketeering laws in their dealings with Ada Reichmann and her brother Josef Halpern.
    Sounds pretty criminal to me. Criminal charges haven't been filed because the Wilf's are billionaires with a team of lawyers who can drag a case out indefinitely(20 years so far).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •