Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Not so sure of this move myself, although the positive is that they appear to have moved past Ponder & it's only a 1 year deal.

2013 Passes greater than 10 yards;

Freeman: 27%
    Cassel: 50%
    Ponder: 39%

2012 Passes greater than 10 yards;

Freeman: 41%
    Cassel: 38%
    Ponder: 40%

2012 Passes greater than 10 yards;

Freeman: 40%
    Cassel: 38%
    Ponder: 37%
    To add to that:

2012 Pass Attempts greater than 10 yards;

Freeman: 210 (37.6% of total attempts)
    Cassel: (33.2% of total attempts)
    Ponder: 129 (26.7% of total attempts)

Freeman and Cassel both put the ball downfield a helluva lot more than Ponder ever did, and they do so with better accuracy too. I don't think either one of them is the QB of the future, but I think both are better than Ponder.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcdon00 View Post
    The downside is that we wasted 3million and a roster spot for 1 season. The upside is that we got a young franchise QB for cheap.

I like this move.
    I think that was the last of the cap room for this season too....Winfield won't be coming back

Randy Moss is offline Pro-Bowler
    The more I think about, the more I like this decision. Freeman has a ton of potential and is an immediate and huge upgrade over any QB on our roster. This gives us the ability to draft the best player available next year rather than having to reach for a QB (we all know how well that worked out last time). The chances of the third best QB in the draft, which is likely what we would get, being as good as Freeman is really, really low. If the best QB is still there and has a good chance to be "the answer" we take him anyway. At least we have options now.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    At first when I heard the news I thought it was a horrible move. I reacted like many of you have reacted. However, I slept on it and I realize that this is a great move. Here's why.

1) We have given AP a QB that threw for 4000 yards and 27 TDs last season. Not 3 seasons ago, not possibly could throw for 4000. He did it. That shows me there is talent there. People keep harping on his ints and completion percentage but fail to realize he played for a deep ball offense. He didn't play on the safe 2 yard pass offense that we run. His numbers are going to trend up because we don't throw the ball as far as he was before. The longer the pass the great the chance of a breakup.

2) He has 9 fourth quarter comebacks, 10 game-winning drives. Do we have a QB on record with a 4th quarter comeback. Hell Ponder might be the inverse of this. The 4th quarter blown game.

3) He has accomplished these stats without facing the advantageous coverages that AP will get him. I don't know if you guys realize but the coverages that our team faces are very simple to beat for a true NFL QB. ( they are still complex compared to shit I have seen but NFL QBs should be wishing they could know that a safety is going to be in the box on every play. It opens up the field in ways Freeman has never seen. Ponder's numbers would be worst without Peterson. Think about that for a second.

4) We got ourselves a young former 1st round pick QB for nothing. If we can put some lipstiq on this pig and turn it into a lady, it could be the steal of the decade. We didn't have to trade for shit. Think about it Flynn was traded for, Foles and Cousin are probably going to demand a high draft pick. We got a player as good as any of them and better than Flynn for nothing.

5) We are risk free. We bring him in, he sucks, he walks. He plays well, we sign him. Either way, Cassell and Freeman will give us a QB option we haven't had since Favre left.

6) The Ponder experiment is over.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moss View Post
    The more I think about, the more I like this decision. Freeman has a ton of potential and is an immediate and huge upgrade over any QB on our roster. This gives us the ability to draft the best player available next year rather than having to reach for a QB (we all know how well that worked out last time). The chances of the third best QB in the draft, which is likely what we would get, being as good as Freeman is really, really low. If the best QB is still there and has a good chance to be "the answer" we take him anyway. At least we have options now.
    Agreed,
    With this guy we don't have to wait 3 years for him to develop. We can draft another corner high and finally have something that looks like an NFL DB. Ship Chris Cook out..

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    The guy is talented for sure. I just question the timing.

I guess it was a now or never kind of thing.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    To put a positive spin on it...

It will be nice to have a guy who can throw an out route without being a pick-six

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Not a big fan of Freeman never have been. The guy has talent, but he's always struggled with the area between his ears. My first job out of college an old fellar told me this place may not drive you to drink, but if you do drink this place will make you a drunk. The Vikings seem to have a similar influence. Going back to college, and if you ask K-State fans I think they will tell you they never felt real comfortable with this guy.

That being said, I can understand the move. Pretty much ices Ponder's future I would guess, unless Frazier is still claiming he's our QB

It's only a 1 year contract, so...does that mean the FO will push to see him play to see what he can offer or do they stay with Cassell if he continues to lead the team to victories. And who's call is it, Frazier or the FO? It seems Frazier is losing more and more control over decisions.

If next year means we have a QB roster of Cassell, Freeman and a drafted QB then it would be hard to argue that we didn't improve our talent at the QB position. That is assuming that Freeman shows enough to warrant a second year and that we can actually sign him to 2 year'ish type deal without having to proclaim him our franchise QB and make it a long term high dollar deal. If the latter, then I think the purple futility just enters another chapter of misery.

Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Not a big fan of Freeman never have been. The guy has talent, but he's always struggled with the area between his ears. My first job out of college an old fellar told me this place may not drive you to drink, but if you do drink this place will make you a drunk. The Vikings seem to have a similar influence. Going back to college, and if you ask K-State fans I think they will tell you they never felt real comfortable with this guy.

That being said, I can understand the move. Pretty much ices Ponder's future I would guess, unless Frazier is still claiming he's our QB

It's only a 1 year contract, so...does that mean the FO will push to see him play to see what he can offer or do they stay with Cassell if he continues to lead the team to victories. And who's call is it, Frazier or the FO? It seems Frazier is losing more and more control over decisions.

If next year means we have a QB roster of Cassell, Freeman and a drafted QB then it would be hard to argue that we didn't improve our talent at the QB position. That is assuming that Freeman shows enough to warrant a second year and that we can actually sign him to 2 year'ish type deal without having to proclaim him our franchise QB and make it a long term high dollar deal. If the latter, then I think the purple futility just enters another chapter of misery.
    You are always the voice of reason but I don't always agree with you. I'm a K-State fan and I wasn't sold on the kid. He has to tools but he needed a coach to bring it out of him. Yet, I think this is a good fit for him. Morris was too lax and the other guy too strict.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    You are always the voice of reason but I don't always agree with you. I'm a K-State fan and I wasn't sold on the kid. He has to tools but he needed a coach to bring it out of him. Yet, I think this is a good fit for him. Morris was too lax and the other guy too strict.
    It seems more and more of your posts to me are starting out with that sentence

IMO, Freeman is one of those athletes that you want to believe in because he shows all the physical talents, but he never seems to be able to elevate his team enough to matter. He is clearly more proven than Ponder and is statistically pretty close to Cassell with age on his side. So again, I'm not against the move, I just hope we don't get fooled into thinking this guy is going to take us to the promised land or we may have another 5-6 years of mediocre football.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast