Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26
  1. #1
    Mjölnir's Avatar
    Mjölnir is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    110

    Josh McDaniels/Matt Cassell Combo?

    [size=10pt]Package deal out of New England[/size]

    Ponder this possibility, as many struggling teams will this off-season.

    Any team that is in need of a new head coach and quarterback – and quite often the two go together – could pull off the double dip of the off-season and hire Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, who then could go and recruit and his former quarterback Matt Cassel.
    I say if this possibility is open, Zygi should really go for it. It sounds like a very good potential deal...

  2. #2
    ultravikingfan's Avatar
    ultravikingfan is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    24,514

    Re: Josh McDaniels/Matt Cassell Combo?

    Why is Cassell worth anything?
    Because he is a backup in New England?

    No way I would ever want him.
    He's not even that good.

    I would rather draft a good QB and make him a franchise guy.

  3. #3
    Mjölnir's Avatar
    Mjölnir is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    110

    Re: Josh McDaniels/Matt Cassell Combo?

    I don't think he's that good either. But we don't need a very good QB, just one that can get the job done under centre and make some plays... I think he's proved he can do that at least.

    To be honest, I'm more interested in the potential change at HC... what do people think the potential of Josh McDaniels in MN?

  4. #4
    oaklandzoo24's Avatar
    oaklandzoo24 is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,897

    Re: Josh McDaniels/Matt Cassell Combo?

    I don't really like the idea of hiring coaches out of the NE system unless they are Belichick.
    Belichick has way to much power in that system and to say that an assistant would have success is a great mistake in my opinion.
    I mean look at Crennel and Mangini.
    Mangini is considered a worthless coach on NY and Crennel is beginning to wear out his welcome in CLE right after signing an extension.
    Therefore, I would not touch an assistant in the NE system who really has little to do with their success.
    It is all Belichick over there.
    Belichick and solid veteran players.


    Oh yea Childress was kind of in a similar situation.
    Everyone knows Andy Reid was the one who was making the play calls in Philly and creating more success (also he has McNabb and Westbrook).
    Childress did not have much say in their success and it is clearly showing that he is an incompetent coach in Minny.
    "There are 3 things that sell in America:
    Violence, sex, and drugs.
    The only way you are going to make this game more appealing to the public than it was before is if there are on field orgies at halftime and the domes become massive opium dens."

    [img width=450 height=55]http://img216.imageshac

  5. #5
    gr8vike's Avatar
    gr8vike is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    509

    Re: Josh McDaniels/Matt Cassell Combo?

    "oaklandzoo24" wrote:
    I don't really like the idea of hiring coaches out of the NE system unless they are Belichick.
    Belichick has way to much power in that system and to say that an assistant would have success is a great mistake in my opinion.
    I mean look at Crennel and Mangini.
    Mangini is considered a worthless coach on NY and Crennel is beginning to wear out his welcome in CLE right after signing an extension.
    Therefore, I would not touch an assistant in the NE system who really has little to do with their success.
    It is all Belichick over there.
    Belichick and solid veteran players.
    The only problem is that McDaniels actually calls the plays in NE, That is more then what are current coach did in Philly.

    Thanks PPE for the Sig

    Fighting on the Internet is like competing in the Special Olympics, even if you win, you are still mentally challenged!

  6. #6
    vikesfargo's Avatar
    vikesfargo is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    600

    Re: Josh McDaniels/Matt Cassell Combo?

    McDaniels would drop the West Coast Offense, and install the Erhardt-Perkins offense. I don't know if that means the zone blocking scheme would have to change.

    I'm not a big fan of the WCO, but installing a new offense would mean at least one year would be a rebuilding year for the offense.

    For the 2009 campaign, I'd like to keep the WCO, get a new OC, a new QB, and a new WR. Perhaps some new linemen as well.


    Go Vikings!

  7. #7
    oaklandzoo24's Avatar
    oaklandzoo24 is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,897

    Re: Josh McDaniels/Matt Cassell Combo?

    "vikesfargo" wrote:
    McDaniels would drop the West Coast Offense, and install the Erhardt-Perkins offense. I don't know if that means the zone blocking scheme would have to change.

    I'm not a big fan of the WCA, but installing a new offense would mean at least one year would be a rebuilding year for the offense.

    For the 2009 campaign, I'd like to keep the WCA, get a new OC, a new QB, and a new WR. Perhaps some new linemen as well.
    Exactly...as much as Id love a new coach, we need someone who is going to continue to work the WCO or at least something similar.
    We cant waste our time putting together a whole new program.
    With the contracts we have now, we are suppose to be in a position to win now.
    We have the key pieces but we are missing a great QB, another CB, a RT (cook sucks) and then someone who can motivate this team at the helm.
    Letting Tomlin go was a HUGE mistake on this organizations behalf.
    "There are 3 things that sell in America:
    Violence, sex, and drugs.
    The only way you are going to make this game more appealing to the public than it was before is if there are on field orgies at halftime and the domes become massive opium dens."

    [img width=450 height=55]http://img216.imageshac

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Buffalo, MN
    Posts
    982

    Re: Josh McDaniels/Matt Cassell Combo?

    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Why is Cassell worth anything?
    Because he is a backup in New England?

    No way I would ever want him.
    He's not even that good.

    I would rather draft a good QB and make him a franchise guy.
    Amen to that...
    Proud member of PP.O since April 5th, 2003!

  9. #9
    bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,955

    Re: Josh McDaniels/Matt Cassell Combo?

    If I were Zygi and i'm not, i'd be looking at/or I'd be just fine with Somehow getting Derek Anderson, and as my head coach, the Defensive coordinator of the Giants!.. He could bring in their D-Line coach to run the defense, and i'd like to pick up someone like either Lane Kiffin or Norv Turner (who might loose his job) to run the offense...

    I even wouldn't be opposed to Derek Anderson and Marty ball to come here....

    With that said, i have no idea what's up with the hype on Matt Cassel, i mean really? what has he done???... He can't throw the deep ball, is a game manager at best, and he can scramble a little.... I mean really!!!... Dude is not that good.. if he can't get the ball to Randy deep, then you have a problem... I think he's more a product of the system than actually a competent qb...

    He's no Tony Romo!!!!

  10. #10
    gr8vike's Avatar
    gr8vike is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    509

    Re: Josh McDaniels/Matt Cassell Combo?

    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    If I were Zygi and i'm not, i'd be looking at/or I'd be just fine with Somehow getting Derek Anderson, and as my head coach, the Defensive coordinator of the Giants!.. He could bring in their D-Line coach to run the defense, and i'd like to pick up someone like either Lane Kiffin or Norv Turner (who might loose his job) to run the offense...

    I even wouldn't be opposed to Derek Anderson and Marty ball to come here....

    With that said, i have no idea what's up with the hype on Matt Cassel, i mean really? what has he done???... He can't throw the deep ball, is a game manager at best, and he can scramble a little.... I mean really!!!... Dude is not that good.. if he can't get the ball to Randy deep, then you have a problem... I think he's more a product of the system than actually a competent qb...

    He's no Tony Romo!!!!
    The price we would have to pay for Anderson would be to high in terms of a trade. (Unless he gets cut!) If he were to get cut, I would not have a problem bringing him in, but I wouldn't want to give up any picks or players to get him.

    I do like your call on Steve Spagnuolo, He would be a definate upgrade. I am still holding out hope that Cowher and his 161-99-1 record including playoff games will feel sorry for the Vikings wasting all this talent and come out of retirement to coach us. I'm just daydreaming at work!!!!

    Thanks PPE for the Sig

    Fighting on the Internet is like competing in the Special Olympics, even if you win, you are still mentally challenged!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Josh McDaniels meeting with Vikings on Friday
    By MulletMullitia in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 01-20-2011, 02:16 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-27-2009, 12:22 PM
  3. Chiefs Trade for Matt Cassell
    By Mr Anderson in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 03-03-2009, 06:16 AM
  4. Please remember this when exhibiting man-love for Matt Cassell...
    By Zeus in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 255
    Last Post: 02-10-2009, 05:13 AM
  5. Josh McDaniels to coach the Broncos
    By Tad7 in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-11-2009, 10:35 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •