Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    I was nosing around and found some analysis of Freeman against the Pats. They said Freeman played better than his stats showed but still had the familiar tendencies such as a lack of accuracy in his throws, slow in his drop backs, and slow in his reads.
    Sounds familiar doesn't it ?

Josh Freeman's game film against Patriots tells a different story from his statistics - Bucs Nation

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    LOL! Buh-Bye!?!

Hey Singer, where did you get those numbers? How do they compare with the top 3 or 4 guys in the league? Brady, Rodgers, Brees and/or Peyton...

I don't see this as a bad move at all. 3 mil is nothing to the Wilfs and it didn't cost us any draft picks to bring in another veteran who is a former first round pick. Low risk, possible reward. He's young enough to get better and return to those 2010 numbers where he completed 61.4% for over a 7 yard average and an awesome 26/6 TDs/INTs ratio. In comparison, Ponder's average per pass is a full yard less and his best TD/INT ratio was 18/12.

I hope that Ponder stays on the sits for a few more weeks, and that we get to see what Cassel can do in another game or two, and then we play Freeman, after he's had a chance to acclimate to the new scheme and team.

We pretty much know Ponder is not the guy, he just doesn't seem to have the mental makeup to LEAD a team to play their best. Maybe Cassel and/or Freeman can be the guy, and this season is starting to look like a wash anyway...hopefully, at least we find out more about what this team can do with some other options at QB who can bring a little more downfield game to the field. We can still draft a QB early and groom him behind one or both of these guys...assuming, that we're pretty sure that MBT isn't that guy.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I have never been a fan of his but when the news was trending I decided to go to ewetoob and look at his highlights to see if there was something there that I was missing and to me it was sorta like watching the McNabb hysteria all over again. And the reason for that was I saw a lot of the same things in Freeman's Mechanics that were there in McChunky.

He does not step into his throws and he is consistently pulling his right foot, which should be planted and driving the ball forward and leaving his left foot as the only contact with the ground. This footwork requires all of the force for the throw to come from his upper body and it causes him to not have consistent accuracy on his throws. He also has a slow release reminiscent of Leftwich, although not as exaggerated it is there. I did see a few passes where he did step into the throw and those passes were very good but those mechanical issues are not going to go away by changing the color of his uniform and the coaches track record of watching tape and fixing things is a complete failure.

Someone can go ahead and bookmark this but I am going to come right out and say this move is going to come back and bite the franchise in the ass. He will never be anything we can't get from Cassel and he isn't going to fix this season. Plus next season there are 8 QB's in the draft with every bit as much upside as he has and they would be cheaper.Just remember this thread when the excitement turns to excrement.
    Last edited by Purple Floyd; 10-07-2013 at 11:15 AM.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I have never been a fan of his but when the news was trending I decided to go to ewetoob and look at his highlights to see if there was something there that I was missing and to me it was sorta like watching the McNabb hysteria all over again. And the reason for that was I saw a lot of the same things in Freeman's Mechanics that were there in McChunky.

He does not step into his throws and he is consistently pulling his right foot, which should be planted and driving the ball forward and leaving his left foot as the only contact with the ground. This footwork requires all of the force for the throw to come from his upper body and it causes him to not have consistent accuracy on his throws. He also has a slow release reminiscent of Leftwich, although not as exaggerated it is there. I did see a few passes where he did step into the throw and those passes were very good but those mechanical issues are not going to go away by changing the color of his uniform and the coaches track record of watching tape and fixing things is a complete failure.

Someone can go ahead and bookmark this but I am going to come right out and say this move is going to come back and bite the franchise in the ass. He will never be anything we can't get from Cassel and he isn't going to fix this season. Plus next season there are 8 QB's in the draft with every bit as much upside as he has and they would be cheaper.Just remember this thread when the excitement turns to excrement.
    I saw the complete opposite. I saw a QB that stands tall in the pocket and steps into his throw when he is able to.

purplehelmut is offline Pro-Bowler
    It looks like due to injury, lack of progress, or whatever, that Ponder is out of the equation for no. 1 qb. Maybe he will be demoted to number 3. That gives Cassell the opportunity to win or lose the job over the next two or three games. In the meantime we sign a qb, Freeman, with healthy upside potential for pretty much nothing and give him a few weeks to acclimate. Maybe we put MBT on the practice squad or cut him- doesn't really matter. The Vikings will have three qbs on the roster for the rest of the 2013-14 season that actually have experience. Much upside potential and little downside risk make the Freeman signing a good move. Maybe, unlike such signings in the past, this is our time to catch lightning in a bottle.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    I saw the complete opposite. I saw a QB that stands tall in the pocket and steps into his throw when he is able to.
    Show me where. maybe I missed it. You are telling me he is planting his back foot and not lifting it before the throw?

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Well, in that highlight reel a few posts back, he sure looks to have a hell of a lot more zip on his passes than Ponder does...roughly twice the arm strength, and I'd say way more accuracy on deep balls too. Perhaps, he's less accurate on the shorter throws, cuz his completion % is only a lil bit better, but at least he is connecting on some down field throws.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    At this moment, we have the team to... make it to the Super Bowl? NO. But they could return the the playoffs with the right leadership. This year, we need a guy who can protect AD's running lanes by beating defenses when they try to overload the box, and INSPIRE the rest of the team to buy into the system.

Anyone think Freeman can do this any better than Ponder?

Will he show up on time to team meeting?
    Hell, will he show up to the team PHOTO?
    Will he even CARE??
    He is young, and has the Randy Moss complex: I am more important than YOU. Can the Vikings get him to buy in like Chris Carter did so long ago? But last of all, why is it the vikings always seem to take these types of chances?? Can't we just build a team like everyone else? Farve, McNabb, Cunningham, etc.

Ponder seems like the only time then went conventional, and it was a bust. But that doesn't mean you quit!!

ConnecticutViking is offline Pro-Bowler
    I tend to agree with this article...Freeman is better than Ponder, but about the same as Cassel and I think he will be a failure here too. We will see...
    http://http://sports.yahoo.com/news/...0652--nfl.html

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Show me where. maybe I missed it. You are telling me he is planting his back foot and not lifting it before the throw?
    He is lifting it as he throws. I am seeing both feet planted, the transition of power from the hips and the forward movement that lifts his his back leg that signifies the step into the throw. That's just the legs. Every throw he is going forward. No drfiting back, no drifting sideways (only when having to) simply stepping up and delivering the ball with a tight quick release. Point of release is a the desired 3/4 point. Nothing above the head like Leftrich ( not sure about why you think other). Ball is coming out at the right above ear holes.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast