Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Josh Robinson struggling in camp

Josh Robinson begins task of filling Antoine Winfield's shoes

Robinson is set to replace Antoine Winfield in the slot this season, but has struggled early in camp and profiles as a liability against the run. "Josh has never been inside before, so it's a big transition," DC Alan Williams said. "He's going to make mistakes." Even if Robinson continues to struggle, he's locked into the nickel job. With Jacob Lacey as his only competition, the Vikings don't have any other viable options.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Why not shift Xavier Rhodes to the inside?

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by HEY View Post
    Why not shift Xavier Rhodes to the inside?
    Probably because of his size and physicality. Slot receivers are typically smaller, so Rhodes' size would be better utilized on the outside. We also want to have Rhodes out there on every down, and Robinson playing the nickel.

From what the article says it's just a matter of transition. The coaches believe he has the ability, and are pleased with how he's picking things up.
    "He's going to make mistakes, everybody does when you're new to a position," Williams said. "But I feel good about how he's picking up things."

Coach Leslie Frazier said Robinson's first week of camp has shown potential. The Vikings currently have cornerback Jacob Lacey working at second-team nickel corner behind Robinson.

"We're much more comfortable with him today than we were say three or four days ago when we opened camp," Frazier said. "We just have to keep putting him in situations because this is all new for him and letting him gain experience."

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Anderson View Post
    Probably because of his size and physicality. Slot receivers are typically smaller, so Rhodes' size would be better utilized on the outside. We also want to have Rhodes out there on every down, and Robinson playing the nickel.
    That explanation has some holes.

1. You have the small slot receivers in the likes of Wes Welker, Percy Harvin, Lance Moore and Hines Ward. And you have the big slot receiver in the likes of Jimmy Graham, Marques Colston, Victor Cruz, and a bunch of tight ends who are virtually just big wide receivers. I don't have the stats to back it up, but to me it seems like the slot receiver is many times the biggest receiver on the field as the "split-out wide tight end" has become so popular. Therefore, Xavier Rhodes would be a good match-up on the Rob Gronkowski's of the league.

2. Xavier Rhodes can still play all the downs. He just moves inside in the nickel package.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    By all accounts Josh is having a heck of a good camp. At least from the guys who really know what they are talking about.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by HEY View Post
    That explanation has some holes.

1. You have the small slot receivers in the likes of Wes Welker, Percy Harvin, Lance Moore and Hines Ward. And you have the big slot receiver in the likes of Jimmy Graham, Marques Colston, Victor Cruz, and a bunch of tight ends who are virtually just big wide receivers. I don't have the stats to back it up, but to me it seems like the slot receiver is many times the biggest receiver on the field as the "split-out wide tight end" has become so popular. Therefore, Xavier Rhodes would be a good match-up on the Rob Gronkowski's of the league.

2. Xavier Rhodes can still play all the downs. He just moves inside in the nickel package.
    I don't think it's a good idea to ask a player to switch techniques mid-series if we don't have to. If he's on the field on 1st and 2nd downs covering one guy, why break his rhythm? If he's covering Calvin Johnson, and Johnson lines up in the slot for a play, then sure, let Rhodes follow suit, but otherwise let him do his thing on the outside every down.

The majority of slot receivers are smaller players. It's really hard to classify Colston and Graham as slot receivers. They play all over the field, most of the New Orleans receivers/TEs do. Even teh backs split out sometimes. And Victor Cruz isn't big, he's 6' flat, and he plays smaller than that.

Big receivers take advantage of the sidelines with their catching radius, length and strength to beat bump and run. Of course this isn't universally true, but you're incorrect in saying that the slot guy is many times the biggest receiver on the field. That's only the case for a very small group of teams.

I don't think it would necessarily be a bad thing for Rhodes to play in the slot, but Robinson is better suited for it. He's just riding the learning curve like everyone else would have to. And no corner is covering Gronkowski. If we need to play a nickel package, there will likely be 3 wide receivers on the field. If that's the case, you can't expose a linebacker to a WR's speed. Gronk is a mismatch either way. He has speed on most linebackers, and loads of size on all corners/safeties.

There are some guys that are just tough matchups, and no matter who's playing the slot they're going to give you headaches.
    Last edited by Mr Anderson; 08-05-2013 at 02:32 PM.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    By all accounts Josh is having a heck of a good camp. At least from the guys who really know what they are talking about.
    Lol riiiiiight and who may that be?

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by marstc09 View Post
    Lol riiiiiight and who may that be?
    Arif

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post

i've read the same thing marrdro, josh is having a solid camp overall......

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    My guess is he isn't struggling too bad because he retained the starting corner spot for the first preseason game. Rhodes is the corner during nickle, when Robinson slides back tot he nickle slot - similar to the way Winny was used last year.

I expect Rhodes to be the starting corner by the end of camp with Robinson solidly in the nickle slot.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast