Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    norsefan is offline Training Camp

Is Josh Robinson going to be a faster Antoine Winfield clone?

Josh Robinson joined the Minnesota Vikings defensive backfield a bit "under the radar". He was not a first round, or second round pick, and he hailed from a less than pedigreed College Football Program at the University of Central Florida.

What he has is SPEED, and some skills, combined with desire. As one of the fastest players in this year's NFL Draft Class, Josh Robinson has unique "closing speed" that cannot be coached. Now that he has been through our Vikings Training Camp, Pre-Season Games, a few Regular Season game, and got his first INT I think he is getting ready to impress. I think being in the same Defensive backfield with Antoine Winfield has taken his own desire, and coupled it with a willing mentor that will show Josh Robinson how to use his own skill-set. See Josh Robinson's display of hitting /tackling ability and desire on this play verus the Lions (Kitties) - Josh Robinson sums up Vikings' physical beatdown of Lions in one suplex tackle - CBSSports.com

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    The answer is a resounding NO.

Josh can cover man to man if he has to. Whinny, for the most part can't. Truth of the matter is, he is a fan favorite and only made it to the Pro-bowl because he is know for his "tackling" skills and not his cover skills.

Josh has shown that he can take even a bigger, stronger WR and man up with him and play him pretty effectively in a cover 3 or press man look.

On a side note, I hack on Whinny alot because I think he is on the back end of his career, but yesterday he did a great job. Those to "Tips" didn't get them by much, were key plays when we needed them. Smart play by a crafty old vet my friends. Smart play.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    The answer is a resounding NO.

Josh can cover man to man if he has to. Whinny, for the most part can't. Truth of the matter is, he is a fan favorite and only made it to the Pro-bowl because he is know for his "tackling" skills and not his cover skills.

Josh has shown that he can take even a bigger, stronger WR and man up with him and play him pretty effectively in a cover 3 or press man look.

On a side note, I hack on Whinny alot because I think he is on the back end of his career, but yesterday he did a great job. Those to "Tips" didn't get them by much, were key plays when we needed them. Smart play by a crafty old vet my friends. Smart play my friend.
    you are losing your touch my friend, a crafty old vet like you must always be on his game.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    you are losing your touch my friend, a crafty old vet like you must always be on his game.
    LOL......

I just think that Josh is a better cover corner that Whinny is/was. Truth be told, there is a reason why Whinny never was voted to the Probowl until late in his career, his peers felt the same way. Great in the run, so so vs pass.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Winfield's attitude and approach to the game is what has made him such a valuable player for the Vikings for many years. And for a guy who always harps on the responsibility of a cover corner being equally adept at both run and pass (or was that me?), I find it hard to criticize a guy that is THAT good against the run.

I'm happy Robinson is getting a lot of playing time and is being put against some of the league's premier receivers. His speed is a huge advantage, and it appears he doesn't shy away from physical play. He is still making a fair number of mistakes and needs to improve quite a bit, but he appears to be on a good learning curve.

norsefan is offline Training Camp

Norseman Josh Robinson - suplex tackle

Wazzup witdat?
    I put a killer video link showing Josh Robinson assassinating a Kitties receiver (ex-Vike Nate Burleson) on there, and nobody comments about his Antoine Winfield-like tackling skills!? See the wrestling suplex version here -
    Josh Robinson sums up Vikings' physical beatdown of Lions in one suplex tackle - CBSSports.com
    Last edited by norsefan; 10-01-2012 at 11:47 AM. Reason: show link

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    LOL......

I just think that Josh is a better cover corner that Whinny is/was. Truth be told, there is a reason why Whinny never was voted to the Probowl until late in his career, his peers felt the same way. Great in the run, so so vs pass.
    I agree Winfield was a good Zone DB but never had good cover skills. He was very phsical and a great open field tackler but I think JR has way better cover skills right now then Winny ever had.............my friend.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Winfield's attitude and approach to the game is what has made him such a valuable player for the Vikings for many years. And for a guy who always harps on the responsibility of a cover corner being equally adept at both run and pass (or was that me?), I find it hard to criticize a guy that is THAT good against the run.

I'm happy Robinson is getting a lot of playing time and is being put against some of the league's premier receivers. His speed is a huge advantage, and it appears he doesn't shy away from physical play. He is still making a fair number of mistakes and needs to improve quite a bit, but he appears to be on a good learning curve.
    Not criticizing him. I'm just saying that he is on the downhill side and his poor pass defense (and I'm not talking man to man either) is really starting to degrade.

Go back and watch the game. What I observed was that his zone seemed to be targeted more than the other zones and he required alot more help than the other CB's. Even on the tipped balls (I gave him credit on) he was out of place (to close to the line).

In the end, all older players get to the end and have to go. I'm just saying that Whinny is alot closer to that end than the beginning and I think right now that Josh is a better player when it comes to pass defense skills.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Not criticizing him. I'm just saying that he is on the downhill side and his poor pass defense (and I'm not talking man to man either) is really starting to degrade.

Go back and watch the game. What I observed was that his zone seemed to be targeted more than the other zones and he required alot more help than the other CB's. Even on the tipped balls (I gave him credit on) he was out of place (to close to the line).

In the end, all older players get to the end and have to go. I'm just saying that Whinny is alot closer to that end than the beginning and I think right now that Josh is a better player when it comes to pass defense skills.
    I don't think anyone will argue against you that Winfield is at the end of his career. Being short with below average speed (at this point) is never a good combination when defending the pass. I think he still adds value to the team though, especially as a nickel corner which he is mostly playing these days. He is coming to an end, but that doesn't take away how much he has done during his tenure in MN.

Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    I don't think anyone will argue against you that Winfield is at the end of his career. Being short with below average speed (at this point) is never a good combination when defending the pass. I think he still adds value to the team though, especially as a nickel corner which he is mostly playing these days. He is coming to an end, but that doesn't take away how much he has done during his tenure in MN.
    Agree. Lets not forget, I actually gave him props for his play there this weekend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast